Author Topic: Powder Coating  (Read 4995 times)

Offline captCRUNCH

• http://
Powder Coating
« on: January 16, 2004, 11:13:32 AM »
hey, was wondering if anyone has tried powder coating their exhaust? will it hold up to the exhaust temps?? this isn't for my car exhaust...its going on my dirt bike so transfering heat or other vw related problems that might occur might not be an issue here. if powder coating  wont be a good choice then i need some other way to get a flat black DURABLE finish that wont burn up on the first ride like bbq paint!!

ok and for those that might not be familiar with powder coating here goes my brief speal on what it is and how its done (bare with me...i'm not always the best at this).

powder coating is a process where a peice of bare, clean metal is negativly charged and the powder sprayed out is positivly charged. by doing this the object being sprayed attracts the powder to it and gets covered evenly and completly, no thin sports here. because the way the process is done, you must mask off any areas that you do not want to get covered (the powder will get pulled to any bare, exposed metal). there can be mistakes sometimes so it may not be recomended to do carbs or other parts that have small passages that must stay exact (once this process is done it is very hard to take off). after the peice is coated it gets baked (for how long and what temp i'm not sure)...and there you have it, a good looking peice that is much more durable than paint.

so can anyone add more info to my powder coating class or answer my question??  

Russ

Powder Coating
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 11:40:13 AM »
powder coating is baked at 400 degree's for about 20min(depends on the piece)
if a part is left in the oven too long it will burn and discolour(at 400 degree's)
i'm not sure how hot the exaust will get but i would bet that it will not hold up on a motor bike.
ceramicoating will stand to 1000 degree's try koolcoat 802-2013(not sure on the coulours other than a polished silver though)

Russ

Offline Bruce

Powder Coating
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 01:08:16 PM »
I had my valve covers powdercoated, and they can't take the heat of the oil, so there's no way they would stand an exhaust.

Offline Krist3Grant

Re: Powder Coating
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:13:08 AM »
Same here many of my friends suggested me for ceramic coating. Ceramic is for high heat applications as it shows better result than liquid or powder coating specially during high temperature. So just go for ceramic coating on exhaust!!!
http://www.decoralamerica.com

Offline meanman

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 09:26:03 PM »
 Ceramic coating is the only thing that will stand up to the heat (other than high heat paint).  Ceramic coat can be gotten in many colours and will also add performance benefits as well as look good as it allows the exhaust gasses stay hot which in turn keeps the exhaust velocity high.

Offline blue bus

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 06:36:33 AM »
I am using POR on my porsche exhaust and it holds up just fine.