Author Topic: T3 And T1 Axles  (Read 1617 times)

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
T3 And T1 Axles
« on: August 26, 2004, 09:06:55 PM »
Am looking into buying a T3 IRS pan and wishbone for my 64 square......if I do this will a beetle tranny and axle set up work or will I need IRS axles from a T3???? Anyone know???
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline Hansk

T3 And T1 Axles
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 11:18:52 PM »
I think the trany and axles will work ok in theory ..........but  ,  you have another problem . The IRS type 3  torsion housing does not provide any rear mounting for the trans . No trans frame horns like swingaxle cars have .   IRS cars have the eng & trans hanging from the nose cone at the front and the body at the rear.  Your 64 body will not have those mounting points at the rear .  This will be a challenge for sure .

allthough  ,  if just want to use the pan because it's good you could use your old swing axle housing on the new pan and keep it a swing axle car.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 11:25:00 PM by Hansk »
Big fat black fastback

Offline slammedbus

T3 And T1 Axles
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 07:35:47 PM »
I have fabbed the t2 cross engine mount to go into my bumper bolt holes. Is this what you meant or am I still missing it. I will be going T4 power :unsure: ........so I was hoping that this mount would solve this problem....any input???

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline Hansk

T3 And T1 Axles
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 10:22:39 PM »
AH HA , yes thats what I meant .  Sorry , didn't know you had that figured out already . So yes T1 & t3  std trans and axle shafts are the same other than the front ruber mount and the hockey stick ( shift tube set screw)   and the nose cone should be regular beetle style not late beetle style(73 & up)  Hope that helps .  Sounds like a cool project .  
Big fat black fastback

Offline slammedbus

T3 And T1 Axles
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 04:58:08 PM »
Right on Thanks Hans. I was going to go T4 power on my notch project so I am looking forward to finally doing it on the square. This info does help......now if I can just find an IRS pan and wishbone........this is proving to be difficult... [_[