Author Topic: 1776 Build Up..  (Read 4116 times)

Offline kirin

1776 Build Up..
« on: October 25, 2003, 04:55:08 PM »
So I was out at airspeed today looking at some disc brakes and all.. and it struck me. I got a really good set of 1600cc dual port heads.. a brand new set of Kadrons.. Why don't I build up the first engine as a 1776? Good reliability and it shouldn't put me out of a class to much.. okay I will have to fib a bit but really we all know that adding kads to a 1600cc gives it 176 more cc's :wink: . So Heres where I need the experts advice. I got a mint set of german dual port heads. No cracks and perfect fins. Media blasted. They have had a bit of work done. They have new valves and springs(No idea on what type though.. I can compress the spring a bit with my fingers though) So heres what i'm into.. I want a engine that pulls really well off the line. Heres where I get a little bit kind of off kilter. I wouldn't mind building this thing so I could get some mid to high rpm power. Pretty much I have no budget(Meaning I can throw all my money out the window at this thing) So what I want is a smooth.. torquey.. and hard pulling 1776.. Cam wise what should I look for? Engle 110 seems like pretty much the standard. Umm pistons well thats kind of obvious.. Crank.. well I'm kind of leaning towards DMS counterweight since well.. I drive hard and I want to launch hard(Yeah I know I'm bad but I will get the proper braces.. don't need to futz up my bug even worse) Also to get the most out of this beast I'm going to be getting a new trans.. basically built close to what should be for a engine of this size.. since we all know how far the leap is from 2nd to third.. So thats where I stand. I haven't built or rebuilt a ACVW engine before. I have successfully torn down and started reassembling a cast iron block ford.. That was fun. Anyways point me in the right direction.. Also I'm pretty much leaning towards getting a new case..(Still debating what type..) because this first engine will pretty much be a spring board to bigger engines once I get this thing done up right. Carburation will be from my Dual kads...
I know this is a pretty much all over the board post but hopefully you can give me some insight..
-Kirin Jacobsen
1962 bug seabert(Autocrosser weekender/fun daily driver) In the works..
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline JSimmons

• http://
1776 Build Up..
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 05:13:51 PM »
Aloha Kirin,

If you want an engine that pulls hard and launches hard...stroke it.  DMS is a pretty affordable manufacturer and I've heard only good things about them.  If budget is no concern for you, why not build the bigger and better engine that you allude to in the first place?  I suppose it all depends on what you're going to use the car for.

If K-dogs are going to be your carbs, and you want a killer engine, maybe you should check out the 46 IDK conversion that A.J. Sims does to Kadrons.  Of course, you need to figure out exactly what kind of work has been done on those heads of yours.  You need to figure out if Kadrons will provide enough breathing room for the engine you want to build.

Of course...if you make your Bug go faster maybe you should buy those disc brakes you were looking at as a starting point.

aloha,
Joel

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline kirin

1776 Build Up..
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2003, 05:24:29 PM »
I have thought about the big engine debate.. I like the idea of stroking it.. My dream engine is a 2165.  What I'm going to be using this car is for daily driving(When its nice) and autocrossing it on the weekends. I want power so I can pretty much launch from the line. But its not the fastest car in the striaght line that wins.. its the one that can go in the corners the fastest.. so pretty much handling is the first step.. but I need to figure out what I want to build up. I wouldn't be opposed to doing a 2165. But like I said I haven't rebuilt or a built a acvw engine yet.. Like I said I would be willing to dump 5-6 grand in it but I would have to run in F-S-S Mod class. or basically a class that is full out.
-Kirin
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline JSimmons

• http://
1776 Build Up..
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2003, 07:08:48 PM »
Aloha,

I see....you want to AutoX the bugga.  Hmmm.  Well, I would be in favor of building the smaller displacement engine in that case.  The 69mm crank might not launch like a stroker, but it will wind up faster (depends on your rods and cam too).  I think keeping yourslef in a class that has definite rules as to what can and cannot be done to the drivetrain is to your advantage.  If you go in an unlimited class I think you would be setting yourself up for disappointment.  Yes, you can make a lot of HP in a ACVW, but like you said, it depends on the car that can go into the corners faster and leave the corners faster.  I love ACVW's but they just don't have the reputation of being a well handling bunch (for road racing at least).

aloha,
Joel

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.  ~Benjamin Franklin