Author Topic: Ghia Help Plse  (Read 5961 times)

Offline xcasper

Ghia Help Plse
« on: May 07, 2005, 03:56:36 PM »
Hi. Bought a '74 ghia near Seattle. Got it home, and spent money finding out it needs 16,000 dollars worth of body work. Apparently the motor is A-1. Small mercies.    Best to drive it off a cliff? Advice?  Thanks, xcasper.  

Offline rustybus

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 04:23:29 PM »
:angry: I hate hearing that kinda shit . I'm a save the car kinda person. How much did you get burned ]:(  

Russ

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 04:41:05 PM »
where abouts do you live mabey pm slammed bus on this forum see if he can help you out

russ

Offline xcasper

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 04:44:43 PM »
Hi Rusty Bus. Yes, I now have had the privilidge of paying $2000 US plus border expense. Including what I have put into it so far, PST parts, etc,  about $3000 Canadian.  A nice guy at BowWow told me my used motor which is apparently in good shape is worth $200 to $600.  So now I am wondering what to do you know.  It is at a garage (that I owe money to) in Vancouver.  Sigh. A lot of money for 3 gallons of bondo.  It they had a sucker smilie I would use it.  If I had a place to park it for a  long time, maybe I would do that, I don't know. Oh well, wish me luck. xcasper.  

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 05:03:18 PM »
Try to find a place to store it! If it has regi and all the parts are there all you need is a body.  A 74 ghia body is not too much $$ All you have to do is wait for the right one to pop up! A little wrenchin and a little beer to me and Rusty bus (He likes coffee)and your done!!
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline rustybus

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 05:32:16 PM »
Try to find a place to store it! If it has regi and all the parts are there all you need is a body.  A 74 ghia body is not too much $$ All you have to do is wait for the right one to pop up! A little wrenchin and a little beer to me and Rusty bus (He likes coffee)and your done!!
xcasper
Go with what steve-o said who was the ass who sold you this p.o.s. Where are you local . I would like to see it and give you my opinion . After 14 years in body shops  I can can give my honest price of what it should cost . Due to a lack of room I can't do it . I can tell if that shop was full of shit. I live in abby which  most likely won't help but  we can figure something out.
Chris

Offline xcasper

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 10:09:22 PM »
Hey thanks guys.  Ok, here goes. I bought it from a guy in Poulsbo Wa.  Name of Richard Yerk.  Yes I have the documentation to register it. It has been exported from the states and imported into Canada.  First though, it has to pass the out of province inspection. (So I can register it here and buy it insurance.) I wanted it as a daily driver, something I could be proud of. Kind of a closet VW nut you see.  I bought it from ebay, and went down with my dad and drove it back. It looked ok to me, except for the door hinge was rusted off on the passenger side, and part of the panel that is under the battery in the back was gone.  The car stopped running when it was out on my sisters farm in mission, and so I had it towed to a shop in Vancouver that looked at it and gave me an extimate for the body and mech work of $5500. I agreed, but then last week, they called and said to come back. They had pulled the engine out and fixed the door hinge. Now, they say that the body work will be $16,000, which I can't afford.  The mechanic wants $1000 to put it back together and so that I can drive it.  I don't know yet what he wants if I pick it up in pieces, although he has promised to email me.  Oh, my dad says I can store it at his house. I asked him tonight.  (We are in Maple Ridge)  Oh, and I wanted to ask, can anyone tell me how much my 1600 cc motor weighs?  Can two men pick it up and put it in the back of my dads van?  Or would I need three or four?  Men I mean.  Thanks so much, I really appreciate any advice at all.  -xcasper-

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 10:26:07 PM »
a fully dressed 1600 would take 2 guys.  I'm not a big guy and I've moved one around myself.  It's an awkward thing mostly.  I'd say pick it up and bring it to someowe you knows and loves VW's.  There are alot of them on this forum.
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline xcasper

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 11:08:03 PM »
Thank you mowser.  And thanks to Rusty Bus and to the other posters too! -X-

Offline Bruce

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 02:52:14 AM »
They had pulled the engine out and fixed the door hinge. Now, they say that the body work will be $16,000, which I can't afford.  The mechanic wants $1000 to put it back together and so that I can drive it.
He wants $1000 to put the engine back in? It takes an hour max.  That's a pretty hefty hourly rate.  On the bright side, it means there's only 16 hrs of body work to put the whole car right.

I'd ask him to justify the $1000 to install an engine.  If the shop rate was $75 an hour, that would be 13 hrs.  What else is he going to do in the other 12 hrs?  

Oh ya, what is the name of this shop so we can all avoid them?

Offline LIQUID

• http://
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2005, 04:39:45 AM »
i can help you out with towing it out of the shop at a good price. let me know.

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 10:53:01 AM »
sorry to hear about your run of bad luck.

imho, i would thank that shop for the work they've done so far, pay them what you owe them, and get your car out of there asap. it sounds kind of shifty, and it would suck to get burned again.

like bruce has said, $1000 bucks to install an engine seems pretty extreme. if the nice guy at bow-wow said your engine is in good shape, what kind of work is this new shop going to do to it to warrant a $1000 bill?

get it on a trailer and get it out of there. tow it to a place where you can store it and try to work out a beer/cash payment with someone here to come take a look at it to assess the damage.

btw, i'm in vancouver and would be interested in checking it out before/as it leaves the shop. i'd give you my honest $.02 about the ghia and what it needs.

where is this shop at?

Offline Bruce

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2005, 12:57:51 PM »
I'll go with you, Silas.

Offline xcasper

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2005, 01:48:31 PM »
Hello all. Thank you so much for your contributions. I work in a group home, so I don't know what I am doing fooling around with an old vw, I just love them.  The shop the Ghia is at is Adria Imports, 794 East Broadway.  872-8512... It is in their back room.  It is a young guy named mark, and his dad, tony.  They seemed good, but they told us at first they would bring someone in to do the body, then it seems that his dad has been doing the work. The $1000 was for 3 hours the dad spent fixing the door hinge, stripping the cars interior, taking off the wheels and taking out the motor. From my phone conversation with Mark yesterday, the $1000 would include putting the car back together so it could be driven home. (Although I am not certain of that, he said he would email me, although I haven't heard)  Adria also got the motor running, it wasn't getting gas they said.  It is Adria that says the motor is good, I just talked to Bill at BowWow, and cried on his shoulder. He is the one that told me about you guys.  From what my Dad says, (Rudy) the old mechanic, (anton) said that no one would touch the job for less than $16,000 and it might cost more than that too. Our concern is why their estimate changed so much, and why after they took it all apart?  They said that it was hidden damage.  Adria seems to want the car gone asap, unless I agree to their terms.  They have my registration papers and a $2000 advance that I gave them for the work on my Credit Card.   Unfortunately, I am working tommorrow and tuesday in Whonnock near MapleRidge until 3, but maybe I could get there before they close if I left right after work. I know my dad, (Rudy) would want to go too. I don't know how it works, at garages, if they will let you guys in to look if we aren't there?  My wife is pretty upset about the whole thing, and I had given up on my ghia myself. I was just calling BowWow to find out what I could do with the good engine to try to minimize the loss.  (es)  Oh, and I did find out from someplace called the bug shop in surrey that they have a ghia chassis for sale without a drive train.  Yes, I think too that I should get it back to my dad's house in Maple Ridge, and decide what to do from there. I don't know if it is the cheapest way to go, or to pay them to put it back together.  The last time I hired Maple Ridge Towing, it was $175 to tow it into East Van from M.Ridge. Hey, thanks again, you guys are the bomb. I thought I was the only one with old VW pics on my office wall. - X-Steve-  

Offline silas

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 07:09:50 PM »
here's my take on the situation.

you are entitled to a second opinion. politely explain to adria imports that you appreciate the time and effort that they've spent on your car, but that you were  unaware of the magnitude of the repairs that are needed. you need some time to think about your options and investigate solutions to your problems.

as per their agreement (hopefully), get them to put the car back together (interior in, engine in and running, wheels on, car driving, etc) pay them their $1000 and get your car out of there.

if they are an honest and reputable shop they will understand your predicament. you payed them in full for the work that they did and you were honest and courteous of their business. if they're choked that they dont get to charge you 16g's for a full resto, they're dicks. i know that sounds harsh, but 16g's is alot of money and everyone is entitled to ponder their decision before dropping a wad like that. and just because you're getting the car out of there doesnt mean you wont ever bring it back. you are just honouring their wishes by removing the car.

now, dont go and buy a ghia chassis, you may not need it. you may just need new pans. heck, you may just need one pan half or even just the battery tray. maybe the pans are fine but the beam is gone. it is true that you can find alot of nasty surprises once you start to dissasemble a car. but, you wont know how bad it really is until you get your second, or third opinion on the shape of the car.

with that said, i know exactly where adria imports is. i'm in school daily untill 3-ish and can be there by 4. if you would like to meet there, i'm in. bruce, you up for it? tomorrow (tuesday) or wednesday or anyday this week for that matter.

i do agree that it wouldnt be too kosher if i went there to check out the car without the owner (you) present. but i could make it happen in the most polite of ways. you make the call.

but again, imho, pay them what you owe them and politely say that you need some time to think about it. and get your car home safely to your dads.

Offline xcasper

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 07:31:35 PM »
Hi, thanks for the post! I have made arrangements for \"liquid\" to pick up the car at 5 pm on Wednesday.  I am waiting for him to give me a call.  He has a tow truck. I am going to get there early (er) and finalize with the shop what I owe them. My dad and I are going to take the motor home in our van, and hopefully, with some more advice and research, we will be able to decide what to do.  (Before my wife divorces me!)   It would be great if you could look the ghia over too.  Thanks for the offer!  steve-xcasper  

Offline silas

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2005, 07:46:57 PM »
i'll meet you there on wednesday. what time where you thinking of showing up and what time do you want me there at?

bruce, are you in?

Offline xcasper

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2005, 10:51:00 PM »
Hi Silas. My plan was to get there by three-thirty, and sort out the bill. I was also going to load the motor up, and then wait until liquid can get there shortly after  5 pm.  Then I was going to follow him to my dad's house. So whatever time is ok for you I guess  4-ish would be great! Thanx-steve.

Offline silas

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2005, 11:26:02 PM »
i will be there between 4 - 430 on wednesday.

i'll be the guy in the dark blue hoodie with the vintage canucks patch on the front.

Offline Bruce

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 01:52:37 AM »
I can make it.

Offline Needles

• http://
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005, 08:01:52 AM »
Bruce, Crusty Bus, Silas & Liquid....

You guys rock :rockon:  :rockon:  :wub:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 08:04:10 AM by Niedrig und Langsam »

Offline Cameron

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2005, 08:20:48 AM »

i'll be the guy in the dark blue hoodie with the vintage canucks patch on the front.
Hi Guys!  Can I come too?
Adria is on my way home. I can make it there a bit past 4pm.

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline silas

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2005, 05:05:03 PM »

Hi Guys!  Can I come too?
Adria is on my way home. I can make it there a bit past 4pm.
ultimately, the decision is xcaspers.

personally, i dont see a problem. the more the merrier and it would be cool to see you.

Offline xcasper

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2005, 05:18:27 PM »
Like Silas say, the more the merrier!  Hope someone is coming in their vw. -x-

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2005, 07:19:46 PM »
What color is this car??

Is it red

1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline xcasper

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2005, 09:51:56 PM »
It is olympic blue, supposedly, but it looks like robin's egg blue. I want to paint it burnt orange eventually. -x-

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2005, 10:03:05 PM »
you have pmail
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline rustybus

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2005, 12:56:10 AM »
What color is this car??

Is it red
Steve-o thats what I was thinking to . I remember that red one that showed up at your place awhile back when I was there.

xcasper , do to a lack of free time I can't make it on wendsday. But I will be in maple ridge on the 29th to see a man about a horse will you be around
Chris

Offline rustybus

Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2005, 09:37:06 AM »
I was digging though my stuff and found some ghia doors. there not mint but if you want them there yours free :mellow:  

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
Ghia Help Plse
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2005, 10:33:40 AM »
xcasper, what's happening to you is, unfortunately, the absolute worst case scenario. You were lied to by the seller, and it sounds like you're getting it again from the shop. It sounds like they simply don't want your business, but don't want to say so, so they've priced the work beyonf all reality. Of course you now know that some pre-purchase research would have saved you this anguish, but rest assured, your situation is not hopeless and you will be driving and enjoying that Ghia.
We've all been there, to one degree or another, and we're all here to help.
Jason Hamilton