Author Topic: Help!  (Read 987 times)

vwjohn53

Help!
« on: November 06, 2003, 07:38:35 PM »
the situation is my 1970 swingaxle bug needs to have the tranny replaced, so i have another complete swingaxle to put in.......easy, right?....... well i've done this two many times...... the motor is disconnected (EVERYTHING) but the motor hangs up when you try to pull it out, it won't come out. the starter bolt is out and the starter is out and the top of the motor wants to pull out but the bottom is hanging up........ well, i thought that maybe by chance the clutch might be the problem so i disconnected the clutch arm spring and no luck....... any ideas?.........the only thing i can think of is when putting the tranny in the last time i put in urethane bushings for the transmission mount and you know the bolts that go into the bottom of the tranny and then have nuts on them inside the bell-housing, maybe i put some bolts that might be too long than stock, so the machined part of the flywheel clears them but when you come to pulling the motor that the teeth of the flywheel won't clear the nuts............. boy, this sounds painfully trivial when you put it on paper, i could describe it better in person..........DOES ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION OR DO YOU AGREE WITH WHAT I THINK IT IS?       the motor and tranny are still together 'cause i don't want to break anything......... maybe i should put cold water on the two of them and see if they come apart... thanks for reading my rambling and please help..............regards, vwjohn

Offline moni

• http://www.texturedimpressions.com
Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 09:51:15 AM »
hey vwjohn,
seems to me those would have to be some long bolts; but maybe that's it... is engine completely off the tranny spindle? could it be catching on the teeth somehow? if it's the bottom catching, can you get another jack under there and do simultaneous up-tilt-turn-up-jiggle-up movements to get that bitch off?

hang in there. that sucker will come out eventually.  :rolleyes:  
Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me, but deep down I know that's not true. Some smaller countries are neutral.