Author Topic: Painting Chrome  (Read 1293 times)

Russ

Painting Chrome
« on: May 09, 2005, 03:12:46 PM »
i have a set of plate frames i would like to redo,how do you go about painting the chrome for decent adhesion?i just want to paint behind the leteing to make it stand out like it was originally done
thanks
russ

Offline HeliMike

Painting Chrome
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 04:53:55 PM »
The less-than-intelligent previous owner of my squareback did in my bumpers like that. I scratched off the paint with a razor blade and it looks like he used a yellow metal-etching primer, grey primer and base-clear over that.
It sticks. There are no chips in my bumpers at all so it's probably safe to say it would be okay on a plate frame. Maybe a little excessive for just some letters though.
Maybe someone else can chime in or add to that?
67 Sunroof Beetle

Offline surgerypending

Painting Chrome
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 05:59:06 PM »
Blast it....glass beeding is the only way. Then of course you have to either etch it or epoxy it.
Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Offline shortseurocustom

• http://
Painting Chrome
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 10:40:44 PM »
If blasting is not possible- I would prep with 80 grit and then etch it prior to paint. I've been donig this- for other people- for years! Door handles, headlight trim rings, big ugly latemodel beetle bumpers, you name it. Good luck no matter which route you go.
If you want it bad, you'll get it bad- The worse you want it the worse it will be!