Author Topic: Installing Adjustables  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Dave R

• http://
Installing Adjustables
« on: May 29, 2005, 10:33:09 PM »
I spent today dismantling the steering and suspension on my 72' super. We were trying to install adjustable struts, which are all assembled, ready to throw in. I had everything done properly, and the strut hanging there, and I was unable to get the strut out of the steering knuckle as it's rusted in there so badly.

I ended up removing the entire strut assembly and steering knuckle, with drum attached, from the car, and gave it my all to get it out. I've been told that it's hard to remove, but I never imagined it being this tough.

Is it in there for good? We had it in a vice, reefed on it with a hammer, heated it in an attempt to expand it, pounded some more, and still no give. The only other options thing I think I can do is put it in a press, and push the thing out (which wasn't available at the place we were at today). Or else, buy a new parts, then tear down and re-build my breaks on the new struts.

Has anyone else had this hard of a time getting the things out? Is there anything else I can do? I don't want to rip things apart again unless it's going to work for sure. I'm already needing an alignment  :angry:  

Offline Ovalzealous

Installing Adjustables
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 01:06:47 AM »
I had the same problem when I put adjustables in a friends car. The only thing that worked was lots of heat on the part of the knuckle surrounding the bottom of the strut. And I do mean oxy-acetylene kind of heat. Although not enough to change it's colour! But heating the knuckle and hitting the bottom of the strut with a 4 pound hammer did work. If you have the option I would go with the hydraulic press. If that is not an option and you can't get access to a big torch I would support the strut upside down, clean out as much of the joint as possible and soak the joint with water. Then hit it with a big hammer.

It's not going to go easily but it will come apart.

Hope that helps.

Offline Dave R

Installing Adjustables
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 04:07:47 PM »
We put tons of heat on the knuckle surrounding the strut, and we used an acetylene torch as well. How long did it take you to heat and hammer it out of the knuckle? We spent a while, but maybe not long enough. Would a press work any better? that might be the next option, I have a buddy who has one...

Billyisgr8

Installing Adjustables
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 05:52:27 PM »
Yup had the same problem,  completly stuck, heat didn't help,  My press wasn't tall enough, so I took it to Duanes in Langley , He got it out.

Kevin
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 05:52:49 PM by Billyisgr8 »

Offline KOOL-AID MAN

Installing Adjustables
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 07:00:47 PM »
I remember doing mine, i remember one side probably took about an hour and a hlaf of me and my friend taking turns beating the crap out of the old strut, the other side went easily tho, i think cause it was replaced. I dunno what to say but this

just giver! :mullet:  

Offline James Buchan

Installing Adjustables
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 07:33:13 PM »
Same as Kevin - I took mine to Duane when I had a Super

Offline Dave R

Installing Adjustables
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 07:50:03 PM »
You happen to remember if it took Duane pretty long? big $$$? or did he get it done pretty quickly and easily?  

Offline James Buchan

Installing Adjustables
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 10:41:10 PM »
10 minutes give or take - best bet call him and see what his workload is like.

Price???? Depends I guess, I've know Duane since Highschool.

Offline Dave R

Installing Adjustables
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 10:32:14 PM »
Well, here's an update for you...
Finished everything up, the car's lowered, everythings done, right?

wrong... I drove around fine at first, theres a good gap in between the tire and the fender, its not ridiculously low. Now, it seems as if the passenger's side strut isn't \"popping\" back up into place, especially if I have added weight and a passenger. When I drive with a passenger, the right side seems to be weighted down too much and before long the tires rub like crazy.

When parked, I can actually squeeze two fingers in the gap above the wheel, then push down hard on the fender, put my finger back in, and I can only fit one. I can then pull the fender back up and put two fingers back in  :blink:

Is it the shock on the inside that's not expanding? is it shot? I mean, the strut assembly has been sitting for a little while, could it just take a bit of driving to free things up and break back in?

I cand rive alone fine, and have an alignment booked at dale's tommorow, not sure what's going to happen....

:wacko:  

Offline Dave R

Installing Adjustables
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 03:11:44 PM »
It might have broken in, it's not doing it as badly anymore, but nonetheless, it's still there.

Went to get an alignment, baljoints are shot and they won't even look at it until they're replaced.  :angry:  

Offline kirin

Installing Adjustables
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 05:45:03 AM »
Sounds like the strut might be blown.
Usually if they don't settle down after bouncing the car up and down(Limit 3-4 times) its worn out. If its not rebounding at all its either binding or done..
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?