Author Topic: Rat A Tat Tat  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Bug Maniac

• http://
Rat A Tat Tat
« on: April 11, 2006, 11:27:18 AM »
Since I made the trip to the show a couple of weeks ago, the engine on y bug seems to not be running as smoothly as before, I have two problems

First one

There seems to be some sort of leak as the noise when slowing or coming off of the accelarator seems to come through the muffler but not completely, its not as loud as it used to be, I have checked for leaks in and around the muffler, manifold but doesn't seem to be any obvious leaks????

Second one

There seems to be exsessive noise from the rocker area, almost like there is not enough oil to lubricate them, I have checked the oil and its fine, coupled with the other noise problem it's driving me mad, I know this could be a awkward problem to sort out but any advice appreciated!!

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Rat A Tat Tat
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 04:00:26 PM »
hmmm, kinda sounds like a lean misfire.

when was the last time the valves/points/timing were adjusted?  

i'd start there. on a stone cold engine, adjust the valves to .006\".

then adjust your point gap to .016\".

then fire it up and make sure your timing is dead on.

then manually rap the throttle to wot and let it go and see what happens.

then take your air cleaner off, put on some safety glasses, and manually rap the throttle to wot and let it go and see if the throttle plate fully closes.

then thoroughly re-check for exhaust leaks at all the header and muffler connection points. carefully use your hand or grab a small (3\"x3\") peice of paper and watch for flapping.

then grab some carb cleaner and spray around where the carb meets the manifold and where the manifold meets the head and listen to hear if the engine rpm changes.

then turn your idle adjustment and bypass screw a hair to richen up the mixture.

then manually rap the throttle to wot and let it go and see what happens.

if it's still there, it could be coil related or possibly a burnt exhaust valve.

if i'm off on any point here, someone please step up and correct it. i'm just thinking out loud.  ;)

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Rat A Tat Tat
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 09:27:31 PM »
All the issues I thought of Silas and then some, My question Bugmaniac is do you have a vert decklid? If your engine is a dualport I've seen corrosion happen between the head flange and the intake manifold due to rain getting in. Made for a lean mixture on one cylinder and burnt a valve. Although didn't make for a funny sounding engine, just low compression on one cyl. and a smog fail.

Your's sounds more like an exhaust leak.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS