Author Topic: Lowering A Ghia  (Read 1510 times)

Offline vduballstar

• http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/vduballstar/kewlcan.jpg
Lowering A Ghia
« on: October 28, 2007, 10:20:59 PM »
I just bought a '70 Ghia and would like to lower it a bit.  This is where I hit the fork in the road.  I don't have a lot of money to drop into it right now but I don't want to cheap out and do stuff that I'll regret later.
So what do you guys recomend for the best way to go on this?
Thanks

Offline dirtydeedss

Lowering A Ghia
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 12:23:29 AM »
lowereing the back is free, just adjust the springplates and beam adjusters for the front are about 30 bucks from acvw.net

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Lowering A Ghia
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 07:36:04 PM »
lowereing the back is free, just adjust the springplates and beam adjusters for the front are about 30 bucks from acvw.net
what he said^^^^

in addition to that, in order to install beam adjusters, it will require you to remove and disassemble the beam, cut it, weld in the adjusters, and re-assemble and re-install the beam.

another option is buying and installing drop spindles. they will give you a set 2.5\" drop and will increase the front track by about 1/2\" (i think). this may or may not cause tire to fender clearance issues (ftr, you might run into the same clearance issues with the beam adjusters, depending on how low you go & what size tires you run).

imho, drop spindles are an easier install but you'll still need to deal with pressing out/in balljoints. they also cost a little more ($200 +/- a bit).

either way you go, dont forget a set of caster shims (to maintain proper caster after the drop)and other parts that may need replacing (beam bushings, tie-rods, balljoints).

good luck.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 07:37:47 PM by silas »

Offline Cameron

Lowering A Ghia
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 01:45:22 PM »
I'd like to add to Silas' comment. Check your existing front suspension. It is very likely that the beam on a 1970 Ghia is rusty to the point where it will not be worth welding in adjusters. If you find any rust holes, just buy a beam with the adjusters already welded in. You will still need caster shims. And don't forget a wheel alignment.  

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline vduballstar

• http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/vduballstar/kewlcan.jpg
Lowering A Ghia
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 07:52:19 PM »
Front beam looks really solid but I may go the route with buying a beam that already has them in... so we'll see how it goes.  I bought this car a month ago and I hoped to be into it more by now but life gets in the way... oh well
Thanks for the advice and I'll shoot more questions on here when I run into something
Jeremy

Offline blarneyman

Lowering A Ghia
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 08:42:36 PM »
You can call me stupid, but I thought if you used drop spindles, you didn't need caster shims. :blush:

Am I right or wrong in this?
www.mbvv.org
My \"new\" 1970 Ghia

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Lowering A Ghia
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 11:11:37 PM »
And don't forget a wheel alignment.
good point. i was thinking about it i just didnt mention it. ;)

You can call me stupid, but I thought if you used drop spindles, you didn't need caster shims.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 11:12:06 PM by silas »