Author Topic: Ghia Help Plse  (Read 5965 times)

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2005, 01:55:52 PM »
My Father and me drive the red ghia convertible in Maple Ridge, If  you need any help more give me a call!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 01:56:16 PM by steveo_32 »
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline steveo_32

• Waz up
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2005, 02:03:44 PM »
There does seem to be alot of help thou, If ya need me im there!! How's that.
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert

Russ

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2005, 07:42:48 PM »
any word how bad the ghia was? or good it is?

Offline OUTKAST

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2005, 07:51:55 PM »
Any updates boys way to go helping out hope things get back on track :(  

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2005, 08:38:58 PM »
bruce, cameron and i met steve and his father at adria and had a good look at the ghia.

i'm going to let steve fill you all in with the details, but i will say that there is alot of work that needs to be done.

Offline HeliMike

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2005, 09:51:41 PM »
That stinks! :angry:

I've been keeping an eye on this post since it started, and having been-there-done-that and been burned, I'll help out with what little time I have.

You've got a good group of guys on your side' Steve(and wife) so don't sweat it you'll be taken care of. :rockon:

So is the bad news a major hit or major rust?

67 Sunroof Beetle

Offline steveo_32

• Waz up
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2005, 10:05:28 PM »
The Good side still is that it is a 74 ghia I know of one near 100 mile that is green in fair shape for about 100 to 200 bucks. Even if it is in horrible shape the engine, Tranny, vin, glass is all transferable.
When I first bought my 57 vert it looked good but 73 pounds of tar hides alot! (No word of a lie 73 lbs)
All I saw was \"57 Vert\" not two doors and four tires which is what i have been left unrusty!
One weekend with two cars side by side and new brake's were Laughin! Im all in for Ghia rebuild!!
Lets find this guy a decent body!
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert

Offline Needles

• http://
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2005, 10:44:21 PM »

Lets find this guy a decent body!
Not my 'GIMPY' body...

Offline xcasper

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2005, 11:27:58 PM »
Ok, you guys all rock and roll.  Cheers to liquid, he really unplugged my pipes for me today!  Silas, Cameron, and Bruce, thanks for coming by Adria Imports.  I just got charged $800 plus tax for a repaired door hinge, taking the motor out and stripping the interior.  (Also he charged me for an out of province inspection.) Nice.  So what I think happened is just that he decided he didn't want the work unless he could really juice me.  You guys were dead right.  So it's just as well I got it out of there.  Like Chris Christoferson says, a beer for breakfast, and another one for dessert. Thats about how low I feel at the mo.  I don't know. Cameron seems to feel it is a lost cause. But liquid didn't think it was all that bad?  (*&)(&*^* and more some.  I mean, the floor panels need to be replaced, and all the \"quarter-panels\" -is that the parts that are near the tires at the bottom?  At the bottom anyway they are all rusted.  The door hinge is totally repaired now, The area around where the battery sits near the motor is rusted away.  I looked under the car, and the \"beam\"? the center bit that runs the length of the auto and comes into a \"Y\" shape at the back seemed solid to me.  There is some bad rust in the hood, and around where the hood fits.  I will put pics up as soon as I can.  Cameron seemed to think I could \"part it out\"?  but I don't know what parts would be worth.  I am into my dream car for $4000 Canadian now.  That's a lot of used VW parts.  Cameron also said there is no way any car gets through the provincial safety exam if there is even one little rust hole in it, so...  what to do... does that count ones that are full of putty? Ha! Ha! At least I have a good motor.  Anyway, this is a remarkable group of VW fans, I am definately one of you, even if I have the misfortune of driving a Suzuki Sidekick every day.  

Thanks again for all your support, I own a ghia (at least part of one), and my motor is stored. I own a piece of history, how could life be better? xcasper

Offline steveo_32

• Waz up
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2005, 12:41:36 AM »
I gotta hood!
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert

Offline rustybus

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2005, 02:32:45 AM »
I gotta hood!
You are a hood :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :mellow:  :D  

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2005, 07:40:31 AM »
Dood, if you decide to haul it up here, after repairs, I can get it through the safety :ph34r: . Just trust me ok  
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline Cameron

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2005, 08:28:44 AM »
Ok, you guys all rock and roll.  Cheers to liquid, he really unplugged my pipes for me today!  Silas, Cameron, and Bruce, thanks for coming by Adria Imports.  I just got charged $800 plus tax for a repaired door hinge, taking the motor out and stripping the interior.  (Also he charged me for an out of province inspection.) Nice.  So what I think happened is just that he decided he didn't want the work unless he could really juice me.  You guys were dead right.  So it's just as well I got it out of there.  Like Chris Christoferson says, a beer for breakfast, and another one for dessert. Thats about how low I feel at the mo.  I don't know. Cameron seems to feel it is a lost cause. But liquid didn't think it was all that bad?  (*&)(&*^* and more some.  I mean, the floor panels need to be replaced, and all the "quarter-panels" -is that the parts that are near the tires at the bottom?  At the bottom anyway they are all rusted.  The door hinge is totally repaired now, The area around where the battery sits near the motor is rusted away.  I looked under the car, and the "beam"? the center bit that runs the length of the auto and comes into a "Y" shape at the back seemed solid to me.  There is some bad rust in the hood, and around where the hood fits.  I will put pics up as soon as I can.  Cameron seemed to think I could "part it out"?  but I don't know what parts would be worth.  I am into my dream car for $4000 Canadian now.  That's a lot of used VW parts.  Cameron also said there is no way any car gets through the provincial safety exam if there is even one little rust hole in it, so...  what to do... does that count ones that are full of putty? Ha! Ha! At least I have a good motor.  Anyway, this is a remarkable group of VW fans, I am definately one of you, even if I have the misfortune of driving a Suzuki Sidekick every day.  

Thanks again for all your support, I own a ghia (at least part of one), and my motor is stored. I own a piece of history, how could life be better? xcasper
I think xcasper has Bruce and myself mixed up. I did indeed say some of these things, but can't take credit for all of it. Bruce was talking to xcasper for a while and said alot of this also.

This car was in rough shape. Lots of rust (perferations) along the bottom, front to rear. And in the channel for the rubber seals, for front and rear hoods. The cost of fixing the rust would be more than buying a car in better condition. In my opinion, and I think in Bruce's and Silas also, this car should be parted out. Lots of usable parts, many for 74 only ghia.

Bruce! Silas! Any comments?

One regret, I happened to have my digital camera with me, but forgot to take pictures. Aww crap!

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline Hoosier Daddy

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2005, 08:40:50 AM »
It great that all you guys got together for a complete stranger to try and help him out.

Three cheers for everyone involved! :rockon:  

Offline Bruce

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2005, 02:21:52 PM »
I'd like to see a copy of the eBay auction on this car to see how badly it was misrepresented.  Also to know who would sell that car as a fixer upper instead of a parts car.  If it was listed as a restorable car, IMO it was fraud.  This car is that bad.

I needed less than 10 seconds to know this car is not restorable by any human on the planet.  It needs every patch panel in existance for a Karmann Ghia, plus many others that don't exist.  Both lids have rust right through them, and so do the doors.  Of course both pan halves are gone.

On the bright side, it came with it's original 1600DP engine, the original AN coded Karmann Ghia spec SSC transmission, and a disc brake front end.  Cameron said the beam was in good shape.

The only way to salvage this situation is to part it out.  There are many KG only parts that you can't buy as repro, so good used are the only alternative.

Offline HeliMike

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2005, 03:50:39 PM »

The only way to salvage this situation is to part it out.
I say we lynch the bastard that sold it to him.  [_[  Just kidding.

So X, are you going to pursue going after him legally?
If you are I know a REALLY REALLY good lawyer. B)

If not we could take all of the valuable parts off the car, cut it into large chunks of scrap and go drop it off on his front yard in the middle of the night.
 :wacko:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 04:36:17 PM by Gutterslug »
67 Sunroof Beetle

Offline steveo_32

• Waz up
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2005, 05:30:54 PM »
Okay \"PLAN B\" I need the ashtray and Front windshield! And Front vent's if they are in good shape!

1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2005, 07:23:43 PM »
Dood, if you decide to haul it up here, after repairs, I can get it through the safety :ph34r: . Just trust me ok
thats the thing. to even get it to the point of passing an inspection it is going to take ALOT of work. too much.

In my opinion, and I think in Bruce's and Silas also, this car should be parted out. Lots of usable parts, many for 74 only ghia.

Bruce! Silas! Any comments?

absolutely. try and get as much of the $4000 back by parting it and selling it. recoup a majority of your loss, and look for a car that is in better shape. now that steve (xcasper) knows of the airspeed forum, it shouldnt be too hard to find a nice, dry, straight early 70's karmann ghia. spend $4 - $6 grand on that rather than $16g's + on this one.

On the bright side, it came with it's original 1600DP engine, the original AN coded Karmann Ghia spec SSC transmission, and a disc brake front end. Cameron said the beam was in good shape.

and shock mounted front bumper, og hella front turn signals, 90% of the trim and badges are mint, all glass, rear popouts, tires and wheels, horn, new repro gas tank, charcoal cannister, windsheild washer reservoir, seats, mats, pedal cluster, steering wheel, gear shifter, dash knobs, speedo, etc....

the funniest part was when bruce was checking the #'s on the engine and the mechanic comes up to him and says \"yah, thats a newer motor cause it's got an alternator.\" and bruce, without even raising the arm for the pimp slap, says \"no, it's a numbers matching , original to the car motor.\" the mechanic just had this bewildered look on his face and shuffled away.

it would be interesting to see the ebay add tho.

steveo_32 Okay \"PLAN B\" I need the ashtray and Front windshield! And Front vent's if they are in good shape!

there you go steve (xcasper). you're allready on your way to making your money back.

Offline Scratchy

• http://scratchy.kicks-ass.net
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2005, 09:49:40 PM »
This car was in rough shape. Lots of rust (perferations) along the bottom, front to rear. And in the channel for the rubber seals, for front and rear hoods. The cost of fixing the rust would be more than buying a car in better condition. In my opinion, and I think in Bruce's and Silas also, this car should be parted out. Lots of usable parts, many for 74 only ghia.

So what are you saying Cameron.... I should part out my '58 Ghia vert too?

]]]My Rusty Ghia[[[

I'm into it for $6000 of rust repair, and that's in 1982 dollars!
Maybe I can sell the pieces and break even  :blink:

BTW Steve, I'm in Maple Ridge too, so if you want to see what a naked rusty partially repaired Ghia vert body looks like, piled full of junk with 2 boat hulls sitting on top, just PM me  :ph34r:

I'm thinking I should try and finish it for it's 50 year anniversary! (or part it out - NOT)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 09:53:22 PM by Scratchy »

-= Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room! =-

Russ

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2005, 10:01:09 PM »
i would have a hard time parting it out myself,it's a hard pill to swallow
i'm into a car for 4g's and i would get bugger all by parting it out by the sounds of it.mabey find a decent ghia for an affordable price he can swao the engine trans and beam???
tough call i feel for him
best od luck

russ

Offline Bruce

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2005, 01:28:57 AM »
\"the mechanic just had this bewildered look on his face and shuffled away\"
HeHe, I never saw that.

Steveo, the car has a good ashtray and vents.  There are no cracks or bullseyes in the windshield.  Steve (xcasper) would probably like to hear from you requesting these parts.  I don't think he believed me when I told him that most KG only parts are not available repro and that people will buy a lot of the parts on that car.

Offline Needles

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2005, 06:15:18 AM »
It great that all you guys got together for a complete stranger to try and help him out.

Three cheers for everyone involved! :rockon:
Here, here....

I wish I was a 'stranger'.... :mellow:

rather than 'strange'

Seriously way to go people, keep that KARMA rolling!!

;)  :wub:  :wub:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 06:16:12 AM by Niedrig und Langsam »

Offline rustybus

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2005, 09:38:39 AM »
Has any body from the autobody trade looked at the ghai yet. I can't get out there until the 29th. Me personaly I'm a save the car kind of person. They are getting too
 rare to cut up any thing can be fix if you want it to be, with out paying an arm and a leg. You have to do alot on your own to keep your cost down. I'm not talking pop rivits and aluminum tape. After I left the auto painting biz and went to aircraft I lost access to a welder. Then a friend needed some work done on his 411 .We spent 3 days cutting pieces and fabricating panels Then we rented a welder for the day I think it was around 45 bucks including argon. That is just one way to keep cost down .  I have seen people hack up bugs  because of a bad heater channel to me that is awaste of a car. Rust don't scare me , the people who have seen my bus can back me up on that.
Chris

Offline Bruce

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2005, 12:23:23 PM »
Has any body from the autobody trade looked at the ghai yet.
If the car had half the rust, it still would not be fixable.  IMO the $16,000 estimate Steve was given was lowballing it.
Three coroners have pronounced this car dead.  The last thing Steve needs is another doctor trying to reconnect the life supports.

Offline rustybus

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2005, 01:15:36 AM »
I didn't say I wanted to try to bring it back for the dead but some people's idea of a rotten car is pretty laim. I just wanted to make sure that there was some who saw it that knew what they were talking about . For most people it's easier to say that is to much and just walk away  saying we did all we could do.

Chris

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2005, 07:45:58 AM »
I have to agree with Rustybus. I have pm'd casper for some pics of the ghia. I am sure this car is past ever being a trailer queen, but perhaps we can make a nice cruiser out of what is left. It may not be the perfect ghia but with some tin, hammers, and filler, perhaps something can be done.
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline xcasper

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2005, 08:26:03 AM »
Hi all. Well, I have requests for parts already, and of course my wife is for cutting my losses and it looks like I will be driving her Tracker until it's oversized wheels fall off = which I hope is soon. At the moment. Like I told steveo32,  I am waiting until I get some information from RustyBus on the 29, and I will be emailing pics as soon as I get a chance to go take some. I have had a busy week, and there has been lots of family discussions.  I will probably part out the car, as my wife and mother in law have now weighed into the discussion, again and again.  (my family is German) on the side of the car not being big enough for me to sit in, good enough for me to drive, throwing good money after bad, for that money we could have put a down payment on a Golf,  it doesn't suit our lifestyle, it only has seating for two, what if we have another baby etc etc. Looks like my midlife crisis has just about run it's course.  My father and I met gutterslug at ed the bug shop mechanics place and Mike also sided with the cut and run club, advising us to look for a car that someone had already done the work on. What a cool type 3 he has man.  I love the air louvers in the back side.  A piece of history.  So I guess I am pinning my what little hope I have left on RustyBus and Slammed bus!  Hey, thanks for all the good wishes and support/help. Part of me would still love to have my beloved ghia, but I am swimming upstream I think.  Cheers to all. Steve  xcasper.

Offline Tyrel

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2005, 10:30:03 AM »
i know where there is a really really nice ghia is for 2k without engine of 4k with 140hp engine. i'll see if i can get some pics up, its owned by a 60 year old german vw engineer.

Offline rustybus

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2005, 10:35:19 AM »
A few things you must remember happy wife= happy life. But it is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

With that said if it is to far gone cut it up, but don't do it cause someone else wants you to .

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2005, 04:24:23 PM »
If it comes down to it, I have a completety stripped 1970 Coupe body on a rolling chassis that you may be interested in.
It was a rusty car, but it comes with all the repair panels if you can do the welding. Suspension is all there, along with the transaxle, and a clear BC title. It will need complete wiring, interior, galss, some exterior trim, and of course paint. I've stripped off all the exterior paint and bondo and just shot a coat of primer for storage.
I'm willing to work out payments, trade, labour exchange, etc...
Car is in Langley, and I can get pics if you want.
Jason Hamilton