Author Topic: We Need Your Support!  (Read 8486 times)

Offline moni

• http://www.texturedimpressions.com
We Need Your Support!
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2004, 05:15:14 PM »
taxes. even if they dont go up i believe the government will find other ways to make more money off of us. i may be wrong, but wasnt good old gordo trying to move the election date so he could spend a little more time at the top of the heap?
i agree the gov't will always come up with new ways of making money off taxpayers, ie. user fees. but with the election set for next spring, there is very, very little chance an announcement involving increased taxes and/or user fees for the remainder of the fiscal year. this should continue through to the next fiscal year, as election promises in some degree play out over six months following the polls. after that, though, taxpayers are considered fair game.  [_[

gordo won't move the election date. the four-year term is up as of may, and there isn't any real payoff for him to call it earlier than that -- the Liberals have got a lot of planning, canvassing and spinning to do. the election year is underway, and already the \"good news\" announcements of health-care dollars, post-sec funding, etc. are coming in; this is textbook electioneering. and besides, in 2001 he campaigned on fixed-date elections, and it would be a stupid move politically to pull a 180 now.

so essentially we have to look forward to a may 17 provincial election, november municipal election and, possibly, another federal election. like i said before, politicians know they don't score any brownie points when they jack up taxes -- and every level of government we have in BC is facing an election (or possibility thereof) next year. that's why you can anticipate a year or two break from sky-rocketing taxes.
Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me, but deep down I know that's not true. Some smaller countries are neutral.

Matt

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2004, 05:34:09 PM »
GET ON IT FOLKS,you all raised a www II bomber in holland,now let us build some really big boats eh?
Sorry, I don't see the similarities to this, to compare the two is nonsense.

But I have a couple questions maybe someone can answer. why do we NEED to build more ferries? are they not restorable at a fraction of the cost? are the ferries in service now going to be junked to make way for new ones? Is the Washington group actually an American owned company?  and finally when can we start on religion?  

Offline thrasherbill

• http://www.volksrods.com/id103.htm
We Need Your Support!
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2004, 05:45:17 PM »
Holy fuck. I leave my safe, happy, sawzall weilding home for a few minutes to check out what's going on in the local VW scene and find politics, ferries and olympics???? How many of those fast cats are going to be at the next street legals? Will there be an engine pull event at the olympics? Does \"Gordo\" drive an aircooled VW?

Hey Outkast, when is that religion thread starting up? :rockon:

ThrasheR
Screw preservation... hand me that Sawzall!

CLICK.

Pinhead Lounge

Offline OUTKAST

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2004, 08:21:53 PM »
Moni you one smart cookie  :huh: I like reading your stuff,well informed you are! good stuff :) NOW boys religion  :P  :P  :P  :P  Wait we had better find a proper forum before we get lynched. Thrasher there should definetly be a VW engine pull in the Olympics ,Write the IOC :rockon:  :rockon:  today. Matt here is a crazy idea we tie all the ferries together and make a floating quarter mile out deep so the noise doesn't bother people the waves should make it challenging :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  :D Well chat with you all later
Outkast
P.S. to hell with waiting for that deal Silas you pay and lets go get hammered  ;) I hear the Willow in Kelowma rocks! :P  :P  :P  :P  

Offline moni

• http://www.texturedimpressions.com
We Need Your Support!
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2004, 09:11:01 PM »
lets go get hammered
i could really go for a drink right now too, after thinking about political shit like that.  :lol:  
Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me, but deep down I know that's not true. Some smaller countries are neutral.

Offline James Buchan

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2004, 11:55:58 PM »
Is the Washington group actually an American owned company?

The Washington Marine Group is Based outta the States, almost all marine work are in BC - Tugs,Deepsea,Barges,Repair etc... Head office is where I work - 50 Pemberton North Van.

Offline thrasherbill

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2004, 12:25:56 AM »
So ummmm....yeah....I've got this Volkswagen.....

:wacko:

ThrasheR

CLICK.

Pinhead Lounge

Matt

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2004, 09:06:02 AM »

The Washington Marine Group is Based outta the States, almost all marine work are in BC - Tugs,Deepsea,Barges,Repair etc... Head office is where I work - 50 Pemberton North Van.
So all this talk about a local company getting the job is all horseshit. All you guys want is the huge union wages it will pay when it is being built, by an American company. Why is it OK for an American company to do this job and not a German one? The money still wont stay in Canada.

And what about my previous questions, why do they need replacement? and why can't they be restored?

Flame on Union members, flame on.

Offline Island bugs

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2004, 09:24:12 AM »
Matt The profit may or may not stay in Canada as per almost every other industry in our \"global\" economy however all the money paid in wages and all other related activity (including- materials, shipping etc) would be spent here OVER AND OVER again. The benefits are HUGE! Hell James will spend ALL of his share on VW stuff. To make it simple for you even Airspeed parts (the benefactors of this forum) would do better if the ferries were built here! Wayne

Matt

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2004, 12:37:39 PM »

I see this hole topic as union propaganda.  Youre not patriotic unless you let  bc shipbuilders waste a ton of money on these ferries.
They tendered a bid, and were kncked out by final round. if you cant stay competitive in the field you work in, get the hell out.

still nobody has answered are these restorable at a fraction of the cost.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 12:38:23 PM by Matt »

Offline James Buchan

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2004, 12:58:12 PM »
I'll give the Resto question a stab.

Fleet vessels have a workable lifetime, once they reach a certain age the costs involved to \"restore\" or in this case refit a vessel outweigh the costs of a new build. Take a vessels that's 40 years old and nearing it's lifespan. To completely gut the vessel, replace major amounts of steel and refit it with new wiring, replumb re+re generators,engines,pumps removal of hazardous material such as lead paint,asbestos etc... you are looking at a mojor amount of time and money.

Now look at a new build, as you are building it you are also fitting in new equipement and systems - major time savings and labour costs are way down. New, up to date materials are used and in the end you'll likely see very similar costs for both vessels yet the benefit is that you again have a vessel with a 40+ year lifespan.

Vessels get a yearly \"checkup\", and are constantly being maintained. But until you basically replace all of the infastructure it is not going to be able to keep up with new regulations and codes.

Ships wear out, they are constantly being abused by operators,patrons,vibrations,sea conditions,corrosion and about any other thing you can think of - they simply wear out.

Offline thrasherbill

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2004, 03:26:04 PM »

Ships wear out, they are constantly being abused by operators,patrons,vibrations,sea conditions,corrosion and about any other thing you can think of - they simply wear out.
My VW is 47 years old. I'm pretty sure with a little maintenance and another resto or 2, it still has at least a 40 year life span.

oops... sorry for going off topic. :angry:

ThrasheR

CLICK.

Pinhead Lounge

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
We Need Your Support!
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2004, 04:24:29 PM »

My VW is 47 years old. I'm pretty sure with a little maintenance and another resto or 2, it still has at least a 40 year life span.

ThrasheR
Bill I think that is the topic we should stay on.... :D
 Ok 4 pages about the ferries... Lets move on folks!!!(at the risk of being called Kirin)

How was your weekend?? I went swimming with  8 babes and James/Shane!!! Bikini's everywhere...

and Diapers!! :D  
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Matt

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2004, 05:44:57 PM »
Lets move on folks!!!(at the risk of being called Kirin)

Good call Kirin, um....Shane.

Next stop...Religion. whos first??

Offline Mike Scott

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2004, 07:06:52 PM »
Just got back from drunk inner toobin in princeton, pretty damn fun and hot. Dont have time to read all the rants tonight, that's for work time  :lol:

Mike

Offline Bruce

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2004, 03:07:22 PM »

And what about my previous questions, why do they need replacement? and why can't they be restored?

Lets say you find a 60s VW Van that needs a total resto.  Take it to your local UNIONIZED auto repair shop that charges, say, $75-100 an hour.  By the time you do the body work, total interior renovation, engine, trans, and buy all the trim bits, it will easily cost you $25-30k.  At that level, if all you need is a van to take the kids to their soccer games, just go over to the KIA dealer and buy a new van for less money.

I have a friend who had his 71 Super restored a couple of years ago.  He's into it for way over $20k, and its totally stock.  For $20k he could have just bought a new Golf.

Offline Bruce

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2004, 03:14:58 PM »
Sorry forgot this part, I dont agree with you about the apprenticeship program.............
  So now, I must take time off, make no money, pay my rent and bills etc and pay for school.
How is this different than what every student at SFU and UBC have to do?  Every doctor, lawyer, engineer, school teacher, optometrist, accountant, dentist........

You work 10+ months a year and you can't save up enough to take 4-6 weeks off per year for your education?  AND get paid pogey to boot!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 03:31:00 PM by Bruce »

Offline Chris

• Car.
We Need Your Support!
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2004, 03:18:56 PM »
I got to say that the rates are neccesarily the fault of the unions, many companies inflate there rates as they feel unions cost more money, a lot of big businesses have a \" no employee is gonna get rich of off me\" attitude and want to make more money then the employees. Some companies charge extremely high rates to there internal groups when the employees make around 25% of what is actually charged, so where do all these added costs come from?? Where is the 75% going to??  

Anyway, this has been stretched and skewed in so many ways, if you want to support it then go for it if not you dont have to! Support Zimbabwe Shipbuilders they now how to get you there!

Offline surgerypending

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2004, 04:04:09 PM »
DONE!!!!
Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
We Need Your Support!
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2004, 08:44:26 AM »

ThrasheR [/quote]
 Sorry Bill, but your  VW hasnt been sitting in salt water for years at a time. Nothing lasts forever that gets used all the time. Theres alot of union bashing on here by people who are only getting one side of the story. Unions have done a lot of good things in the past as well. One example would be paid holidays and lunch breaks. Unions fought hard for these. Come over to the other side Matt. You wont get rich working for someone else but at least youll get paid well for an honest days work. I personally would like to see these jobs stay locally because we need them. But we have to stay competitive. Sorry to bring this back up again. But I do feel better :mellow: .

Matt

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2004, 06:20:18 PM »
Come over to the other side Matt.
Um, no thanks.
 No offence Brian, but with the hourly wage I make now, as well as the fact I work flat rate. I would not get paid as much working for a union. I get paid holidays and benefits already.  

Offline thrasherbill

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2004, 06:43:15 PM »

Sorry Bill, but your  VW hasnt been sitting in salt water for years at a time. Nothing lasts forever that gets used all the time.
No need to apologize Sir Snapper, but my car did sit in a field for I don't know how many years and for just over a year has been my trusty daily driver. Oh shit there I go off topic again. What was I thinking bringing up VW's on this union/ferries/politics site?

ThrasheR

CLICK.

Pinhead Lounge

Offline OUTKAST

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2004, 06:50:37 PM »
I tried to kill this toppic with a silver bullet but I ran out of beers. ,  ;) So here is my 2cents you spend more time at work than with your family sometimes so you have to have a good employer I currentley work 712 Ironworkers and the work enviro is pretty decent. I have also worked in some non union jobs just as good . Sometimes due to the trades the unoin goes hand in hand ,We all gotta pay the bills somehow and how and who we do that for is up to the individual to decide .As (Rodney King said 'CCan't we all just get along and go for a ride in our VW'S ) or something like that :)  :)  :)  

Offline James Buchan

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2004, 08:09:31 PM »
712, I used to be in 501!

Offline thrasherbill

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2004, 08:35:22 PM »
I'm a lifelong member of 666.  :rockon:

ThrasheR

ps. I drove my VW today.

CLICK.

Pinhead Lounge

Offline Pipes

• http://
We Need Your Support!
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2004, 08:38:08 PM »
I'm a lifelong member of 666.  :rockon:

ThrasheR

ps. I drove my VW today.
And I see you've been driving the Square as well!  Blew past ya in the other direction a couple times in the Golf
Trying for low, show & go

1967 Beetle

Offline thrasherbill

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2004, 08:43:13 PM »

And I see you've been driving the Square as well!
Also known as \"my better looking half's DAILY DRIVEN VW\".
We took it on a ferry last weekend but it wasn't a BC ferry. (trying to get back on topic  :P )

ThrasheR

CLICK.

Pinhead Lounge

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
We Need Your Support!
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2004, 08:15:02 AM »
Um, no thanks.
 No offence Brian, but with the hourly wage I make now, as well as the fact I work flat rate. I would not get paid as much working for a union. I get paid holidays and benefits already.
Hmmmmmmmmm, well Im happy for you Matt that you like where you work. I guess thats half the battle. But, you say you would not get paid as much working for a union, How do you know? Im not too familiar with this \"flat rate\", How does it work? I know you get holidays and benifits already and you can thank the unions for that. I will put this topic to bed now. Im going back to work. Have a good day all. ;)  

Offline James Buchan

Offline OUTKAST

We Need Your Support!
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2004, 06:00:59 PM »
Hey Thrasher I drove the split van Evreyday this week It makes my understand why I work to enjoy my hobby and FAMILY PLUS ITS COOL PASSING PEOPLE IN A 57 VAN .  :lol: aND jAMES HOPEFULLY THE FERRY THING WORKS OUT  :) mEANWHILE THRASHER WILL CONTINUE TO TRY AND HIJACK IT  :lol:
lATER OUTKAST
P.S. the new ferry should have a VW logo front and year !!!!