Author Topic: Passing Aircare  (Read 2327 times)

Crank

Passing Aircare
« on: May 05, 2006, 10:13:34 PM »
Hey all.

I just bought a set of Brosol/Solex 40mm Dual carbs ...
Starts up, idles, runs rich.
I've set the fuel pressure just below 2psi, disabled the chokes... Until I learn a little more...
Obviously needs tuning...
I want to get the car through aircare, I NEED to drive it asap, I just can't wait anymore.

After calling around a bit, looking for someone to tune my carbs...
I am thinking I am going to have a problem getting it to pass? I was told that these carbs are not at all aircare friendly? The car has passed aircare many times before, just not with these carbs obviously.

I have been playing a bit trying to smooth them out, but I don't feel like waiting until I learn to get it right.
This is the only thing I haven't done myself on the car...
and am wondering who I should take the car to, and what I am looking to spend on tuning them?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Offline Hansk

Passing Aircare
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 12:08:53 AM »
What size motor ? What cam ,heads etc.?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 12:09:39 AM by Hansk »
Big fat black fastback

Offline Bruce

Passing Aircare
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 01:28:56 AM »
I have been playing a bit trying to smooth them out, but I don't feel like waiting until I learn to get it right.

In order for the car to pass, you must have the carbs adjusted right.  Aircare doesn't care if you \"don't feel like waiting\" to learn.

Offline Bubba

Passing Aircare
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 06:11:14 AM »
If you still have the original carb/manifold combination that worked and passed aircare, I would suggest you put those back on so you can take it through.  That will buy you some time while you learn to set your carbs up.  Buy, beg, borrow, or steal a good wideband A/F meter system and that will help a lot.

Otherwise, it is easy to burn 2-4 hours of tuning time at the current rate (60-100/hr) to have someone set them up for you.

If the carbs are not new, there may be wear, leak, or blockage issues that may render them untuneable (for aircare) without major work.

Like anything, the fast, good quality, and cheap rule applies.

Which two do you want?

Csaba
64 Beetle
86 Nissan Multi
81 Rabbit
90 Malibu Euro F3
94 H-D FXDWG

Any country that protects rights of criminals over rights of honest citizens is not worth living in.

Crank

Passing Aircare
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 08:37:10 AM »
Ya I understand that I have to have the carbs adjusted right and \"Aircare doesn't care if I \"don't feel like waiting\" to learn\".
I am trying to learn, but I am getting a little anxious to ride.
I took my daily driver off the road 6 years ago. Bought a 56 shell and have been collecting parts and rebuilding since. Last year I drove it for about 3 days, just for the Westcoast showdown and the Great Canadian. This is my last step and am just getting a little stoked as I am a month behind my schedule , lol. I just miss my bug is all.

As far as the engine, I'll have to dig up the specifics. I bought a 68 bug that had been torched and the engine compartment was fine. Basically bought it for the engine. I have all the paper work, 1776, not sure of the cam and heads, 009 dist/pertronix. From the reciepts I have in storage, the engine has been ported polished and blueprinted. Barely any miles on it, It rides great, smooth and fast. Some of you may remember a purple/blue pearled 68 at the motorsports show 7 or 8, maybe 9 years ago? That's the engine I currently have.

Anyhow, I don't have the old carb/manifold setup that cruised through aircare. When I moved back here from the island they misteriously went missing ... hmmm just that box. Odd.
I do have an OLD set of weber ICTs and linkage, and the brand NEW Brosol/Solex kit. I have a few other carbs around, but most need rebuilding, which I can do... but tune em??? LOL.

So I guess I'll just head into the garage and keep trying ... hmmm, $120 - $200 to have them tuned, which equals 5 - 9 times through aircare... the knowledge and experience will be free.

Thanks for the helpful comments.  

Offline James Buchan

Passing Aircare
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 09:59:13 AM »
Where are you located?

Offline Chris

• Car.
Passing Aircare
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 10:00:48 AM »

In order for the car to pass, you must have the carbs adjusted right.  Aircare doesn't care if you "don't feel like waiting" to learn.
again your ability to point out the obvious facts is astonishing.

Offline dods1600

• http://
Passing Aircare
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 10:27:33 AM »
you could just get a shop to look at it, and when they go over $300 in shop fees you automatically pass aircare.
-T
I drive a fat chick

-Tristan

Offline Bruce

Passing Aircare
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 05:30:45 PM »

In order for the car to pass, you must have the carbs adjusted right.  Aircare doesn't care if you "don't feel like waiting" to learn.
again your ability to point out the obvious facts is astonishing.
Some people have to be told the obvious to get it.  Whining about Aircare won't get a pass.

Offline Chris

• Car.
Passing Aircare
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 05:52:15 PM »
Thats why he posted looking for some advice on where he could take the car to get it tuned.  

Crank

Passing Aircare
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 06:25:06 PM »
Where are you located?
I am located in the South Surrey/White Rock area.

And I also understand that spending $300 in a AIRCARE Qualified shop, gives me a conditional pass for a year. However in the end, I would like the carbs tuned properly.
Funny thing, in the 10 years I have enjoyed playing with my VWs ... I have never had to mess with tuning the carbs, always just worked... lol. But this is the first time I have purchased a new set of carbs.

Thanks again for the helpful posts.

Offline ArsenicPants

• http://
Passing Aircare
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 09:26:20 PM »
they're new and they don't come tuned?
i thought that was standard practice these days?

or are they like tuned for high performance, and not so much good emmisions?
Original SBC Member #16

Offline dannyboy

Passing Aircare
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006, 11:32:01 PM »
most carb kits come with jetting to make the car run ok just about anywhere(usually rich for us at sea level) , they are typically pre set in the factory (just not always that well)
ive gotten stock jetted kads to pass aircare but it was a pain in the ass
i would take a look at the tuning page on lowbugget.com
give that a shot, its got lots of good hints

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
Passing Aircare
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 12:55:34 PM »
Through my experience, getting a car to a stage to pass aircare, doesn't automatically mean it runs ok, it just means it passes emission standards. Usually after the test and a pass, you may have to adjust them to run right!
A little late to be running with studded tires, but that saves you through the dyno test I understand.
Brian
brian waz

Crank

Passing Aircare
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 03:40:15 PM »
FYI,

It was a long process.
Rejetted the carbs, and got to the point that I passed everything except the idle HC's.
I tried a number of different things, including different distributors.
I tried to set up and rejet and old pair of Weber ICT 34's I have around as well.
After failing twice, and having them give me my money back because they could not test my bug twice,
I ended up taking my car to a couple of aircare certified repair facilities to see what they had to say.
The reply I got from 2 out of 3 repair shops was, \"we really only work on OEM vehicles. Any car with modifications we don't really want to touch.\" Ok...
Also I stopped a dark green Ghia that was obviously modified, in front of a repair shop one day. Nice to meet you Red Snapper, (thanks for the suggestions).

Finally decided to move... ;) But I'm on the road.

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Passing Aircare
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 04:38:13 PM »
So have you actually passed yet? or did you do the territory \"Z\" out and say you are moving?
What's your vin#, let's see how you are doing.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
Passing Aircare
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 07:54:11 AM »
Nice to meet you as well Crank. Im no mechanic myself so did you take my advice? Let me know how you made out. See you at the showdown. Brian.