Author Topic: Ac/vc Cruise - June 24th, 2006  (Read 7239 times)

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Ac/vc Cruise - June 24th, 2006
« on: June 02, 2006, 08:34:19 PM »

>COME JOIN YOUR VW FRIENDS FOR A NICE LEISURELY DRIVE FROM CLINTON PARK IN EAST VANCOUVER THROUGH DOWNTOWN VANCOUVER, STANLEY PARK AND ENGLISH BAY, ACROSS THE BURRARD STREET BRIDGE AND PAST KITS BEACH, THROUGH POINT GREY AND ENDING AT SPANISH BANKS.
>CRUISERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO BRING SNACKS/LUNCH (THERE IS A CONCESSION AT SPANISH BANKS), HACKEY SACKS, SOCCER BALLS, FOOTBALLS, BOOKS, BLANKETS, LAWN CHAIRS, ACOUSTIC GUITARS, SUNSCREEN, SWIM GEAR, DOGS, KIDS, AND ANY OTHER ITEM NEEDED TO WASTE A FEW HOURS AT THE BEACH.
>AT APPROXIMATELY 3PM, WE WILL DEPART FROM SPANISH BANKS AND HEAD EAST TO SHANES BBQ.
>ALL AIRCOOLED AND WATERCOOLED VOLKSWAGENS ARE ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND.
>THIS CRUISE WILL BE HELD TO SUPPORT THE DGLVK AND THE WESTCOAST SHOWDOWN 3.

please post here if there are questions regarding this cruise. exact cruise route be posted soon. the more vw's the merrier.  B)  

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 09:41:28 PM »
Props to silas!

Offline James Buchan

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 07:30:17 AM »
Frickin' Eh bub - nice idea!

Offline dannyboy

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 09:55:12 AM »
dope  

Offline silas

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 09:04:51 PM »
details...

- the name of the game is fun. this is a great weekend for the dglvk, the westcoast showdown 3, and all vw afficianados.

- all types of volkswagens are welcome. aircooled, watercooled, new, old, beaters, show cars, trailer queens, hoodrides, ratrods, cal-lookers, resto-lookers, euro lookers, 1/4 milers, nos, turbo, n/a...any and all vw's. the more the merrier.

- because this is city driving, the average speed will be 20mph. we will also be frequenting stoplights, so at times the group may be seperated into seperate packs of cars. we will do our best to stay together.

- tailgating, speeding or reckless driving will absolutely not be tolerated. if anyone is caught doing this, my friend gino will have his boot firmly planted where you dont want it. i'm serious.

here is a link to clinton park...

http://local.google.com/local?f=q&hl=en&q=...008344,0.033302

- meet at 1030am.

- park on slocan street between 1st avenue and grant street.

directions to clinton park are easy no matter where you're coming from.

- from #1 highway take the 1st avenue exit west. head west on 1st ave. slocan street is the second street after renfrew.

- from burnaby head north on boundary. turn left on 1st avenue and head west. slocan street is the second street after renfrew.

- from vancouver head east on 1st avenue. turn left on slocan street. it is the third street after nanaimo.

the cruise will start at 11am sharp.

here is the route...

- west on 1st avenue
- turn right on victoria drive
- turn left on venables street
- venables becomes prior street and then becomes the dunsmuir viaduct
- we will stay in the left hand lane on the viaduct and continue on in the left hand lane when it becomes dunsmuir street
- turn left on hamilton
- turn right on georgia street
- follow georgia street into stanley park
- shortly after entering the park we will either stop or slow to 5 mph in the right lane until everyone catches up
- follow stanley park drive around the park
- exit the park on beach avenue
- beach avenue becomes pacific street
- turn right onto the burrard street bridge
- while on the bridge, stay in the right lane
- turn right off the bridge onto cornwall avenue
- cornwall avenue becomes point grey road
- turn left on alma
- turn right on 4th avenue
- turn right on north west marine drive
- end at spanish banks

- at approximately 3pm we will leave spanish banks and head west on north west marine drive up into ubc
- turn left on chancellor boulevard
- turn right on westbrook mall
- turn left on university boulevard
- university boulevard becomes 10th avenue and then becomes 12th avenue and that will take us directly to the #1 highway that will take us out to shanes bbq

i realize that there are an awfull lot of directions for such a short cruise, but i tried to choose the most direct route with the least amount of wierd sections. i will have a cellphone and i will make sure that if anyone gets lost that they know how to get ahold of me so we can get them back on track.

i have a couple questions for you all.

would it make it easier if each vehicle was provided with a map? would it make it easier if each vehicle had a copy of the directions above? does anyone have any suggestions for improvements or any feedback that they would like to add? is there anyone that would like to help out and take the lead or the tail or the middle to help keep all the vw's headed in the right direction?

i hope alot of people are into this. i know that a huge turnout of vw's would get alot of the city slickers rubber necking.

cheers.

Offline kirin

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 09:13:43 PM »
Good luck with this Silas. Hope you have as good of a turn out as the victoria cruise!
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline Chris W

• Portland Oregon
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 08:26:29 PM »
Thanks for doing this, makes for a nice day for us out of town folks! I will try my best to make it for the start.

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 08:39:57 PM »
This sort of thing will drive a guy nuts.  Last year I'd a been all over this.  Looks like GREAT fun.  Unfortunately I won't be driving ole Waldo down this year.  He has front end issues and I'm devoting as much of my time and money into the doublecab this year.  If I can round up a ride or if Slammed gets his squareback on the road WOOHOO.  If not I'll be the guy sitting on the side of the road in the 4Runner pouting. :(  
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline Pipes

• http://
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 09:44:40 PM »
Sweet! Looks like a good time.  My bug is very nearly roadworthy! If i can put a couple days into it I'll be there!
Trying for low, show & go

1967 Beetle

Offline James Buchan

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 06:01:56 AM »
You'll be cruising in Jason's Square...  ;)  

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 07:47:16 AM »
If i'm cruisin, then Salmon Arm will represent boys.  
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline blarneyman

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 08:14:29 PM »
I have a couple of questions.
1) Should I bring anything for the BBQ (if I'm invited :blush:)
2) Is there a fee for the cruise (see quote)

Hopefully it won't be raining, my wiper motor is on its way out >:(  
www.mbvv.org
My \"new\" 1970 Ghia

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 08:23:10 PM »
I'm missing the whole left hand pivot and I'm coming from Salmon Arm man. No sissies allowed!!!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 08:23:27 PM by slammedbus »
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Matt

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 08:27:15 PM »
I'm missing the whole left hand pivot and I'm coming from Salmon Arm man. No sissies allowed!!!
good thing I can't make it then.......

Offline silas

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 08:55:18 PM »
1) Should I bring anything for the BBQ (if I'm invited :blush:)

as per the constants bbq, i'm pretty sure it's an open invitation, but i am unsure if it is byob or not.

if you would like to bring a bbq on the cruise and set it up at the beach, feel free. there is a concession stand at spanish banks (hot dogs, burgers, pop) or you can pack a lunch in a vintage cooler like i'm going to do.

2) Is there a fee for the cruise?(see quote)

the cruise will cost you fun dollars to attend.  ;)  (it's free in otherwords). by support, i'm pretty much hoping that there will be a good turnout and that it will get people right pumped up for the constants bbq and the westcoastshowdown 3.

Hopefully it won't be raining, my wiper motor is on its way out >:(

the cruise will be held rain or shine.

matt...buddy...throw a for sale sign on the 67 and insure it for the weekend and come on out. rolling advertisement is the way to go.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 08:57:35 PM by silas »

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 09:17:06 PM »
The Bar B Q at my house is an open invitation, and it is BYOB, food is on us... hell I will even throw in some bottled water....
Is the Wok comin???  
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 12:39:21 AM »
The Bar B Q at my house is an open invitation, and it is BYOB, food is on us... hell I will even throw in some bottled water....
Is the Wok comin???
the 'WOK' is watching over 30 little ones on the saturday ,ashleys 6th birthday. so the cruise and bbq are a no go,but that may  depend on how long the dads hang around drinking at my place.
BUT LOOKING FORWARD TO SUNDAY,especially the drive out :D  

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline silas

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 06:16:16 PM »
the 'WOK' is watching over 30 little ones on the saturday ,ashleys 6th birthday.
hey, where's my invitation? if i were there you wouldnt have to hire a clown to entertain the kids. :D

the wok will be missed on the cruise but hopefully you can blast out for the constants bbq jim.

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 06:39:06 PM »
Looks like I better get the Heb Roid all tuned up! Looking forward to this, Thanks Silas.

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 08:35:09 PM »
details...

- the name of the game is fun. this is a great weekend for the dglvk, the westcoast showdown 3, and all vw afficianados.

- all types of volkswagens are welcome. aircooled, watercooled, new, old, beaters, show cars, trailer queens, hoodrides, ratrods, cal-lookers, resto-lookers, euro lookers, 1/4 milers, nos, turbo, n/a...any and all vw's. the more the merrier.

- because this is city driving, the average speed will be 20mph. we will also be frequenting stoplights, so at times the group may be seperated into seperate packs of cars. we will do our best to stay together.

- tailgating, speeding or reckless driving will absolutely not be tolerated. if anyone is caught doing this, my friend gino will have his boot firmly planted where you dont want it. i'm serious.

here is a link to clinton park...

http://local.google.com/local?f=q&hl=en&q=...008344,0.033302

- meet at 1030am.

- park on slocan street between 1st avenue and grant street.

directions to clinton park are easy no matter where you're coming from.

- from #1 highway take the 1st avenue exit west. head west on 1st ave. slocan street is the second street after renfrew.

- from burnaby head north on boundary. turn left on 1st avenue and head west. slocan street is the second street after renfrew.

- from vancouver head east on 1st avenue. turn left on slocan street. it is the third street after nanaimo.

the cruise will start at 11am sharp.

here is the route...

- west on 1st avenue
- turn right on victoria drive
- turn left on venables street
- venables becomes prior street and then becomes the dunsmuir viaduct
- we will stay in the left hand lane on the viaduct and continue on in the left hand lane when it becomes dunsmuir street
- turn left on hamilton
- turn right on georgia street
- follow georgia street into stanley park
- shortly after entering the park we will either stop or slow to 5 mph in the right lane until everyone catches up
- follow stanley park drive around the park
- exit the park on beach avenue
- beach avenue becomes pacific street
- turn right onto the burrard street bridge
- while on the bridge, stay in the right lane
- turn right off the bridge onto cornwall avenue
- cornwall avenue becomes point grey road
- turn left on alma
- turn right on 4th avenue
- turn right on north west marine drive
- end at spanish banks

- at approximately 3pm we will leave spanish banks and head west on north west marine drive up into ubc
- turn left on chancellor boulevard
- turn right on westbrook mall
- turn left on university boulevard
- university boulevard becomes 10th avenue and then becomes 12th avenue and that will take us directly to the #1 highway that will take us out to shanes bbq

i realize that there are an awfull lot of directions for such a short cruise, but i tried to choose the most direct route with the least amount of wierd sections. i will have a cellphone and i will make sure that if anyone gets lost that they know how to get ahold of me so we can get them back on track.

i have a couple questions for you all.

would it make it easier if each vehicle was provided with a map? would it make it easier if each vehicle had a copy of the directions above? does anyone have any suggestions for improvements or any feedback that they would like to add? is there anyone that would like to help out and take the lead or the tail or the middle to help keep all the vw's headed in the right direction?

i hope alot of people are into this. i know that a huge turnout of vw's would get alot of the city slickers rubber necking.

cheers.

I quit smoking in 1982.

After reading this i need a smoke! (get it?)

BE THERE.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 08:37:00 PM by egspot »

Offline silas

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2006, 09:20:18 PM »
Looks like I better get the Heb Roid all tuned up! Looking forward to this, Thanks Silas.
it would be absolutely awesome if you and the heb rod were participants in the cruise.

and that goes for everyone else too! bring out your air and water cooled vw's for a good time cruise & hangout at the beach.  B)  

CHEECH

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2006, 09:27:19 AM »
GOD, let`s hope for some good weather, Can`t wait!!!!!!!!

Hey Silas, you still very attached to your bug bong :D  

Offline silas

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2006, 06:08:18 PM »
GOD, let`s hope for some good weather, Can`t wait!!!!!!!!

Hey Silas, you still very attached to your bug bong :D
allright, type II's representing!!

the bug bong leads a good life and yes i am still fairly attached to it.  B)  

Offline steiner

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2006, 08:40:35 PM »
Holy S*#@! Good luck with trying to keep everybody together! I know with my old VW club it was an issue just driving past WR beach to Langley!
Not that I am negative or anything but you might want to rethink your plan of attack to make it a little more simple :huh:
Good luck! If the cruise was around langley I'd be in but vert has only been driven once and that was today and I'm a little hesitant on bringing the 36r all that way! Sorry! :D  
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 08:43:37 PM by steiner »
1964 21 bus

Offline silas

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2006, 11:48:39 PM »
Holy S*#@! Good luck with trying to keep everybody together! I know with my old VW club it was an issue just driving past WR beach to Langley!
Not that I am negative or anything but you might want to rethink your plan of attack to make it a little more simple :huh:
Good luck! If the cruise was around langley I'd be in but vert has only been driven once and that was today and I'm a little hesitant on bringing the 36r all that way! Sorry! :D
you're a pussy.  :o  ;)

you need to get that 36'er out and stretch her legs.

i am well aware that a route through the city is sure to pose problems with keeping the group together, but i have driven this exact route twice allready and the toughest part is from clinton park to stanley park, and even that is not that tough. after that there are very few stoplights and because of an average speed of 20mph i have a feeling that the group will be able to stay together for a majority of the drive.

so bring your car. langley isnt that far from vancouver. it would be nice to have an early vert in the caravan.  

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2006, 07:57:44 AM »
Your such a sissy,,,,, After we finhsed my vert, we had about 3 hours on it we took it for a 100mile cruise in the states,,,,And your engine was provin....your such a pussy

FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline steiner

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2006, 05:16:41 PM »
Hey man. Last year I built my engine and took it out for the first time to mission for the Coq show drags!I was still tuning the carbs when I got to mission. I'd never even built an engine before let alone an engine with all the works in it! SO up yours :D  
1964 21 bus

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2006, 09:46:35 PM »
Hey man. Last year I built my engine and took it out for the first time to mission for the Coq show drags!I was still tuning the carbs when I got to mission. I'd never even built an engine before let alone an engine with all the works in it! SO up yours :D
still a pussy
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline blarneyman

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2006, 07:55:45 PM »
I shouldn't have to ask, but has enyone looked at the weather report for this weekend? SWEET!!!!!!!!!!! :rockon:  
www.mbvv.org
My \"new\" 1970 Ghia

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2006, 08:47:13 PM »
Weather looks awesome!

Dannyboy has decided to do the cruise and be our official DGLVK Ambassador to the AC/VC Cruise!