Author Topic: Oil Slinger  (Read 1238 times)

Offline thumper911

• Cruise for Your Cause
Oil Slinger
« on: March 01, 2008, 07:56:35 PM »
I'm working on this buildup of my 2275....
I had the complete Scat kit for the new crank gear etc and had this miscelaneous washer that I didn't think too much of. It was placed in my \"to research where it was for\" pile. I now have the case sealed together and had this washer that I was thinking would be installed on the outside of the case before the pulley. I decided to look into it more and found out it's the oil slinger....and to be installed while the case is apart. DOH!
So, can I manage some other way around this slinger? ie What's a crank sand seal? Anyhow, how stupid am I for leaving out this slinger? Is this going to cause big issues once she's all fired up? It just seemed to so loose when I tried getting it installed on the crank earlier...

Advice, bashing or non, is appreciated. Thanks!   :rolleyes:  
All Stressed Out And No One To Choke!!!

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Oil Slinger
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 08:43:09 PM »
I left one out of a 1600 once when my father in law was bombarding me with stupid questions  :wacko: (lesson learned, put down the tools when he walks in, especially when closing a case).
It hasn't leaked yet in 5 years but a sand seal is waiting on the shelf if it ever does.

It is loose on the crank during assembly, the pulley pinches it tight.
A sand seal is a rubber oil seal that either needs the case machined larger to press fit or it's mounted in a flange that will press into the existing hole in the case, both require a matching pulley and provide a positive seal instead of the open gap between the case and pulley.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline thumper911

• Cruise for Your Cause
Oil Slinger
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 10:02:34 AM »
Well, with your info Busdaddy and pulling some info off Samba, I decided I'm not going to let a $2 \"washer\" have the potential to ruin my engine.
So last night the engine came apart again. Better now than when she's built up to longblock or even further. I guess it's just a bunch of cleanup and making sure this slinger is on the correct way. And just to confirm this, the concave of the slinger faces out (towards the pulley)???? The \"How to Rebuild...\" book I'm using doesn't even mention this slinger....kinda odd....
Thanks again.
All Stressed Out And No One To Choke!!!

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Oil Slinger
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
Good for you, if I had found it just after I buttoned up the case I would have done the same thing but unfortunately I didn't find it until I was cleaning up after closing the decklid, if it wasn't my own bus I wouldn't have let it slide. You're right, concave side goes away from the flywheel.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS