Author Topic: Trim Holes In Body?  (Read 2666 times)

Offline horizontallyopposed

• http://
Trim Holes In Body?
« on: April 05, 2004, 11:52:55 AM »
I have a 1959 European model Beetle pulled out of a field.  It's all original, and hasn't been customized in anyway.  The only thing unsusal is that it appears the rear clip of the car was replaced somewhere along the line.

What I can't figure out is that behind the doors, there are no holes for the chrome trim (I've tried jamming my hand up there from inside, and can't feel any weld or filler or anything).  In front of the doors there are holes, and the doors have holes for trim.  Anybody hazard a guess as to why?

TIA
Keith
Club Vee Dub | My Resto (updated every blue moon)
calgary.ab.ca
66 Beetle | 59 Euro Beetle | 86 Westy | 04 Passat
I gotta have more cowbell!

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Trim Holes In Body?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 12:33:16 PM »
start by violently jabbing away at the rear quarter with a screwdriver. the holes will show up.  ;) j/k

as far as i know, the trim should be there. should be 4 holes on each side. i imagine that someone cut and welded small tabs of metal and welded them in and cleaned it up really well. what is the plan for the car? you could always sand down that area and see what it reveals.

Offline Bruce

Trim Holes In Body?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 02:33:20 PM »
Some standards didn't have trim.  It could be that the front sheet metal was replaced due to a collision, and doors too.

Trim Holes In Body?
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 08:57:59 PM »
Some standards didn't have trim.  It could be that the front sheet metal was replaced due to a collision, and doors too.
That's what I was thinking too Bruce.  What are the tell tale signs inside of a standard model?
calgary.ab.ca

Stephan Schmidt

Trim Holes In Body?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 11:43:39 PM »
I agree with bruce.  I might have been an accident or a standard beetle.  I believe that some of the VERY rare oval standards (or war vehicles) can without chrome

Offline ehos

Trim Holes In Body?
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 09:56:40 AM »
Canadian Standards: 3 spoke steering wheels, body coloured everything (ie no chrome on the vent windows), no rails on the seats (they have wingnuts to hold them down).

Some had round wiper arms, some no trim.  Different horns (not 100% sure, some say yes, some say no, mine had the same horn).   Simple interior.

Different headliner! (Headliner is only in the square middle part, not running down the sides like most bugs).  

Really cool cars!  Anyone have a Canadian Standard for sale? ;)

Offline 67kafer

Trim Holes In Body?
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 01:08:39 PM »
Hey jp I still have the 56 canadian standard That I bought out of your backyard last year from ryan I'll sell it for what I paid witch was probaly too much   :blink:
I Think it still has your name on the roof :D
Later
Evan

Russ

Trim Holes In Body?
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 01:41:40 PM »
there is a post by james about an oval standard on ebay(look in the classifieds here)
the car is local

Offline James Buchan

Trim Holes In Body?
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 02:19:11 PM »
That auction should almost be done too.

Trim Holes In Body?
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 02:20:15 PM »
Canadian Standards: 3 spoke steering wheels, body coloured everything (ie no chrome on the vent windows), no rails on the seats (they have wingnuts to hold them down).

Some had round wiper arms, some no trim.  Different horns (not 100% sure, some say yes, some say no, mine had the same horn).   Simple interior.

Different headliner! (Headliner is only in the square middle part, not running down the sides like most bugs).  

Really cool cars!  Anyone have a Canadian Standard for sale? ;)
Yeah but JP it can't be a Cdn Std because it has sempahores. :ph34r:  
calgary.ab.ca

Offline ehos

Trim Holes In Body?
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 02:38:00 PM »
Hey jp I still have the 56 canadian standard That I bought out of your backyard last year from ryan I'll sell it for what I paid witch was probaly too much   :blink:
I Think it still has your name on the roof :D
Later
Evan
Evan!

I was confused by your post :)  I thought you said I sold you that Oval (but re-read it and it says 'Ryan' sold it to you).

I was going to buy that White Oval, but man, it's rough.  I'm weak! I'm weak! :)  I was gonna buy it, and even lost my $200 deposit to Ryan.  

Did I write my name on it?  Oh! In pencil! OOps, sorry man :)  I was just showing my wife I could write :)

I thought you were gonna do the rat look on it?  I might be interested in it actually (did you strip it though?).  Pm me!  

Offline ehos

Trim Holes In Body?
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 02:42:12 PM »
Hmm, well I should read more carefully!

First, very cool car! (I didn't read the Euro part).

Maybe someone welded or bondo'd them over?  Sandblast (carefully) and you'll know for sure if it was filled or factory).  

Any other evidence it was clipped??  (Should be fairly easy to tell, unless the welder was a magician).  
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 02:43:50 PM by ehos »

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Trim Holes In Body?
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 03:51:53 PM »

Some had round wiper arms, some no trim.  Different horns (not 100% sure, some say yes, some say no, mine had the same horn).   Simple interior.

Really cool cars!  Anyone have a Canadian Standard for sale? ;)
and it's not an oval, it's a '59.

i think there are two threads going on here. one talking about what features a canadian standard oval came with, and two, horizontally opposed wants to know how to find out whether or not there should be trim on the rear 1/4 of his '59.

what are your plans for the car, h/o? if you plan a respray, just sand it down and find out whats underneath.