Author Topic: Another One Bites The Dust  (Read 1810 times)

Offline mike

Another One Bites The Dust
« on: October 30, 2006, 12:44:22 AM »
My valve lash was constantly increasing to the point where I had to adjust it every 100-150 Km. Each time it would be between 10 to 20 thou. During this time my oil had a little silvery shine to it like it was full of moly lube. The particles were not magnetic so I thought it might have been my lifter bores getting wiped out or my bearings being worn away because of the pitted lifters. In any case I stopped driving the motor and just tore it down today. Here
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 01:19:19 PM by mike »

Offline Hansk

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 09:56:54 AM »
Wow , that sucks.  How many miles on the motor? What kind of oil were you using?  I just recently attended an oil seminar put on by elf oils.  It seems the main focus of automotive oil manufactures is fuel economy and compatibility with catalytic converters, not the wear of old fashion flat tappet cams.  I asked the rep. about this afterwards and He knew of the problem and suggested  motorcycle oils and added that even those may soon go the direction of automotive oils.
also see my post \"flat cams\" for the magic cure.
Big fat black fastback

Offline mike

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 11:57:11 AM »
The motor was only alive for about 900 kms and adjusting valves every 100 kms got pretty boring fast. Sucks even more that I couldn't really enjoy the new amount of power because I was constantly stressing about why my valvetrain was so loud... I am running shell rotella and it was broken in with GM EOS. In hindsight, maybe I should have broken in the motor in with single springa, but judging from all the posts out there, this would probably have just delayed the inevitable.  

Do you know if this oil additive is available anywhere locally?

Offline Bruce

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 12:55:17 PM »
Part of your problem is the Scat lifters.

Offline mike

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 01:27:30 PM »
Bruce, you are right, I knew this was a risk and I decided to take it. At the time I couldn't justify the ~$400 for \"proper\" lifters. I think it's safe to say that most of us can't justify it until they have gone through it.

Here I am keeping my fingers crossed for Udo's lifters.

On the bright side, I can upgrade some of my internals in preperation for nitrous.  :rolleyes:  

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 01:40:41 PM »
On the bright side, I can upgrade some of my internals in preperation for nitrous.  :rolleyes:
now you are talking

but bacck to your lifters some things you can do next time are make sure you have correct tapper on the nose of the cam as well as the correct convext shape on the lifter face.
-go back to my engine build up in the members section and the measurements/pictures are listed in the nos motor build up as i can't remember 100% what i had for measurments.
-also if your engine sees alot of street/city driving turn up the idle speed-
-also increase your connecting rod side clearance and rod radial oil clearance ,you could even grind a few notches in the rod cap on the bottom.
-the idea here is to remember that the cam / lifters are splash oiled!!! get as much oil down there as you can
plus run a correct oil viscosity based on your bearing clearances

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline Bubba

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 04:00:12 PM »
If you want to give those parts up for some metallurgical forensic analysis, I will do it for free and post the results.

Csaba
64 Beetle
86 Nissan Multi
81 Rabbit
90 Malibu Euro F3
94 H-D FXDWG

Any country that protects rights of criminals over rights of honest citizens is not worth living in.

Offline mike

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 11:20:35 AM »
Jim, I've already read over your nitrous post several times, I actually have it saved on my computer for reference, quite informative! As for the side clearance I'm already running a rod side clearance of about ~.022, which is larger then I would like but it's what. Do you have any pictures of a notched rod cap? One last thing, get ready for some nitrous questions... :)

Bubba, I think I

Billyisgr8

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 01:08:32 PM »
I notch my caps 1/16\" deep at 4:00 and 8:00 position using a thin 1/16\" cut-off wheel, then also put a notch into the rod at 12:00 inline with the web on both sides of the rod and cap.  I also run approx .017\" side clearance on my rods.

Kevin

Offline Bubba

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 10:28:56 PM »
Bubba, I think I
64 Beetle
86 Nissan Multi
81 Rabbit
90 Malibu Euro F3
94 H-D FXDWG

Any country that protects rights of criminals over rights of honest citizens is not worth living in.

Offline flat4

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 12:56:36 PM »
Has anyone out here caught this problem in earlier stages?  I'm curious to know what I should be looking for on the lifters before re-assembling my engine.  I'm also using an 86B and Webcam lifters.  Are all Webcam lifters bad?  Has anyone had success with them?
Water is for ducks
Reservoir Dubs/Der Kleiner Rennwagens
1970 No Skool Looker Beetle 13.040@101.25 MPH
1969 Retro 80's Beetle Drag Machine 12.841@104.61 MPH
1975 Super Phat Chick
Sand Rail Project

Offline mike

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 07:30:49 PM »
Webcam lifters are repackaged Scat lifters, and Scat lifters are crap. If you do searches on the subject you'll find a lot of other people have the the same problems.