Author Topic: Conversion Advice  (Read 1204 times)

Offline kombikruiser

Conversion Advice
« on: August 10, 2005, 09:28:38 PM »
im about to embark on a gas/diesel conversion on a synchro a friend has bought and am looking for advice or pitfalls to avoid during this little endeaver.

i'm aware of a few of the the modification i need to make, such as the bellhousing, motor mounts, and wire harness issues, but im sure someone around here has done a simaler swap and knows of some things to keep an eye out for.

Basiclly its a 1989 sychro westy with a worn motor. my buddy wants to build his dream bus and has got in touch with a 1.9L turbo diesel crate motor.

if anyone can help me find documentation or get me in touch with someone who is familer i'd really appreciate it.

thanks  

vic
'57 Type 1
'67 Type 1
'66 Type 2
'67 Type 3 Fastback

Matt

Conversion Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 09:48:56 PM »
That sounds like an interesting conversion. Good to see ya back Victor!

Offline HeliMike

Conversion Advice
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 10:22:45 PM »
Hey Vic, if you get into a jam and have time to cruise out to Surrey on a Saturday (don't even bother trying to phone him), go ask Eddy at the Bug Shop about the conversion process. I've seen him do 2 of them so far and the owners love 'em. He also did a couple with a 2.0L 8V Golf motor that kicked some ass.

Just my 2 cents.

67 Sunroof Beetle

Offline 68IIIbuggy

• http://
Conversion Advice
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 08:24:46 PM »
Fast Forward Automotive in Quesnel sells a complete kit for this conversion, and can probably answer any questions.

Offline UPM1

Conversion Advice
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 07:54:25 AM »
I have adaptor kits to do the 1.6, 1.8 and the 2.0 rabbit, Jetta motor conversion.  They come with the adaptor plate, lightened flywheel, pilot bearing and bolts.
Chreers
Chris.