Author Topic: Stroker Or T4?  (Read 2234 times)

Offline onevwnut_99

• http://
Stroker Or T4?
« on: February 12, 2004, 06:50:13 AM »
OK, here's the question?  Which is going to make a better candidate for a screamer engine with horsepower to go.  I want to keep it streetable so what are my best options?  I want to build it myself so should I look for a used T4 or buy a new stroker block and go from there?  Suggestions please!  :unsure:  

Offline 66split

Stroker Or T4?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 08:25:53 AM »
from what i know (take with a grain of salt) its alot cheaper to get more ponies out of a t1.  Now Jake Raby says that a t4 will last forever and a day but to get lots of ponies out of it, you gotta pony up....
naming a car is gay...really gay.

Offline James Buchan

Stroker Or T4?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 08:45:37 AM »
T1 - Half the price, double the horsepower!

Offline onevwnut_99

Stroker Or T4?
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 08:50:41 AM »
OK, lets say I go with a T1 case.  Where should I start?  Buy a used case or buy a new case?  If I buy a used case what case number am I looking for so that I can have it bored for larger p/c and stuff.  New case, who makes the better for the money? :unsure:  

Offline Project Decade

Stroker Or T4?
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 09:21:49 AM »
I have a case allready to go for a stroker kit. Bore cylinders for 94mm pistons, stroke relief, shuffle pin, sleeve all lifter bores. For more info give me a call 604-340-7223  :D  

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
Stroker Or T4?
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 09:32:27 AM »
I bought a used case and had nothing but problems(leaked like a bastard). Your better off going with new parts because if their used someone is selling them for a reason. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

Offline onevwnut_99

Stroker Or T4?
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 10:19:54 AM »
61 Beetle,

Is the case a new or used case?  I'm running an 1835 in my ghia now, so how large could I go with your case and 94's?  I'm pretty new at this stroker stuff.  The 1835 was easy since it was a kit, but building a stroker is gonna take some savy and lots of help from the forums.  I'd like to build a stroker that is a good streetable powerhouse.  

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Stroker Or T4?
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 11:15:31 AM »
A good rebuilt used case can be a good starting point, as long as someone has given it a VERY close inspection. New is the best way in my opinion as you are starting with a STD STD case. Sometimes you can find a used std case but most are 1st cut, being 1st cut is not a bad thing but it just limits the number of times you will be able to line bore and re use it.
Hopefuly you will never need to line bore your case :huh:  

Stephan Schmidt

Stroker Or T4?
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 12:17:42 PM »
Type 4 motors are very nice indeed, but will end up costing you a lot in the end.  Comparing a 2L stock type 4 and a stock 2L type 1 motor, the type 4 would come out on top.  if you have a large budget, building a 2.7L type 4 with over 300 horsepower is easy, and you'll get tons of reliability.  but this isn't really necessary in a daily street car.  I would go with a New or Rebuilt type 1 case. the type 1 parts are much easier to source and cheaper as well.  Depending on what you want (high reving screamer, or torque motor) will depend on the specs...you obviously know this :P.

I'd go with the type 1 motor, just because of ease of fitment, lighter weight in the rear, and parts are easy to come by.  there are also a lot of locals that have large displacement type 1 motors where they have tried and tested some of the best highperformance, or long lasting products out there.  

good luck with everything.

Stephan

Stephan Schmidt

Stroker Or T4?
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 01:34:33 PM »
phone jim or geoff at airspeed 604-881-2233.  they would have everything you are looking for and would help you out with any questions you need answered.  they could also do something for you if you had a certain budget in mind.

stephan

Offline Project Decade

Stroker Or T4?
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 03:58:34 PM »
Hi onevwnut the case is used, but all of the machine work is fresh and still has the label on it from the machine shop for the work that was done on the case. there is nothing wrong with it, no leaks or any other problems. Just buy your stuff and put it together and your off. You can go with a 2275cc or 2332cc it's up to you. any questions give me a call 604-340-7223 :D  P.S. If you have any concerns about it call Jim @ airspeed he will tell you the same thing I am that it is a good case to build a stroker motor. It's not a new case but cheaper than buying a new one if you do not have alot of money to spend.