Author Topic: Tranny Securing  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Bullyboy

• http://
Tranny Securing
« on: January 13, 2006, 03:04:16 PM »
Hi guys
Our IRS panned 61' beetle project will be running around 125hp, and we are looking at the best way to keep the tranny and motor secured.
  We have seen the berg mid mount/ traction bar set-up that berg recommends on there web site, and there are any number of kafer braces out there. :wacko:  
It will be a driver with the occasional scoot down the strip, so any suggestions would be welcome.

thanks Mark

Offline Chris

• Car.
Tranny Securing
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 03:12:11 PM »
the more solid the mount the more noise and vibrations that will be transferred to the passenger compartment, you could just go with urethane mounts front and rear.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 10:40:32 AM by 1976BUS »

Offline Bullyboy

Tranny Securing
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 10:33:25 AM »
Nobody else?
Does Airspeed carry any different mounts?
I didn't see any in the online catalog

Offline Chris

• Car.
Tranny Securing
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 10:41:30 AM »
yep, they sell them all, OG replacement, urethane, solid, mid and raised mounts

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Tranny Securing
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 11:19:40 AM »
We have drag bars, mid mounts, trans raise kits, tranny strap kits. Just let us know what your leaning towards.
One of our Drag bars with some good mounts will be all you need but we can also supply you with a mid mount if you like.

Offline James Buchan

Tranny Securing
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 01:00:01 PM »
I found the Airspeed bar to be a very easy install and it has performed flawlessly - I originally was hard mounted on the housing and a Urethane forward mount but have since hard mounted the entire tranny as I found the nose cone mount was starting to tear - this was with 107hp at the wheels so not exactly a huge amount of power...

Offline Bullyboy

Tranny Securing
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 04:37:40 PM »
With the drag bar and HD rubber mounts would you have to run a traction bar as well? or does the drag bar give enough support?

Offline Chris

• Car.
Tranny Securing
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 06:32:38 PM »
One or the other should be fine, use the airspeed drag bar, its way cooler!, but I would upgrade your rubber mounts to urethane or solid mounts
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 06:33:09 PM by 1976BUS »

Offline Bruce

Tranny Securing
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 01:29:59 AM »
Solid mounting is easy.  Use the 3 replacement solid mounts and a rear engine support or an Airspeed drag bar and you are done.

Rubber mounting is a serious challenge.  Where's Lanny on this topic.  His car has always been rubber mounted.
Use the 3 stock rubber mounts, plus a Berg style intermediate rubber mount.  Then an Airspeed drag bar, and a rear engine hanger, with a rubber block between it and the case.

Urethane trans mounts transmit a lot of noise.  I'd say closer to solid mounting than rubber mounting.

Many forget the suspension grommets.  To prevent wheel hop, install urethane grommets on your torsion bars at the spring plates.  Using urethane here does not increase noise at all.

Offline Hansk

Tranny Securing
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 11:04:31 PM »
Not sure if someone covered this but, adding the airspeed tranny brace/drag bar tying in the transmission frame horns alone , you still risk breaking your nose cone unless you also add at least one of either a mid mount , a traction bar(under the motor) and/or a tranny strap kit.  Sorry if this was already covered or obvious(or doesn't make any sense).
Big fat black fastback

Offline Cameron

Tranny Securing
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 12:33:09 PM »
I have had nothing but grief from the after market solid front mounts. IMO the best way to go, is keep the stock front mount, and pay the extra dollars for a proper mid mount, like the ones Gene Berg sells. I'm sure the Air Speed guys must have something like that.

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline AlanU

• http://members.shaw.ca/acvw/index.htm
Tranny Securing
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 11:05:50 AM »
I've been using a empi solid mount in the rear and a solid mid mount purchased from Airspeed. The Mid mount is a weld in and Airspeed drilled holes in the particular one I purchased to reduce weight. As for the nose cone I'm using the ORIGINAL german 1965 nose mount!!

Basically I use the old original mount to \"pilot/mock up\" so I had the mid mount tack welded and then welded in. I use a traction bar to secure the framehorns on the engine side. Mind you this suites my requirements.

If you want a quiter setup an airspeed triangular drag bar setup is gonna support your rear end of the frame horns. A rubber style mid mount is gonna relieve stress if you drop the clutch often and prevent nose cone breakage on the tranny. By saying this I'd recommend a good quality front rubber nose mount. This'll be quiet and support your needs IMO.

When I had a heavy 73 superbeetle with a 2110 I got away with a rear traction bar and a urethane custom nose cone mount. Did 14.5's in the quarter on street tires and had a hoot.  If I abused it for a number of years I'd imagine a broken nose cone. If I was using a 1.22 close 4th I would think I would have cracked the intermediate section of the trans due to much needed clearancing internally. Since I had a 1.14 close 4th I had enough meat to keep that trans together.

Support it properly or breakage is a possibility.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 11:15:30 AM by AlanU »