Author Topic: Aircare Warning  (Read 4884 times)

Offline Bruce

Aircare Warning
« on: November 19, 2003, 03:10:05 AM »
Went through aircare today (no problems) and afterwards I was talking to my friend who works for the gov't dept that runs the aircare program (Translink ????)  Although they set the standards, they can't control everything about how the tests are performed by the independant company that's doing it.

Anyway, he was telling me they are pushing to scrap the whole gas cap testing bit.  ONe of the reasons is that the tests are failing good caps simply because the procedure used is flawed and the guys doing it don't take the time necessary to seal your cap.  In particular, he said a VW Fox factory gas cap will ALWAYS fail their test even if it is good.  Turns out the gas cap is longer than their stupid adaptor, so it bottoms out before the seal contacts the rim.  

If your cap fails, demand it be tested by another operator.  If they refuse, demand to see the station manager.  They usually won't do it because they know their procedure is the cause of cap failure.  
Luckily for me, they don't have an adaptor for 72 and later Beetles.  In previous years they have never been able to test mine.
Bastards!

Offline moni

• http://www.texturedimpressions.com
Aircare Warning
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 01:43:15 PM »
i brought my '67 in four times this year, and not once did they ask for my gas cap. at most aircare locations, they see an older VW come in and they don't even bother.
Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me, but deep down I know that's not true. Some smaller countries are neutral.

Offline Pipes

• http://
Aircare Warning
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 04:22:21 PM »
I've never had any of my Cars gas caps tested  :rockon:  Lucky i guess!
Trying for low, show & go

1967 Beetle

Billyisgr8

Aircare Warning
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 07:08:32 PM »
Bruce what timing did you run your motor at and which distributor do you have?

Kevin

Offline captCRUNCH

• http://
Aircare Warning
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 11:03:58 PM »
72 is the start for gas cap testing...anything older than that doesn't require a gas cap test. and i must say that the adapters are pretty crude however they are calibated weekly i belive. i think that 94 and newer don't need a cap test either but don't hold me to that number. i stopped working there a few years ago and my memory isn't very sharp...damn i hate to imagine myself 20 years from now  :blink:  

Offline Bruce

Aircare Warning
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2003, 02:20:18 AM »
71 and older cars have factory vented caps.  They are supposed to leak, so testing them is moot.  

And I think he said 95 and newer cars all have a sensor to moniter tank vacuum, so if the cap were leaking it would trigger a fault code.  Besides they always take the cap off while the engine is running to test it.  On the newer cars this is a no-no since it can interfere with the FI and cause the fault code.

Kev, dist is a German 009 with Pertronix & German blue coil.  I think its set to about 30 deg total.  

I've had battery problems lately.  The tiny dry sump pulley does not charge very well since the alternator/cooling fan are going about half their normal speed.  I noticed with the cold it was very hard for the starter to crank it over, just like if you had a hi CR engine with lots of advance, so I knocked the timing back to about 30 total.  This helped a lot.  Then to also help the charging, I raised the idle speed to about 1050.  With the tiny pulley and the rear tin removed, I can just barely get it up to 170-180 if I go out on the fwy.  But at aircare, the temp started to climb idling that long of time.  When I drove it up on the rollers it was at 195, and at the end of the test it was at 220!  And that was at a time when it was almost snowing outside!

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
Aircare Warning
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 04:21:26 PM »
Well, hell, it's a good thing they put that fan in front to \"keep the engine cool\". :lol:  :rolleyes:  
Jason Hamilton

Offline Bruce

Aircare Warning
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2003, 12:38:08 AM »
And notice how they always stick the mirror under the running board to check the CAT.

Offline Hansk

Aircare Warning
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2003, 11:22:23 PM »
Hi Bruce!  Good to hear it's running good. You got any heat in that thing? Or are you just going to head for mexico?
Hans
Big fat black fastback

Offline Bruce

Aircare Warning
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2003, 02:23:18 PM »
Of course I have heat.  Gas heater works great.
No Mex this year, not enough denero