Author Topic: Aircare gave me my money back?  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Thomas

Aircare gave me my money back?
« on: September 03, 2011, 10:28:59 AM »
Put the car back on the road for the weekend to have some fun and since it was running so good I thought I would pop by aircare this morning and give it a try. After they finished testing it they came in the room and told because of the way I have the engine setup the were not able to do the idle test because I was not pushing out enough exhaust to get a proper reading. They gave me my money back and sent me on my way. Not sure what to think of that? I came home and checked the exhaust to see if there was a leak but didn't find any. The only other thing would be my idle speed which I set at 1000rpm with my digital timing light. I not sure how high I can go on my idle before they would they would say it's too high? Thanks Tom
58 Beetle

Offline buddy boy

• Marked for life
Re: Aircare gave me my money back?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 02:09:30 PM »
i believe 1100rpm is the limit

"only dead fish swim with the stream"

Offline Bruce

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 03:35:44 PM »
Jag is right, the limit is 1100rpm.  But in order for them to kick you out for a high idle speed, they have to put their sensor over the engine to take an actual reading.
I get harassed almost every time in my yellow car because the tach reads 200 rpm too high.  They see 1200 and threaten to fail me.

Since you checked for exh leaks, it is most likely their sensor wasn't shoved far enough up your pipe.  The sensor they use 99% of the time is a solid tube about 2' long.  By putting a hose over top of the sensor and your tail pipe, they can help seal out the air that pulses back into the muffler.  Did they play with a big black hose?  Or, they can break out the flexible sensor and insert it all the way.  My guess is that they misplaced their flexible one, lost it, or were too lazy to look for it.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 04:03:42 PM »
They used the solid one and they were trying it with the black hose at all different angles.
58 Beetle

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 07:40:10 AM »
So did they give u a fast pass or condition pass due to their failer to test it?
Or they just tell ya ur Fuc#ed.

Im assuming they told ya "they can't do it"

So can u get insurance?
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)