Author Topic: 67 Camper Project  (Read 3251 times)

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
67 Camper Project
« on: January 02, 2006, 12:47:46 PM »
Well after a year and a bit of sitting, the camper will finally get started in April or May of this year. I bought this van from Fred Hastings. It is a 1967 Riviera camper. Apparently one of the last 500 split screens. The Riviera camper has quite a neat story and you can read the following if you want.

Fred Stoermer writes:

\"Riviera Motors was the Beaverton, Oregon based regional distributor of Volkswagens. At some point they decided to contract with ASI (Automotive Services, Inc.), based in the Vancouver, Washington area, for Type 2 camper conversions modeled after Westfalia Campmobiles. Why Riviera decided to do this is a puzzle, because Campmobiles sold like hotcakes in the Pacific Northwest.\"
Charles \"Luke\" Lukey responds:

True - they sold so well that Riviera Motors could not keep their downstream dealers supplied. VW offered the following take-it-or-leave-it deal: You get X number of Westfalia campers when you buy Y number of pickups and panel vans.

This posed a problem to Knute Qvale, owner of Riviera Motors. VW pickups and panels were slow movers, prone to \"lot rot.\" Knute knew a cabinet maker named Lasko and assigned him to design and build a camper conversion that would work with the VW panel. He then imposed a new regime on his downstream dealers: You get X number of Westfalia campers when you buy Y number of my \"Riviera\" campers.

The dealers were hesitant at first, but once they'd seen the workmanship of the conversion, they got on board. This was in 1965.

\"Over the years the ASI conversions became (in my opinion) more and more like mini-motorhomes, and less like campers. ASI used their own poptop that is similar in appearance to Westfalia's, but actually quite different in execution. The cabinets, etc., were initially clones of Westfalia's designs, but diverged over the years. All of the fittings, hardware, etc. in ASI rigs are pretty standard mobile home/RV stuff.\"
Mostly true. Every year the sales reps from Westfaliawerk would arrive in Portland to see what new things Knute was adding to his campers. Many of those ideas appeared in next year's Westfalia. They exchanged ideas on what hardware held up and what layout seemed to be popular. Westfalia also used off the shelf RV parts, some still available in European RV shops.

\"I believe they converted Type 2s that were delivered to Riviera Motors by VW as Station Wagons. Two of my friends drive late-'70s ASI conversions. Theirs, and others I've looked over, show all the signs of having been built and fitted out as Station Wagons, then stripped by ASI and reincarnated as campers. I've never seen an ASI conversion with a reinforced chassis, for instance, but I have seen ones that clearly had originally been built with a sunroof.\"
ASI campers, being much lighter than their German counterparts, usually did not require a belly pan. I've seen one that did, but as a double door panel, it would've had one anyway.

\"If ASI continued converting VWs after the 1979 model year, I'm not aware of having seen one. That may be because I haven't really paid much attention to Vanagons.\"
They continued on to the mid-80's. Al Lasko, son of the original cabinet maker, is still in business in Vancouver. He's been doing van conversions since demand for Vanagons petered out a few years ago. I've got him on video, looking over the interior of my Riviera and commenting on the originality of it

So far I have collected.
set of sprintstars, All repair panels, roof rack, adjusters, scat drag fast shifter, monster tach, empi mud flaps, coke cooler, and a 2165 T4 motor with dual 40 dells and other goodies, also a three sided tent.
I have also dropped off my interior with Red Snapper to work his magic on. He is doing all the seats and cushions, as well as some curtains. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HIS HANDY WORK!!!!

Anyways, I will post pics as I get started in the next few months. Just wanted to get motivated as this is my new years resolution. Less work more play (after I finish my current obligations.......don't worry Brent!)
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline Type2Meister

• http://
67 Camper Project
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 03:43:17 PM »
Looks like a nice bus, right on!  Did the bus come out of WA state, or the lower mainland?  I remember looking at what I thought was an EZ Camper around Delta that looked very similar.  
Looks like you have lots of parts ready for it...where did you purchase your repair panels?  
I know you are a shop teacher in Salmon Arm right?  I am a metalwork teacher in Victoria and have a '66 Westfalia in the shop now that I am going to be working on.
Good luck, looking forward to seeing the progress.
Paul

Offline slammedbus

67 Camper Project
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 04:18:46 PM »
Yes sir I teach Autobody up here. So I should have lots of slaves.....er.....childrens to help out. So you must know Kevin Blecic.

I do not know where this originally came from but Fred and Krista live in Renton. Speaking of which anyone know where that goofy dood is???

As for my parts. I buy everything from Airspeed. They spend all the time talking me about parts and ideas I have (both sensible and hairbrained). So they get all my business when it comes time to buy.  
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 04:20:58 PM by slammedbus »

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline OUTKAST

67 Camper Project
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 05:25:44 PM »
WOW JASON ! Looks good your students can practice on yours and then do mine  :lol: Ordered window seals today from airspeed front nose work a spring priority as is coffee in the next couple weeks as you were busy today working .  

Offline Type2Meister

67 Camper Project
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 07:58:22 PM »
Yes sir I teach Autobody up here. So I should have lots of slaves.....er.....childrens to help out. So you must know Kevin Blecic.

Yup I met him briefly at the beginning of the year.  My friend is teaching with him right now at the same school.  I actually have to return an Art Metal video to him...

Offline slammedbus

67 Camper Project
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 10:53:47 PM »
Tell him Inkster says hi. He'll get a kick out of it. I went through \"the farm\" with him and lived at Fairview at UBC with him too.......good times!!!

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
67 Camper Project
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 09:45:06 AM »
Jason, That bus will be sweet! Keep us updated with lot's of pic's.
G.

Offline Type2Meister

67 Camper Project
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 07:59:44 PM »
Tell him Inkster says hi. He'll get a kick out of it. I went through "the farm" with him and lived at Fairview at UBC with him too.......good times!!!
OK, will do.  I lived in housing too at UBC...you're right, it was good times for sure.  Much funner than 'real' life.  

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
67 Camper Project
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 11:56:26 AM »
Curtains?? I dont sew fuckin curtains. Who do you think I am? A seamstress?? WTF!!!  :o  

Offline slammedbus

67 Camper Project
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 04:11:58 PM »
Just do it and love it!!!  :lol:

Friggen upholsterers  :rolleyes: