Author Topic: Porting Heads  (Read 1610 times)

Offline josh

Porting Heads
« on: July 27, 2005, 09:12:28 AM »
I bought a set of 044 heads when I built the motor and just did a quick port match to the manifolds and blended in the seats. Now that I have it apart to re-ring I think i'm gonna open them up some, kinda like a wedge port shape, and massage the chambers a little.
    At the same time some dual springs are going in and the machinist I was talking to is saying it's a lot easyer to cut for the springs if the guides are removed first..........true or no? If so it will be easier to get the flapper wheel into the rest of the runner with them gone.
    Next question, what does de-shrouding the valves mean?
    One more, when looking in the combustion chambers, there are spots around the seats where it looks like they were peened over to secure them in the head. Is it ok to clean up that area with the flapper wheel or should I steer clear???? I really dond want to experience a dropped seat :!:

thanks in advance
josh
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Bruce

Porting Heads
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 12:48:29 PM »
the machinist I was talking to is saying it's a lot easyer to cut for the springs if the guides are removed first..........true or no?
False.  How are you going to accurately cut the OD of the guide boss if there's nothing to pilot from?

You need to talk to Darren K.  He'll get you another 50hp from your heads.

Offline dannyboy

Porting Heads
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 01:18:37 PM »
KROC is the man when it comes to heads.....

Billyisgr8

Porting Heads
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 03:41:26 PM »
The guides have to stay in to cut for double springs , I will be doing this exact thing pretty soon, I'll post a picture of the tool  I am going to make when I do this.

Kevin

Offline josh

Porting Heads
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 04:36:18 PM »
False.  How are you going to accurately cut the OD of the guide boss if there's nothing to pilot from?

I dunno, got the impression that it was the jig/tool he was using. What about the other stuff, I kinda like doing my own work when possible.............I have heard some pretty good things about Darren, even the guy I phoned @ Empi was raving about him. :rockon:  
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Billyisgr8

Porting Heads
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 08:37:24 PM »
Here you go fresh from the mill.  I used a valve as the pilot for indexing from the valve guide.

Kevin

Offline josh

Porting Heads
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 07:56:40 AM »
Right on Kevin, gonna see if the machine shop at work can fix me up today, if not i'm dropping them off at Ellice auto. Everything is comming together, i'll try and post some pics of the porting and my fan shroud mods soon.
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2