Author Topic: Singl Relief Vs Dual Relief Cases.  (Read 4014 times)

Billyisgr8

Singl Relief Vs Dual Relief Cases.
« on: December 25, 2003, 01:02:42 PM »
Since I've been into vw's all I know is you want the dual relief case because it's better.  And since i will be draging a singlport engine this year am I to be worried about only having a singlerelief case ( actually I never looked  to see if it is a single or dual relief yet) but I would think it to be a single relief though.  From a drag racing point of view is the single relief case OK.  Of course all this is null if it is a dual relief case.  Since I am on the topic, am I right in thinking the only difference between the 2 cases is that the dual relief dumps the oil back into the sump when the max pressure for the system is reached?  The first relief just bypasses the oil cooler when oil is thick and cold.

So what are the pro's and con's for the single vs dual relief cases? Are all single relief cases the wrong cast material?   I could have posted this on the STF but I thought it would be good to get some good topics going here to atrack more members.

Oh ... I went to look for the case  code under the breather, and there is not one, and I didn't want to get dirty, so I won't know the code till I take the motor apart to do some stuff.

Kevin

Offline captCRUNCH

• http://
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2003, 01:48:52 PM »
does the case say anything on the passenger side by the thermestat (i know my spelling is horrible) housing?? i know my case says mexico as41 and some other numbers. as for the rest of your question i dont' think that i would be able to help you out too much. merry xmas

craig

Offline Hansk

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 07:05:02 PM »
Personally I don't think it's any big deal as far as oiling.
A deep sump will be far more important no matter what!
But if it is an orignal single relief case it will have 10mm
studs with no inserts witch may be questionable under boost.
SO now .....do you want to spend $ to insert an old single relief case?
I might.... but many wouldn't.

Big fat black fastback