Author Topic: Alternator Install  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
Alternator Install
« on: March 15, 2007, 09:52:24 PM »
So the install of the Alternator I picked up from Airspeed as well as all the other parts has gone well until today.  I went to put the carb (34 pict solex) back in and the linkage hits on the alternator.  What am I missing?  As I see it the alt. is installed correctly with the doghouse shroud up against the fan side of the alt.  The fan is in the correct position, stock fuel pump was a bit of a concern as it was up against the alt as well.  That has been rectified now but I can't see how I can make a stock carb work with the alternator.  Am I on glue or is it as simple as I can't use this carb with the alternator?  This would suck bad as I have no inklings to put my baby dells on the 1600 DP.  

Yes I'll take pictures but it's dark and I'm sick of looking at engine pictures on \"the Samba\"
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Alternator Install
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 10:01:48 PM »
I've seen a few with a bit ground out of the alternator case. [_[  
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
Alternator Install
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 10:14:46 PM »
hmmmmm :blink:  
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline amishrabbi

• http://
Alternator Install
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 10:16:05 PM »
dual carbs will fix it  :D  
1963 Beetle, 2017cc Stroker

Offline Chris W

• Portland Oregon
Alternator Install
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 10:31:55 PM »

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
Alternator Install
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 10:42:31 PM »
Common problem. Just clearance the alternator housing with a Dremel tool. You'll only need a few mm of space.
Jason Hamilton

Offline Mowser

Alternator Install
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 11:28:30 PM »
thanks Jason and all.  I figured I should ask before I did just that.
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Alternator Install
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 12:26:53 AM »
ditto to what jason & busdaddy said.

i just ran into this problem about a week ago with my 64 with 1600dp, alternator, and 34pict3 carb.

the accelerator pump linkage was hitting the alt. the previous owner had ground down the alt a bit but not enough, so i put the carb in place, marked where the clearance issue was, and carefully ground down the alt with my die grinder.

like jason said, it doesnt take much, but it works like a charm.

good luck.

Offline 68IIIbuggy

Alternator Install
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 08:37:56 PM »
You can also flip the acc. pump adjusting plate around the other way, which is what the factory did when they went to alt.s in 73.

Offline Mowser

Alternator Install
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 09:36:44 PM »
You can also flip the acc. pump adjusting plate around the other way, which is what the factory did when they went to alt.s in 73.
I'm trying to picture how this would work......  I'll take a look in the morning.  Thanks

'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline Mowser

Alternator Install
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 02:02:48 PM »
Okay, now that was a simple fix.  Everything clears now and the throttle response seems to be the same.  I'm not totally sold that the geometry is still the same but will find out when I fire it up.  Didn't even have to fire up the dremel.  
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline 68IIIbuggy

Alternator Install
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 03:26:17 PM »
Okay, now that was a simple fix.  Everything clears now and the throttle response seems to be the same.  I'm not totally sold that the geometry is still the same but will find out when I fire it up.  Didn't even have to fire up the dremel.
Don't know for sure, but you may have to bend the actuating rod a little.