Author Topic: kevins going to enjoy a glass of water  (Read 4038 times)

Offline 70's Looker

• More than a 70's Hooker!
  • what's this for?
kevins going to enjoy a glass of water
« on: August 18, 2010, 09:39:08 PM »
so i had owned a very big old mercury car that most of you have all seen, doing the little bit of driving i do it was still a huge pig on fuel so with dumping stupid bucks into my bug it was kinda running tight at the end of the months soooo i had to make a change and find something a tad more gas friendly so i got me a rabbit all the work was done when i bought this car, so im not going to pretend that ive done anything to this car i just bought it and am going to drive the crap outta it, so far the plan is being acheived its a 80 4 door one with a rather odd colour i cant tell if its original or not there is a paint sticker in the glove box calling it manila green super rad colour and everything is painted in it so if its orginal ttotally cool and if not meh its still cool! 1.6 fuel inj. engine and it gets to 80 very well and corner at 70 was told it had coil overs havent really looked but it feels like it so ill run with it! i know it aint air cooled and if anyone has a problem with these pics please let me know i would like to hear it!  :P

Zündfolge Car Club

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Re: kevins going to enjoy a glass of water
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 09:43:31 PM »
I love early MK1s, Put a set of euro bumpers on it, a schrick cam (or other) stress bar and sway bars and thats one great performing car!

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 10:27:29 PM »
heck yeah! That car is awesome.

Ditto Geoff's upgrades.

I would have loved that Mercury...

-Dave
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline mizovalgrl

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 10:42:14 PM »
Yes,it was a steal of a deal.....the girly's are going to be diggin' your new ride :wub: Now you can treat them to a happy meal with the left over gas money you'll have... lol_hitting  :-*

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 10:53:03 PM »
Oh and that model is called an "all door" :P

Offline 70's Looker

• what's this for?
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 07:06:54 AM »
i also like the term "more door" the problem with the hop ups is that there aint much in stuff for a 1.6, so really the only step to take is go to a 1.8 in the future and have a tad bit more fun hurray!
Zündfolge Car Club

Offline vwboop

• Chris & Gina
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 07:11:05 AM »
"more door"

Where the car was forged in the fires of Mt. Doom...........One Rabbit to rule them all??
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:12:31 AM by vwboop »

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 09:53:28 AM »
Welcome to the all door club!! 

I have it's mate in Riyad yellow over here at the north end of the new bridge.  Good news, they are not high on the theft list as no one wants the 4 door.  Bad news - if those are glue on no-drafts, switch to the bolt through glass variety.  A good clenched fist will dislodge those all too fast so don't bother to lock it up. 

Oh, and by the way, if you intend to transport lots of friends in that readily accessible back seat, beware the close proximity of the fuel filler pipe and gas tank breather lines to the inner side of those wide tires.  These things really sag in the back with any rearward weight.

The 1.8 really wakes these things up.  Get the GTI "JH" if you can.  Other complimentary goodies can be had for a few bucks - lots of used stuff around as the watercooled guys are moving up.  CIP1 had a some leftover parts from their "watercooled experiment".  See if you can get a printout of what might be left.  You might be able to catch Chris. I. in a reasonable mood!!

Good luck.

Offline 70's Looker

• what's this for?
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 12:23:42 PM »
cool man! Thanks for the tips! I will totally check out the lines tonite, when i open the fuel cap there is alot of pressure hissing out is that normal?
Zündfolge Car Club

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 12:48:42 PM »
Might be a bit with all the heat especially if you run the tank right down.  The 77, which we still have, did not have a problem.  The 83 was always problematic and I never really did solve the problem completely.  Check the rollover valve under the right rear (upper) wheelwell and make sure the breather lines are not pinched right from the tank up to the vapour cannister (right front fender).

VW Vortex (Mk1 forum) will become your best new friend, after the Bentley and Airspeed of course.

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 02:48:51 PM »
Back in the 90's my buddies and I had those. They are a blast to drive and take a lot of punishment. Looks like its in great shape too!

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 10:27:47 PM »
souper sweet kev!!! she's a beaut. i like it just the way it sits and if i were you i'd roll it and enjoy it as is and spend the moula on your other green vw!!  :D

Offline 70's Looker

• what's this for?
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 09:44:31 AM »
engine is out!  ;D
Zündfolge Car Club

Offline josh

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 09:31:01 PM »
Right on, love me some A1 wabbit ;D same here, me and all my buddies had piles of them growing up I think I was up to 7
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline GRK

• http://
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 11:34:24 PM »
[

The 1.8 really wakes these things up.  Get the GTI "JH" if you can.  Other complimentary goodies can be had for a few bucks - lots of used stuff around as the watercooled guys are moving up.  CIP1 had a some leftover parts from their "watercooled experiment".  See if you can get a printout of what might be left.  You might be able to catch Chris. I. in a reasonable mood!!

Good luck.
[/quote]
My first new car was an 80 GTI Loved it when the motor went I put a bigger Jetta motor in it. My wife reallly misses that car. Going through the Hope Princton in it was a blast! Shift down and peg it in the corners ;D $9,992.92 Brand new @ cross and Norman
Gary