Author Topic: Budget Power  (Read 4652 times)

Offline aircoolednewf

Budget Power
« on: January 11, 2004, 05:57:27 AM »
what things could someone with little experience do ( on my owne) to a 1600 single port to bump up the horses. ie what cam, slip fit piston and cylender kits, pullys,heads,anything you can think of that will give me some go. THe catch is it has to be a budget type of thing.

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
Budget Power
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 08:46:22 AM »
you say you have little experience ,but it sounds like you want to pull a motor and split the case,thats a big job .do you want to pull the motor,and what's your budget?

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Billyisgr8

Budget Power
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 09:07:19 AM »
This is to keep your motor a 1600 sp

buy some used 1.4 rockers and use the stock cam, then shorten the pushrods yourself,  If you have a single carb then enlarge the venturi in the carb by 2mm ( you can use a dremel but make sure the shape of the venturi stays the same , you will have to go up in the main jet size too. Clean it up very smooth.  

Or buy a used engle 100....cheaper to buy a used cam then 1.4 rockers.... upgrade to HD single valvesprings.

Remove some of the valve guide supporting material in the intake/exhaust port to create better flow. Clean-up the ports with a flapwheel.  Match port the intake to the heads.

Change to a header system using your heater boxes with a single quietpack muffler.

Find another used distributor, and take out 1 of the softer springs of the 2 used in the centrifigal advance, and use the 1 soft spring in yours and the other from the used distributor...so you will have 2 soft springs ( this will allow more advance sooner and the motor will pull harder up to full advance and you will notice this in any motor, stock or performance).

You will not reconize this motor as being the same after this.  This should be good for 8- 14 hp

Kevin

Offline Hansk

Budget Power
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 09:29:19 AM »
I'd start by finding a set of good used kadron duel carbs with single
port manifolds( I don't believe single port manifolds are available new
check with airspeed)  Also a 4 into 1 header. You will need at least
this much for any future mods you will do. These will just bolt on. Then
if and when you want to take the motor apart I'd concider going with
 more of a fully thought out plan  , a package to get what you want.
duel port heads and  machine in p&c kit (90.5 or 94's) mild cam , solid
rocker shafts , counter wieght crank, light flywheel, deep sump etc. etc. etc.
It can get to be a snow ball thing but I think there is nothing funner.
Big fat black fastback

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Budget Power
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 12:24:51 PM »
1.25 rockers, header with dual quiet pack muffler, small dual weber ict carbs or kads, pertronix electronic ignition.  

Offline moni

• http://www.texturedimpressions.com
Budget Power
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 12:53:45 PM »
you say you have little experience, but it sounds like you want to pull a motor and split the case, thats a big job.
ACN, don't worry if you're considering splitting the case. if a rookie like me can do it, you can too.
Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me, but deep down I know that's not true. Some smaller countries are neutral.

Offline aircoolednewf

Budget Power
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 04:59:57 PM »
I'm not afraid to split the case, so I think i will use a cam. ( is a 100 better than the 110?) I also already tried the cadrons, and a merged header, with the 009 dist, and all that happened was that i went through more gass. I will try the match pourt, but i don't think i can do the venturi. is it removeable? how about slip fit pistons and cylenders?These may be out of budget for now. cadrons,I can get. i had 2 sets kicking around here somewhere. the hedder I think i can handle. I don't have a big budget, because I got to buy 4 fenders, 2 aprons, and a few more pieces to switch over from baja to a full fender bug.OH!... when I replace the cam, do I need to replace the bearings. how about if it 's turboed.( just an idea)

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
Budget Power
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2004, 08:15:09 PM »
like i said its a big job and compile all the small bits it adds up fast.also if you upgrade the motor , suspension and brakes will need attention!here is a great tip.figure out exactally what you want to get from your car,speed/reliability/a looker /etc , take into account the age and milage of all the pieces your goinng to be working on  ,,then set a buget for all area's that need attention.then stick to your plan and build it.it is really easy to get ahead of youself,tackle one job at a time,
you say your on a buget?what do you want from your car [motor]and what do you want to spend on it?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 07:33:38 AM by jim martin »

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline Hansk

Budget Power
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2004, 09:21:52 PM »
I think that if you tried the kadrons , header and dist.  (all at the same time?)and all that happened was you went through more gas, something was wrong. You should have also noticed more power over stock. You should
also get good milage with easy driving.
On the other hand, if you really feel like spliting the block and change the
cam etc. just for fun , go for it. Let us know how it turns out.
Big fat black fastback

Offline JSimmons

• http://
Budget Power
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2004, 04:59:36 AM »
Aloha,

I had a '67 Bug about a year ago that had a 1500SP motor in it and it ran ~21.0 in the 1/4 mile.  After putting single port Kadrons on, a street header and \"hideout\" exhaust on it, it ran ~18.5 in the 1/4 mile (everthing else completely stock).  Now...I don't know about you, but that's a damn good return on investment.  Of course, having the local Kadron guru work his magic on the carbs & timing helped out a bit (of course this was all free as he was friends with my parts man at the local Napa store).

If all you were getting out of your K-dogs was a more expensive bill at the pump, then those carbs need attention.  I'm no engine guru, but I know you can get decent power out of Kadrons on a single port motor.

aloha,
Joel

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.  ~Benjamin Franklin