Author Topic: Motor In:)  (Read 2382 times)

Russ

Motor In:)
« on: July 17, 2004, 04:08:04 PM »
hey all,
had the back of my beetle on jackstands for the last couple of weeks until the motor was finished being rebuilt.
got the motor in last night :D  and took it for a drive it seems like something moved in the steering when i first took it out??
my steering wheel now sits at a cocked angle and the steering itself seems a little stiff??
this sound like a steering box problem? car in question is a 57 beetle
thanks for any help or suggestions
russ  

Offline Scratchy

• http://scratchy.kicks-ass.net
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 12:28:32 AM »
Did you have the tranny out?

If so, it sounds like you mis-aligned the swingaxle ends in the slotted spring-plate holes.
That can make your beetle dog track and affect your steering, if the rear wheels are not aligned correctly.

Normal procedure is to mark the housing and spring plate before disassembly, so they can be realigned,
assuming your original alignment was OK.

-= Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room! =-

Russ

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 07:32:15 AM »
trans was in the whole time,just the engine came out.

Offline Hoosier Daddy

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 08:20:41 PM »
It's possible the steering box might have come loose. I would pull the gas tank and look at the steering shaft to see if it is still centered in the column..just a thought

Russ

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 09:17:29 PM »
ok i pulled the front wheel and looked at the steering coupler (looks fine)
alot of dirt and grime under there.the steering box looks like it might be leaking (the pitman arm looks to have fresh oil on it)
another thing i should mention is the steering seemed to have gotten quite stiff.
looked in the steering box it was low on oil so i topped it up made no difference.
any other i deas i am leaning towards steering box??but any help would be great
thanks russ

Offline James Buchan

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 10:23:23 PM »
Hey Russ - I may have a box off of my old '60 you could give it a try and see if it works for you. (just give me a bit to find it)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 10:23:32 PM by James Buchan »

Offline Hansk

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 10:23:30 PM »
I've had the king pins seize up on me on a daily driver. steering just got heavier and heavier. Lack of grease I guess.
Big fat black fastback

Offline GRK

• http://
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 09:43:04 AM »
I'm  with Hansk My sandrail had a kingpin that froze up had to take it off soaked it in oil went out for a couple day's and worked it free. :mullet:  :mullet:  

Russ

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 10:50:22 AM »
i'm leaning that way as well i did grease them up but it was no good.
i think what happened is it was siezed or dried up when i went to drive it it was stiff and the bolt that holds the steering bar in place jumped a tooth hence the crooked steering wheel.
i may end up replacing the king link pins this weekend if i can't figure it out completley
russ

Russ

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 03:40:49 PM »
well took off the tie rods and the king links moved free and clear.
bought a new steering box and a set of tie rods and it rides and turns very nice now :)
i have now changed the trans,motor and part of the steering on my daily driver i should be good for awhile :)
thanks for the advice guys
russ