Author Topic: Classic 2009 updates and pics  (Read 7234 times)

Offline notchback

Classic 2009 updates and pics
« on: June 13, 2009, 02:51:08 AM »
I found some pics of our boys down at the Classic weekend at NIcks that i wanted to pass around. Although I couldnt find pics of Gavins Zwitter yet even though I know its down there. Garys car looks like it was a hit, nice vip spot!!!! If you find some pics online add them to this thread
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 02:53:18 AM by notchback »
Bruce McCrindle
AIRCOOLED WERKS

New phone number above

Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences

Offline notchback

Re: Classic 2009 updates and pics
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 02:54:19 AM »
the new badge for the club debut at the classic
Bruce McCrindle
AIRCOOLED WERKS

New phone number above

Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences

Offline OUTKAST

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 10:43:44 AM »
Thanks for the pics I'm going next year for sure I hope

Offline vwshawn

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 01:47:12 PM »
Great Pics Guys, please post more!!!
CARS LOOK FANTASTIC!!!
MARTY, hope to join you for next years event!
Thanks, Shawn :)

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 02:08:13 PM »
All I can say is you guys are really missing out! It's been a crazy weekend so far! Gav is getting two photo shoots as I type this. Paul Iozzio (pic with the wheels) is shown above with his new line of forged 17" and 18" early style Porsche wheels.

Swap is crazy as is the burn outs, cars and drinkin! O0

Offline Mirko

• dude, where's my car?
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 02:16:26 PM »
I hope you assholes are having fun down there >:(

Mirko

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Offline buddy boy

• Marked for life
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 03:43:48 PM »
eeeerection !!

"only dead fish swim with the stream"

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 08:45:41 PM »
sweet!! i think i see the nose of gavins zwitter in the first pic! congrats on the 2 shoots gav. and to the dvkk, the new club badge looks great on the car!

have fun ya bastids! ;) 8)

Offline notchback

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 09:08:05 PM »
I hope you assholes are having fun down there >:(

Mirko

I second that MIrko!!!!!!!
Bruce McCrindle
AIRCOOLED WERKS

New phone number above

Offline vwshawn

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 10:09:38 PM »
 :) I third that, wish I were there, lots of things going on right now
The classic would be a great break!
I found this on the net
Enjoy!

http://volksarama.smugmug.com/gallery/8538957_sSUae#P-2-12

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 11:22:56 PM »
thanks for the link vwshawn. it's nice to see some hard reppin' by the canadian cars present & past...

(http://volksarama.smugmug.com/gallery/8538957_sSUae#P-2-12 check out pages 11 & 12 for the heb, gary's 67 & gavins zwitter).

plus....

lookin good boys!! 8)

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 10:11:29 AM »

Thanks vwshawn  ;D

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 10:35:15 PM »
wow!!! Nice rides guys. Nice job on the finish GAV!! Bravo Pal!
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 09:18:06 AM »
Gary won third in his class! Gavin has another shoot in August as well. I have a lot of vic and pic's i'll load when I get back.

Offline 70's Looker

• More than a 70's Hooker!
  • what's this for?
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 05:38:22 PM »
Gary won third in his class!

not bad for a 67  :laugh:
Zündfolge Car Club

Offline Iozzio

• Pauls page
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 09:50:06 PM »
Congrats to Gary and Gavin, they both won big in my book. Here are several pics of the weekend to checkout http://public.fotki.com/Iozzio/car-shows/2009/vw-classic-weekend/

Offline josh

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 11:04:14 AM »
some great shots........  i think this guy stole my IDAs :o http://public.fotki.com/Iozzio/car-shows/2009/vw-classic-weekend/dsc01231.html

one of these years i'll go, looks like a blast!!!
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 12:42:02 PM »
Yep, the pictures look like a whole pile of fun! We're so lucky to have a great VW circle around here. Looking forward to seeing Gavin's car in person.
brian waz

Offline Greg

• http://
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 05:21:54 PM »

Offline vwshawn

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 06:38:51 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics!
Shawn :)

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 08:56:13 PM »
Great pics guys. What was with picture 137? The guy was replacing his tranny at the show?
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline notchback

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 10:24:12 PM »
Good to see Johnny Main representing at the weekend!!!!!! JOhn ill see ya at the Volksfest show in your hood and maybe will crash your driveway
Bruce McCrindle
AIRCOOLED WERKS

New phone number above

Offline Greg

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 10:33:11 PM »

Great pics guys. What was with picture 137? The guy was replacing his tranny at the show?

Snapped an axle. So instead of just fixing it he got himself a Rancho Prostreet and did the full swap at the show

this is the story of our trip
Well everyone...........I thought I'd share our kinda blog . I've been recording most of the stuff we've doing.

It all started after John left is destination.
6pm tuesday: Johnny arrived at my house
7:23 left Andrews house after swapping the van around due to the bad tongue weight.
7:33 we pulled into the terminal for the 9pm.
9pm yup you guessed it and after a 1:35 trip we safely arrived in Vancouver.According to the GPS we'd be arriving at our final destination at 5:20pm wed evening.
11:19 that night we hit the border crossing with zero probs.
11:19 Tuesday night we had or first of many fill ups
3am the next day we had another rest and swapped to Andrew driving in Castle Rock.
3:46am we entered Oregon
4:21am Wed we gassed up ----it's raining now
5:42 'nother rest stop.
7:00am still raing most of the way through Oregon = lame!
7:11 and we stop to let me drive
Breakfast at Denny's for some grub in Grants Pass,Or.
8:50 and we're back on the road with a ETA of 8:pm Wed night.
9:46 and we just got into California and no rain now :)
10:38 and we're driving through Weed,Ca.
We're now on our way to Redding where Wolfgang is.
11:38 ETA at Wolfgang.
11:20 another pee brake at a rest stop
12:20 we arrived at bus central------Wolfgang!!
12:51 we too in some lunch and Subway in Redding
2:26 Andrew made a reservation for Thursday night.
2:40pm Wed afternoon I popped in some Daft Punk to put some life into our long boring drive
3:20 I took control of the driving again at a rest stop while Greg pulled some inner fender well parts out from the front of the car.
5:15pm wed night- we just past Sacramento and the pulled into the rest stop and had some snacks that Laureena had packed for the boys on the trip.

5:20-Andrew starts one of his driving shift at a really yucky rest stop.
7:30 Wed pm-gas stop + driver change to John and grabbed some snacks etc at the 76 in Hillcrest Ca.
10:02 we just arrived in L.A. on our way to North Hollywood where Heathers Aunt and Uncle live.
10:20 that night we arrived at their house for some cold beers and some dinner wating followed by a whole room to ourselves. Thanks Bob!!!

Thursday 9am we woke up and hit the shower etc and had some tea.
10am we had some home cooked breakfast= great !
11:13 Thursday we headed out to the hotel.
1:25 we arrived at the host hotel in Irvine Ca. the Crowne Plaza.
3:30we headed to do a little touristy stuff and went to Huntington Beach so Andrew could dip his big toe into the Pacific ocean. We didn't tell him that it was the same ocean as the one at Gyro Park. :lol:  We also got some lunch after one of the local surf shops recommended. This is after we walked the beach with bare feet. Wow how hot on the feet but feels sooo awesome in the toes.
7:04 we got back to the hotel to change and pee  :)  Lots of cars are in the parking lot now. Oh and the Bull Run guys are here!

10:18 after a long time in the parking lot chatting them up and hearing all about their fame Devo and I leave Greg,Johhny and Andrew and head up to the room to moon them and relax and watch TV/snack etc.
11:08 Thursday night- the boyz are still out there chatting up anyone with an American accent :)

Thats if for now everyone-----check back later for some updates. I'll also be posting our journey pixs wehen Dev gets the Gallery back up and running.

Friday 9:35am-We're mostly up and showered talking about last night crazy(Andrew says hi) ok I'm back.....activities. John and Andrew said that there was the Crazy white 356 driving erratically in the parking lot and smashed into curbs. TWICE !
10:15am- We headed out to Vee Dub Parts Unlimited for their show and shine and lunch.
11:30 Johnny barfs from the Mexican food. and beer. I don't think he's eating very much or properly.
12:23-back to the hotel to swap clothes grab Heather and head out to our next venue.
12:40-We head out to Nick's Burgers.
3:04 Friday afternoon- Johnny and Greg came back to the hotel from Nick's so John could have a shower. His gas line split right at the spigot right in the middle of all the cars in  the parking lot. John and Greg took turns underneath getting her fixed but got covered in gas.

10:05 Fri night- got back to the hotel after the day at Nick's Burgers. There where some awesome burn-outs especially the one from the T34 Ghia that one of the Bull Run guys owned. Then Devo and I went out for a beer run for some of the guys.

Sat 12:am- Devo,Greg , Heather and I came came upstairs to retire for the night. Hopefully we'll try to rest up for a long day at the OCTO meet in the morning. Johnny and Andrew are still out mingling.
1:30 - some of us had gone back out but we're all back in now after an excellent night chatting up some of the local VW icons.
5:56am most of us have showered buy now and the rest are either at the bus or on the way to one of those things. Then we're on our way to OCTO bus meet.
7am- We arrive at the California Angels Stadium. Tonnes of bus's and huge swap meet. We've never seen so many vans in one location 8)
11:30 we leave OCTO to got to Jay Cee shop of horse power!! It just started to rain a little before we just pull out.
11:45-arrived there to find some insane drag cars and many street leagal but would be impounded where we live. There was a motor dyno pull every hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VvxGTKio-0

We think according to the chatter in that room that this thing pulled around 8000RPM and made around 280HP and didn't push it at all. Plus the customer was right there. They said it would push the car into the 10 sec club.

Had a hamburger/hot dog chips and a water and hung out for awhile.
1pm Sat- we headed back to the hotel where there was a Toy & Literature show right in the hotel. Talk about convenient to spend more money  :lol:
2:23-right now and we're chilling in the room room and writing in my book checking out the net and going over the days activities.

7:20pm Sat night-Sorry it's been so long since we last talked  :lol:  ......but we gathered up the Idaho boys and Black Chrome (Dave Sanders-San Jose) and went to a really nice sit down Mexican restaurant a few walking blocks away. Everyone ate well and no barfing from Johnny  :wink:  I think we'll hang in the room for a bit and then venture back out to the parking lot. There are soooo many cars in the parking lot right now. We're on the 6th floor so theres a really good aerial view from here. Also we're right near the John Wayne Airport and there have been lots of Bi-planes coming and going.
- lots of trailer queens here but the cars with the most stories are the daily drivers like the KCW bus that John Jones drove with his family and two low rider bikes on top.
7:46-I made my first skype phone call home to my honey. Weird delay but props to our computer genius Devo!...........off to the parking lot now  8)
8pm-scoped out the sweet two tone d/c on cookie cutters with IRS and a turbo..........then over to the '51 split window bud with crotch coolers. Very OG looking.
8:38-Devo and I headed back up to the room to do my attempt at blogging while the rest of the gang headed over to the Embassy Inn for free drinks and so Andrew and Trevor(employee of Buddy Hale-Deluxe) can pick up chicks  :P

1am-Geoff Peterson takes Johnny's bus out to smoke the hides and git-er-dun  :!:
Sunday 5:38-Yippee! I'm the first one up and didn't have a good sleep....non the less I was probably just to excited to not sleep for another 24hrs :) .Shaved , showered and I'm done.
6:07-Greg's now done---who's next  :?:
6:39-Heather and Devin(not together) are now done showering.
7:15 we headed to the CLASSIC!
10:30-11ish we had and In-and-Out burger.
12:30 we loaded the bus back on the trailer and headed back to the great white north.
1:56-we had our first rest stop at a Chevron with our ETA being 11:56 Monday morning.Right now we're still a little south of L.A.
4:37 and another pee break and rest,snacks etc. Lonehill,Ca. and it's around 2641km to my house.
6:43-Fiebaugh,Ca.and we stopped to gas up and grab a Subway ETA 12:27 monday .
9:40 we gassed up again John is still driving-Dunnigan,Ca.
11:57pm Sun-Heading into the Shastas-ETA 12:20-Pee break and driver change to Andrew.Portland is around 400miles away now.
2:08 we stop in Talent,Or for another pee break and gas up.Lot's of country music out here  :lol:
8:40-and we are 70miles south of Seattle and we hit the rest stop to of course rest but also re-attach the broken trailer fenders.
11:10-Well that didn't work to well  :(
11:20 Monday afternoon-we scoped out a 30min muffler repair shop.John loves this guy 'cause he's sportin the Dr.Pepper shirt. He weld er up and it looks likes it's a go!
11:46- we leave the 30min muffler shop and head back to the I-5....ETA is now 1:34 to the terrminal but we are still in Smokey Point,Seattle area.
12:59-we take a detour to the Duty Free shop for Mila.

1:21-We cleared customs.....they did ask Who Devin was but we didn't ask Devo why they would be asking  :?: ....it was just quiet for awhile  :D ...Our ETA is 1:52
1:59 and it looks like we'll be on the 3pm=COOL :!: ......2110km from the hotel Greg informs us-Holy Cow  :idea:
4:45 and we are just heading down to the lower level to get back in the truck.
5:20pm Monday-we arrived at Andrew's house to drop him off.

.....Thanks so much to all who came.This was my biggest and best show ever.Thanks for letting us (ab)use your truck John and Andrew for booking us in advance.This made it so we we're committed. Devo for your sleeping habits in the truck, Heather for you uncles house and Greg for your patients while we only went 55MPH on the 8hr long stretch..
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 10:36:18 PM by Greg »

Offline hawthorne

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 11:04:44 AM »
that was an awesome weekend, I will be doing the classic again forsure! geoff, thanks for showing us islanders a burnout ;)

Offline Trevor P

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 11:17:43 AM »
Sounds like there was a good crew of Canadians representing down there. Wish I could have made it there again. Next year is a must...maybe with a car this time. ;D
I feel the pain of the snapped axle however  it looks like they picked a better spot for it than we did last year in the 23 window. ::)
'53 Barndoor single cab
'57 Cal-look oval 2332cc / Berg 5
'70 911T

Offline nivag

• Gavin Lee
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 10:34:40 PM »
Well all I can say is that if you have never had a chance to cruise your VW in So Cal, put it on the list of things to do before you die...

Trip down was pretty un eventful. Except a 70ft power slide with truck and trailer towards Gary's ass end in LA rush hour traffic. That and make sure the vehicle in front in the convoy warns those behind a early enough about any lanes ending!

We rolled into hotel Thurs night and already parking lot was full of killer vws.

Friday we spent the day detailing the rain soaked cars to get ready for Nick's. 10 min before departure Gary realises his clutch tube had broken in the tunnel. He and Mcgiver Geoff got it so it would shift and off we went. Geoff met up with us in the Hebrod and the 3 of us rolled into Nicks. Place was packed like I have never seen it! They had save 3 last spots for us and we drove in while crowds watched us. Night was highlight for me - I had dreamed of having a car a DQ/Sonic/Nick's for years. Had better than expected response to the cars. Tons of great comments except one guy who told me he loved the car but hated my wheels - told him to eat shit in a very jokingly way. I think he thought I was seriously insulted as he kept coming back to appologise. Was told later in the eve our cars were actually in the final consideration for the DKP award which was icing on the cake. As well, Stephan from Ultra VW asked to do a photoshoot on the car when he comes up for Great Canadian - I was STOKED to say the least! So then we decided to roll out to In N Out for yet another burger. There were some crazy burnouts happening as people left including a 9second vert almost taking out crowds and roasting tires into 3rd gear... As we backed out all you could hear was hundreds of people cheering you on to light em up(some people chanting co canucks go). And my co pilot Geoff saying "this is one of those times not to wuss out"! So I rolled off the line and then dropped the pedal to the floor well into 3rd gear...

Saturday - Geoff called from OCTO show saying a couple guys were asking to shoot the car. So that aft Super VW(France) and Let's Play VW (Japan) led me to a few locations and shot the car for their magazines.  Later while DVKK members were scamming their way around the whopping $5 entry to the toy show Gary and I rolled the cars on a couple hour cruise to the beach for beers. Had a few opps to let the IDA's open up - sure felt good!

Sat night and the parking lot was a car show on it's own. There were killer rides everywhere and beers flowing. Everyone got word a close by hotel was occupied by a women's water polo tourney and were serving free beer - so suddenly our parking lot was a ghost town. Night went late, even later for some... Boys from Victoria were hilarious and good times.

Sunday - rolled out to show early. There were rows and rows of killer cars and new cars debued. Sun was hot and important to remember to lather the back of the neck next time out! More great conversations, a few deals in to swap. You never know who you are talking to sometimes. Through the day had both Randy Gates and Aaron Broughton tell me the car was very well done. Always great to hear anyone say something nice about your car, but even better when 2 guys that have built some of the nices cars in recent years say good stuff about your build! Gary kicked ass and took home a 3rd lace plaque - out of a line of about 100 cars in his class!

Monday morn left Paul and Geoff fast asleep in hotel. Decided to have some fun - turned the shower head to spray them as they turned water on, turned water line off to toilet, had front desk set wake up calls for every 15 min, and filled door handles with shaving cream - All of which fell on unfortunate Paul - sorry bud was meant for Geoffry!

All in all such a kick ass weekend and look forward to many miles about to be put on the car now... Thanx for your guys help down there helping me with loading, fixing, prepping, cleaning, etc... Gdog& Dianna, Geoff, Paul, Larry, Russ and Rob.

Huge thank you to all those who helped me end this 8year build and super proud of the outcome.
Reb, Geoff, Gary, Lanny, Diana, BruceT, TrevorP, JasonI, Dilley, darrenK, CamS, Russ, JimL, - I am sure there is a bunch more I am forgetting...

I will try to post more show pics and some of the build pics in the forum soon...

See you on the road!

Gavin

Offline nivag

• Gavin Lee
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 10:43:47 PM »
Killer video shot from PCH hwy in Huntington Beach. Anyone able to spot any missed opportunities in this vid 8)
http://picasaweb.google.com/nivageel/Classic200902?authkey=Gv1sRgCNfs5sfu_eGXzAE#5348447070224951058

Stephan Schmidt

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 10:47:25 PM »
I will try to post more show pics and some of the build pics in the forum soon...

See you on the road!

Gavin

Excited to these pictures Gavin!  Sounded like an AWESOME time!

Offline Lanny

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 07:15:05 AM »
It looks like the Mustang chickens out more than G Dog..good times, one of the best Classic weekends in many years. 21 volleyball teams in the hotel lounge..jesus..

Offline buddy boy

• Marked for life
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 08:45:11 AM »
cograts to everyone !,.. wicked pics and vids .

"only dead fish swim with the stream"