Author Topic: Trailing Arms  (Read 872 times)

Offline woodsy

• http://
Trailing Arms
« on: November 23, 2005, 08:25:34 PM »
Starting to put my front end back together, wanted to know, if  the trailing arms have to go back on a specific side?  I have since painted them so I have no idea now what side they came off.  Thanks in advance.

Woodsy

Offline Hansk

Trailing Arms
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 10:06:49 PM »
Link pin ?  I'm thinking it doesn't matter. Can someone confirm this?

Big fat black fastback

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Trailing Arms
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 10:21:49 PM »
good question...

i would say that it would be best to replace them to the side from which they came. parts that wear together should be replaced together. allthough the arms shouldnt flex or bend too much (not as much as the bars) they are probably worn and used to a certain movement and direction of flex. swapping them side to side may effect there structural integrity.

allthough if it comes right down to it, you would probably be ok.

i'm just thinking out loud, so i cannot confirm this info.

anyone else??

Offline woodsy

• http://
Trailing Arms
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 10:28:06 PM »
ya its a link pin.  On the uppers, one has the VW symbol with a 54 beside it and a \"19 R\", the other upper has a VW symbol with a 32 beside it and \"S 19\".  The lower arms have VW 4 and 12M, the other lower has VW 7 and 12H.  I dont know what these number mean if any one does I would be interested.  

Thanks.  

Offline Mike Scott

Trailing Arms
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 08:48:47 AM »
It doesn't matter on ball joint front ends, as grub screw locations are swapped. One side the grub screws are on the top of the arm the other side they are on the bottom of the arm. They are identical

EDIT: Whoops, except the ball joint would be sticking up;)

If I remember correctly on some if not all link pin front ends the grub screws are on the same top or bottom. If you swap them the \"locator indent\" in your torsion leaves wont line up.

I might be wrong, but after you shove in your control arm make sure the indent in the leaves lines up

Cheers
Mike
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 08:53:52 AM by sick-d-three »