Author Topic: Rust Prevention!  (Read 1911 times)

Offline dannyboy

Rust Prevention!
« on: November 13, 2005, 07:43:15 PM »
im going to be starting (hopefully) the rust repair on the single cab soon, and unfortunatly it will have to be stored outside for the time being, what should i put on the repair panels and bare areas to keep the rust away, while she sits awaiting a fresh coat of paint? (most likely a couple months or so)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 07:44:56 PM by dannyboy »

Offline Chris

• Car.
Rust Prevention!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 08:02:49 PM »
just give it to me, your never going to finish it anyway

Offline dannyboy

Rust Prevention!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 08:12:54 PM »
its going to be out next summer!
and il start as soon as i quit being poor!
 :lol:  

Offline kirin

Rust Prevention!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 08:33:34 PM »
Depending what sort of surface your working on.....
For frame rails and stuff I would rust mort it which kills the rust and gives it a protective coating. For sheet metaly stuff your best off probably etch priming it. However most primers are porous and will just soak up water... So maybe hmmm etch prime and seal it and it should be okay? Talk to a body guy(AKA Slammedbus) He knows his shizzle.
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline surgerypending

Rust Prevention!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 08:53:23 PM »
Dan,
I'd put some epoxy on there....even if you have to brush it on..let me know. I might have a little extra kickin around here if you only have a few small spots to do. You could also wax-oil it...that stuff is awsome but will need a pretty strong degreaser to get it all off later..I wouldn't use it for this.
Gerry
Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Offline Hillbilly

• http://
Rust Prevention!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 08:54:55 PM »
Depending what sort of surface your working on.....
For frame rails and stuff I would rust mort it which kills the rust and gives it a protective coating. For sheet metaly stuff your best off probably etch priming it. However most primers are porous and will just soak up water... So maybe hmmm etch prime and seal it and it should be okay? Talk to a body guy(AKA Slammedbus) He knows his shizzle.
Rustmort..not that good if you are dealing with seams it gets in there and never gets out :angry: .I would recomend a epoxy primer you can spray and or brush it.the sweet thing about it is it is water proof.you can also fill over top of it ( highly recomended) use a brush and push it into your seams and pinch welds.Very good product.It will protect just about anything till you get back at it.
                   Bill   ^_^  
If any won of yew can tell me how to ewes spell cheque please let me no.....:o)

Offline kit

• http://
Rust Prevention!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 09:19:06 PM »
finally some one that knows wat there talking about , forget the por 15 ,epoxy is the way to go, still have to treat the rust tho
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 09:21:36 PM by kit »

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
Rust Prevention!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 09:36:13 PM »
Dan use a DX 1791 etch prime then seal it up with a DP epoxy prime. Both PPG products.  
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline jonny

Rust Prevention!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 09:55:16 PM »
Rust repair and prevention requires some planning before you jump into it. It's not the terribly complicated but can be a headache down the road if not done properly. Access to a sandblasting equipment is essential which can be done with home equipment or there is a couple of local DIY facilities that have been discussed on this forum in the past.

Say for example you are repairing a rusted area on the lower outside part of a door. Determine first how much metal will have to be replaced bearing in mind the most rust perforation starts from the inside and works its way out. So what looks like a small area from what you can see on the outside may be considerably more involved on the inside. Grind or sand back the paint surrounding the affected area to get a look at it. Mark out the area you want to cut out and carefully cut the metal out with a cut off wheel. Now you can see what is going on inside and have some access to this area. Time to sandblast or treat the inner metal with a rust converter(por15/rust mort). once the rust inside is delt with you need to seal this area. Epoxy primer can be used for this if access allows. On pinchwelds where two pieces of metal will be sandwiched together the best thing to use is a weld thru primer. A little known dual purpose product i have discovered for this is RM am700 etch primer (White & Peters) If you read the product sheet on this stuff it says it can be used as a weld thru primer. In my experience it works pretty good making for some nice clean welds as well as having etch primer properties. Now fit and adjust your patch panel(s) prep the backside and weld them in. With all your major rust repair done sandblast the entire panel(in this case the door) and apply a good quality epoxy primer (Northstar available at Valley CC kick a$$).

Work small and slow one panel at a time and you should be able to keep the rust under control even though the vehicle is outdoors. Wax oil was mentioned earlier i would hold off on this till this whole vehicle done and them spray it in the enclosed areas ie rockers, inside of door, etc.

This is my procedure for doing rust repair and works good for me. The cool thing about bodywork in general is you can ask five different technicians how to tackle a certain repair and get five different answers all of which are correct. So I am sure there are lots of stuff other people can add to my babble. Consider them all and figure out what will work best for you.

Have fun and post some pictures so we can all check out the progress.

Offline dannyboy

Rust Prevention!
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 10:24:02 PM »
thanks for the tips guys, i had thought about using epoxy, but i was always told even epoxy would soak up water;  but this wasnt coming from any professionals.  
epoxy it is!