Author Topic: Smoking From The Breather  (Read 1523 times)

Offline VWNotcher

Smoking From The Breather
« on: October 11, 2006, 07:45:04 PM »
I picked up a beetle with a 1600cc and came across an issue that I have never experienced before.  The warmer the engine gets, the more oil smoke puffs out of the crank case breather (or oil fill cap when I took it off)   I have new set of jugs and pistons that I was going to throw in, but don't want to waste my time just incase of there being another possibility as to why this is happening.  The motor runs, idles, starts, excellerates beautifully.  It doesn't even drip oil.  Any other thoughts, or should I just rip it apart.  Thanks. Ted.

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 09:09:16 PM »
There's not many things that can make symptoms like that other than worn rings.

Do a compression test and look at the spark plugs to see if they are shiny and black.
If you don't have to do aircare and it's making good power and the oil pressure is good then the cure is don't take off the oil cap when it's running.
If aircare is required you are most likely going to fail for high HC's so throw on the new jugs, just beware that unless the blowby is from a major overheat it's probably just as worn in the bottom end too. That afternoon job could turn into a full rebuild.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline VWNotcher

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 12:11:50 PM »
thanks I will do as you suggest.  As far as aircare,... it still has 9 months on the pass so it is good for now.  With the oil cap on, the oil cloud puffs out the little tube that holes down adjacent to the generator stand, but absolutely no oil comes out of the exhaust pipes.  Well  I don't have a compression tester at the moment, but I can start with checking the plugs anyways.  Thank.s again.

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 09:25:40 AM »
I was just thinking if the car has been sitting for a while it might have stuck rings. Since you have 9 months to experiment with it try using some high detergent motor oil in it like the stuff for diesel engines. You can also try some marvel mystery oil in the gas for a while and see if things loosen up and start sealing.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline dirtydeedss

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 11:42:58 AM »
my motor was doing that and i tryed a compression tester and the compression was ok.
then i tryed the leakdown tester and thats what told me the ringers were bad

Offline epic3

• http://
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 10:19:13 PM »
A little atf also helps clean out the gunk in the engine
I`ve used about half a litter every time right before an oil change in almost everything I`ve owned

Offline 68IIIbuggy

• http://
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 07:34:02 PM »
If you have a broken ring then the blowby will really puff out when the motor is revved. It sounds to me like yours is not that bad.

Offline VWNotcher

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 08:24:54 PM »
it puffs quite badly when revved.  It will be going into my garage in the next couple day.  I borrow a compression tester so I'll maybe learn something soon.