Author Topic: Advice needed on dealing with ICBC over our car being written off.  (Read 15375 times)

Offline el_flechador

Wondering if any of you could give me some advice on dealing with ICBC, in short our daily(1990  subaru legacy wagon) was written off by a semi truck rear ending it, icbc has written off the car and 3rd party is totally to blame. We are left to negotiate price for the car with icbc claims adjuster dept. They have said that they have already scrapped the car????
Obviously i expect them to low ball me,and i can supply bills for mechanical work done.

Any advice as regards how the process goes/how long it takes?

thanks in advance.

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
Re: Advice needed on dealing with ICBC over our car being written off.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:54:10 PM »
True story: I was once the meat in  a three car rear-ender sandwich in my Karmann Ghia. When I bought the car I declared the value on the transfer papers at $1200.00. I had actually paid $3600. When the car got hit, ICBC said "well, then we'll just cut you a cheque for the 1200 and you'll be on your way."
"No," I said, "I undervalued the car on the transfer papers to save money on taxes."
"But that's illegal!"
"Yes, but I'm still not accepting 1200 for this car."

In the end, they sent an independent appraiser to my place of work - at no cost to me. His appraisal was within one hundred dollars of what I had paid for the car 4 months previously.

ICBC did not report me, and paid to have my car fixed properly.
You are their customer and are paying them for service. The onus is on them to value your car properly. Stand your ground and insist they provide an independent appraiser.
Jason Hamilton

Offline Jerome

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 11:02:20 PM »
Not really too much you can do over what the last guy said other than get a lawyer involved. If there is a bodily injury claim involved they are MUCH more willing to make you happy... and will pay out more to get you to sign off. just stand your ground. You don't want your car back as much as you want what it's worth so search out similar condition baru's on the net and bring the ads in with you to the adjuster + your bills.
Sucks to your assmar.

Offline nivag

• Gavin Lee
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 06:49:34 AM »
I just went through this process a couple months ago when a tree fell on my volvo... ICBC will come at you with a below market value no question. But they will give you more if you prove market value to be higher... All you can really do is collect any recent work done that adds value and go on line and collect comparables (craigslist, kijiji, etc). They need to be same model, condition etc... They only need 3 for proof so go find the highest examples that are same model, similar region and similar condition. If you tell them it's worth more all they do is pull up recent ads and use those as well. You are better to start earlier than later, my process took several weeks to finalize. Good luck... 

Offline ray

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 08:44:11 AM »
Years ago i wrecked my SR5 toyota truck . Mint condition , however high km's . They offered me $14800.00 , I said joking you can do do better . He then said $ 15600.00 . Pretty fair , even made money .
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 08:48:15 AM by ray »

Offline Alp

• I’m not your type. I’m not inflatable.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 09:28:15 AM »
ICBC has been fair with my pay outs.  Have the right info to show value and they do pay.

Offline el_flechador

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 09:48:47 AM »
Thanks folks i figured the above but wasn't aware an independant accessor could be used too. i have done the on line research and for the same car i found only 1 in bc and a couple in northern washington, any idea if they would accept the WA values?
Yes we have a lawyer for the other stuff but he recommend we do the car our selves as so his cut would not be applicable to the cost.

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 12:04:22 PM »
Never had a issue, even cars i have rebuilt. find ten examples of your car for sale in the same or equal shape and print them off, from here to toronto. and submit them as your "as per examples" and that is the value u feel it is worth and it is the same thing they do. they no longer use the "blue book value" thats about the best advice i can give you.
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline rolls and pleats

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 07:54:15 PM »
ICBC has been fair with my pay outs.  Have the right info to show value and they do pay.

I'm with Alp. They have always been fair with me. They can't argue with facts. Don't lie, because karma will bite you in the ass

Offline Batan

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 10:16:08 PM »
Haven't dealt with them car-wise(knock on wood) but I had a motorcycle write off. My wife's motorcycle was written off last summer(a '99 Suzuku SV650). I expected ICBC to lowball me so I did the research before talking to them. I payed $2500 for the bike 2 years before that and at the point of the crash I just put in some $350 into new tires and it had 32k km. The bike also had a rebuilt status. ICBC came back with an estimate number, taxes in: $4006. I took the money, ran,  then went to WA and go her the same bike, but generation newer, mint, with 4k miles and it cost me maybe a hundred over what they gave us, here and all inspected.
- Ermin
'69 Riviera Bus
'74 Super Beetle
formerly '61 Ghia

duostyling

Offline el_flechador

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 05:27:30 PM »
Not trying to stick em where it hurts just trying to get what i think is a fair price for a car that there aren't too many of around.especially in the condition ours was. Thanks for the advice though folks i hope to have it all sorted by the end of the week.