Author Topic: Stubborn/rusted Bolts  (Read 1626 times)

Offline ArsenicPants

• http://
Stubborn/rusted Bolts
« on: June 26, 2006, 11:07:20 PM »
hey, i'm trying to get my struts off my '75 super
i've got one of the two main bolts out of the spindle mount (the two nuts are finally off, but the bolts are stuck in the holes), after a whole helluva lot of heaving on a 3 foot pry bar (which happened to be the neck of a vacuum cleaner), and bathing the thing in brake fluid
my problem is the second one, it just will not budge one bit, and i'm starting to bend my vacuum stick
i've tried wacking on it with a ballpeen to help break things up, but don't wanna smash it too much to mess up the threads

does anyone have any good tips?
i don't have the luxury of air compression, pretty sure i wouldn't be able to get a gun in there anyways
Original SBC Member #16

Offline 1blk66

Stubborn/rusted Bolts
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 10:51:15 AM »
Can you get heat to it ? Heat almost always free's them up.

Offline ArsenicPants

• http://
Stubborn/rusted Bolts
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 11:19:27 AM »
ya, no heat
can't get it out of my garage either

i'm kinda gettin' pissed about it now
Original SBC Member #16

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Stubborn/rusted Bolts
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 12:16:27 PM »
Tried putting the nuts back on until they are flush with the end of the bolt and whackin them? It'll save the threads in most cases but from the sound of it you are going to need some new hardware anyways. The key ingredient in this case is the biggest hammer you have with the fewest whacks. Lots of little tapping messes things up.

Good luck, I feel for you, been there myself and it always seemed like a good idea at the time. \" peice of cake, done in an hour and I'm back on the road\" Yeah right :angry:  
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline blarneyman

Stubborn/rusted Bolts
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 03:07:56 PM »
Try soaking the bolts over night with PB Blaster then a couple good hard wacks with a 4 pound hammer. Just watch yourself! When those things let go, they're going to fly :D  
www.mbvv.org
My \"new\" 1970 Ghia