Author Topic: 67 Beetle  (Read 7491 times)

Offline tanman

• http://
67 Beetle
« on: February 14, 2006, 08:01:09 PM »
hey guys. i just bought my first VW about 4 days ago. its a 1967 beetle, that needs some work still. the car sat around for about 20 years, then someone bought it and did a bunch of body work on it and put a 73 engine in it. it still needs a lot of the little details to be worked out. anyway, i pushed it home (the seller was right down the street) and started working on it. after a new fuel pump it started right up and runs / idles great. sounds beautiful... im new to these cars but im loving them already. im pretty much new to cars in general, doing my own work on them. i decided on a VW because i want to learn as much as possible and ive heard these are the best / simpleist engines to learn on. ANYWAY - its got flared fiberglass fenders that im not too sure about...

the past few days ive been doing wiring, and its a bitch. i dont know anything about this, but after a couple of days and a bunch of busted fuses, everything except the brake lights is working (it was a hassle cause of the fiberglass fenders... nothing was grounded properly). anyway for some reason the emergency flashers work but now the signals wont work on their own... so im going to have to look into that and the brake lights tonight. im also going to try to figure out whats wrong with the front end (lots of play horizontally, i hear it might be torsion bars), put in a new clutch cable and a new emergency brake cable... and see why there is so much play on the stickshift (ive heard it might be a plastic washer sort of thing rotted out).

anyway, im going to need lots of help so i hope you guys can help out a newbie that really wants to learn as much as he can. first of all... where do the front seatbelts go on? ive got the one side on the bolt close behind the stick shift... but where does the other side clip in? thanks - i'll post pictures as soon as i figure out how to work forums. im new to all of this.  
tanner

Matt

67 Beetle
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 08:14:45 PM »
Welcome to the ASF. You will find a great amount of knowledge here, and a \"friendly\" community. Good year car too!

Russ

67 Beetle
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 08:11:04 AM »
welcome aboard
 :D  

Offline Stevie

67 Beetle
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 06:39:54 PM »
welcome volks Virgin  :)

some things that may help you out..

Buy everything from airspeed...

if your looking for a used part and no one seems to have one
PM Rustybus He has atleast 2 of everything...no offence

if you can't figure something out and you don't get a reply on the forum..
call geoff or Jim at airspeed... they know EVERYTHING..

and the seat belt should attach to the door post, right near the bottom...

enjoy it...

steve

20's SORTA FIT!!

63 Beetle

Offline tanman

67 Beetle
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 07:11:15 PM »
hey. thanks guys. yea airspeed is pretty rad. and the guys there are totally rad and know everything. im having a blast already, but my wallet is a little light. i guess i can expect that! i have a wiring question, jason at airspeed was trying to help me out with it today but im still confused (and i think i bought a flasher that i didnt need... something jason told me to NOT buy... im an idiot). anyway, ive got a brand new relay flasher so i KNOW that isnt the problem. now for some reason, the emergency switch turns on and flashes everything properly. however, the turn signals won't work from the steering column switch. and if i use a test bulb on the 49a hook up in the flasher, nothing happens.

i think that 49a should be providing a constant flashing power into the steering column, and then when i push it to the left or right, the circuit gets completed and the flasher works. however this isnt happening. ive checked my grounds over and over, im fairly certain that they are fine, and i know all the wires are connected right...
im super confused. any help would be GREAT - thanks
tanner

as an update, if you care, the interior pannels are going in after the window seals, and im getting the front end work done on friday--
tanner

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
67 Beetle
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 10:48:20 PM »
... something jason told me to NOT buy...
Oh, I think I'd better qualify my statement in case my boss reads this.

I didn't tell him not to buy the flasher relay, I just suggested that if the emergency flashers were working, the problem probably was not the relay  ;)  (Then I sold him the relay anyways).

Some other background: Tanner's '67 has had one-piece windows installed (with no scraper rubber at all), so he'll likely want to put the vents and proper seals back in for a good, leak-proof fit so if anyone's got any (inexpensive) door parts, speak up.

Tanner's smart, and as he says, willing to learn. He's a little scruffy lookin', but I haven't caught him doing too much mouth-breathing, so once he wraps his mind around how VWs work, he'll be on his way. He sold a Japanese vehicle to buy this Bug, so there can't be too much wrong with 'im.

We have here an opportunity to cast one of today's youth in the proper mould.

Jason Hamilton

Offline James Buchan

67 Beetle
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 06:00:40 AM »
Welcome Tanman - try www.vintagebus.com for wiring diagrams they seem to have the best online resource.

What are your plans for the 67?

Offline tanman

67 Beetle
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 10:30:02 AM »
im looking for a daily driver, but one that looks good too. there isnt too much original on it, but im trying to keep it looking and running great... but making everything back to original seems pretty expensive, for me anyway. a 21 year old student with 20,000 of student loans to pay off. right now i just have to get the wiring done and the front end fixed/tightened/whatever and then it will drive fine. then i want to replace the windows back to original and the fiberglass flared fenders back to original. im just having a blast learning.

oh and jason- sorry if im getting you into trouble! i really appriciate all the help youve been giving me!

tanner

Offline tanman

67 Beetle
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 10:33:52 AM »
oh, and i checked out vintagebus.com, and i have the original book with the wiring diagrams... and im pretty sure its all right. thats why its so confusing! i got kinda mad at it the other day and decided i would leave it alone for awhile so im not doing it out of frustration.
tanner

Offline rustybus

67 Beetle
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 01:15:29 PM »
Did some say virgin :o  I remember those days

Offline Chris

• Car.
67 Beetle
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 01:22:11 PM »
ya stevie is going to take tanman's virginity away  :huh:  

Offline Stevie

67 Beetle
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006, 03:48:24 PM »
what can i say.... Fresh Meat

20's SORTA FIT!!

63 Beetle

Offline Chris

• Car.
67 Beetle
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006, 04:23:49 PM »
Stevie, somethings are better left unsaid.

Offline tanman

67 Beetle
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006, 05:26:15 PM »
im a little creeped out right now.
tanner

Matt

67 Beetle
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006, 05:34:04 PM »
As well you should be.  

Offline Chris

• Car.
67 Beetle
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2006, 05:40:54 PM »
And I thought we only had to worry about Geoff around here.

Offline tanman

67 Beetle
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2006, 07:15:39 PM »
hey i dunno if you guys are all-original kinda guys, but i was thinking of puting a cd player in my bug. ive heard that there is a company who makes replica decks that look exaclty like old decks but are cd players... have you heard anything like this? if not i might just put one in the glove box or something. any idea on retro style cd decks?
tanner

Offline Chris

• Car.
67 Beetle
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2006, 08:27:01 PM »
i have never heard of it but a lot of people put it in the glove box.

Offline rustybus

67 Beetle
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2006, 09:20:13 PM »
I don't think they're many purist on this sight . But if you cut up your dash try to save what you hack out  so when you realize that was a dumb move you can weld it back in ;) . Or like 76 said just put it in the glove box. I have also seen a few under the front drvers seat.

As for the virgin thing don't be nervous it's not like prison my little choir boy :o

and welcome to the sight.  ^_^
Chris

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
67 Beetle
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2006, 09:54:53 PM »
hey i dunno if you guys are all-original kinda guys, but i was thinking of puting a cd player in my bug. ive heard that there is a company who makes replica decks that look exaclty like old decks but are cd players... have you heard anything like this? if not i might just put one in the glove box or something. any idea on retro style cd decks?
welcome to the asf tanner.

if you decide to wire your vw for sound, DO NOT cut the dash.

like 1976bus said, in the glove compartment or even under the dash.

Offline rustybus

67 Beetle
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2006, 11:01:02 PM »
Silas your so blunt AI was pussy footing around the the though off cutting a dash. I know a guy on this forum that has to go through the struggle of de 80's ing his ride . ie welding in a new dash and ditching one piece windows. It's gonna be a pain in the ass

Offline tanman

67 Beetle
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2006, 11:52:28 PM »
yea im gonna have to fix my one-piece windows too. what a hassle. thanks for all the warm welcomes guys.
i think id put it in the glove box - im gonna have to find an original radio or cover for the hole in the dash though.

tanner

Offline Stevie

67 Beetle
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2006, 08:24:05 AM »
just cut it, it's your car it dosn't matter what they think.
but yeah if YOU want to keep the stock look glovebox is definetly the best
way to go..

come on people modifieing the dash isn't that bad,
i have to relocate the 2 top knobs down below the radio cut-out..
sacrifices need to be made, stock is boring!!think FUNCTIONALITY!

Sorry bout earlier i'm really not a creepy guy

20's SORTA FIT!!

63 Beetle

Offline Chris

• Car.
67 Beetle
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2006, 08:51:39 AM »
just cut it, it's your car it dosn't matter what they think.
but yeah if YOU want to keep the stock look glovebox is definetly the best
way to go..

come on people modifieing the dash isn't that bad,
i have to relocate the 2 top knobs down below the radio cut-out..
sacrifices need to be made, stock is boring!!think FUNCTIONALITY!

Sorry bout earlier i'm really not a creepy guy
after all that you want us to believe that your not a creepy guy?

Offline Stevie

67 Beetle
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2006, 12:04:03 PM »
i hate things to be stock. everything should be custom,
cause whats so special about a car that everyone has the exact same thing but a different color? my car is going to be MINE not anywhere close to anyone elses, it will function the way i want it to, and still be convienient, and entertaining... Fun, Loud, Fast, low, and big ass wheels..

How is that creepy???

20's SORTA FIT!!

63 Beetle

Offline tanman

67 Beetle
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2006, 05:17:47 PM »
to each his own. i see value in both. i just figure im too broke to keep it all stock, so im going to have to do a few things my own way.
tanner

Offline rustybus

67 Beetle
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2006, 08:43:09 PM »
yea im gonna have to fix my one-piece windows too. what a hassle. thanks for all the warm welcomes guys.
i think id put it in the glove box - im gonna have to find an original radio or cover for the hole in the dash though.
I do have a set of 67 doors here I believe they even have doors handles in them let me know then I go look to make sure

To remove one piece windows welding is involved unless you change the doors

« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 08:47:13 PM by rustybus »

Offline tanman

67 Beetle
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2006, 10:10:08 PM »
yea im still not 100% sure if im going to do it yet or not. thanks though, i'll get back to you if i decide to.
tanner
tanner

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
67 Beetle
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2006, 04:48:15 PM »
i'm all about the owner personalizing their ride and i appreciate a full custom just as much as a bone stocker, but there are certain ways of doing certain things so you dont have to completely f@#k up a car.

like building a properly narrowed beam rather than taking a bfh to the front apron. or mounting the cd player in the glovebox rather than sawzalling your dashboard.

and heaven forbid, if anything should happen and you find yourself having to sell your precious car, you'll have a way easier time selling an un-cut car than you will selling a car with a gapping whole in the dash and a dented front end.

just my $.02

Offline tanman

67 Beetle
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2006, 06:22:52 PM »
agreed. does anyone have the little cover thing for the radio in a 67? preferably in red?
tanner