Author Topic: Dellorto Card Rebuild  (Read 4452 times)

Offline Mike Scott

Dellorto Card Rebuild
« on: January 23, 2004, 07:53:40 AM »
Hello all,

I have a set of 40mm DRLA Dellorto's with almost zero miles on them. Problem is they were not stored correctly and left sitting with gas in them for a long period of time. One of the throttle shafts was almost seized, and internally the carbs have alot of crap/ deposits in them. I have totally disassembled them now. I removed the throttle shaft and cleaned it up, but there is still alot of gunk in there. What's next, I thought general practice was soak in carb cleaner? Are the throttle shaft bearings included in the rebuild kits?

Thanks for any info

Mike Scott

Offline captCRUNCH

• http://
Dellorto Card Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 09:27:14 AM »
i've heard about soda blasting...not sure on exactly what it is but i've heard it works wonders. can anyone give a bit of details?? or anyone local that does this??

Offline James Buchan

Dellorto Card Rebuild
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 10:21:29 AM »
I had my IDA's rebuilt by airspeed - not sure if they did them or sent them out but they came back like new.

Billyisgr8

Dellorto Card Rebuild
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 10:31:16 AM »
mine were ultrasonicly cleaned... they also looked like new. Mine were done in germany though.  I have 2 master rebuild kits for sale. $50.00 for the pair if your intrested.  They are for 40 downdraft dells.

Kevin

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
Dellorto Card Rebuild
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 08:45:58 PM »
no there is no bearings in the kit ,i think they are about $11.00 each .got mine at advance bearing in richmond.my carbs were in the same condition after sitting for 10 years.once you press the throttle shaft out you can pull the bearings and that is where you will find all the buildup-strip them and all the parts and let it all soak in a bucket of carb cleaner,no blasting will not clean plugged passageways.all parts will come out looking like a million bucks.WARNING INSTALLING THE THROTTLE SHAFT AND BEARINGS IS VERY TRICKY .you must centre the shaft and bearings at the same time as the fit is tight.you may want too freeze the shaft beforehand and warm the carb housings,then you can install one bearing,flip carb and support under the installed bearing with a socket .press in throttle shaft.make sure everthing is 100% lined up ,then support the end of the throttle shaft and install last bearing.kind of a 1/2/3 step thing.hope it makes sense.there is some pictures of my carbs in a post below about adapters.good luck and be patient.

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline Mike Scott

Dellorto Card Rebuild
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 09:01:00 PM »
Ok, tomorrow its off to buy some carb cleaner to soak the carbs in. Anyone know where I can purchase this? I tried a few local parts stores and couldn't find it. Thanks for the info on the throttle shaft Jim, I actually all ready removed it. There was alot of crap in there and in the accelerator pump.

Kevin, can you PM me your phone number. I lost it after you got those heads....

Thanks for the info

Offline James Buchan

Dellorto Card Rebuild
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 09:09:34 PM »
I have the Dell performance handbook if you would like to borrow it for the rebuild. Give me a day to find it though.

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
Dellorto Card Rebuild
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2004, 08:08:14 AM »
call pacific parts for a large container with a basket of carb cleaner,
dissasembley is easy ,reassembley is tricky

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp