Author Topic: My New Ride  (Read 5061 times)

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
My New Ride
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2007, 12:15:52 PM »
imho, it's all about driveability and a complete car.

So what is Jim's car then?

I would call that race then?
good point. i'll have to make an exception  ;) . allthough jims car has lexan & fiberglass, he made sure to build it so it could be very streetable. and it is. highway driving and city driving is very easy in that car. josh even said that his car was built for the track. sure it could be made to be more streetable, but it was built for the track.

Dood who cares... If he insures it for the street it is a ctreet car, If he only races it like darren does the oval then it is a race,,,
i dont agree. just because you can insure it, doesnt mean it's a street car. didnt darren fix the oval so it could be insured for the street? but how streetable is that car?

You can debate this till your blue in the Face Silas,,, all I know is that if I bought it , It would have been a fricken fast street car...
i could debate this until i was blue in the face, but it's not worth it. it's only a matter of opinion. and everyone has a right to one.

bottom line is, it's an awesome car and josh has a sweet brand new (to him) ride to call his own. B)  

Offline Chris

• Car.
My New Ride
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2007, 01:53:07 PM »
My scooter is fast, sorta.

Offline AirCooledRules

My New Ride
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2007, 04:46:53 PM »
Race cars are gererally not as detailed as street cars (ussually), because your not trying to impress any judges on the track and your not going to be polishing every bit of the car everytime you make a run.

As far as what i consider a race car, is a car that is primarily set-up for the track. Not all race cars have lexan windows, alot of street cars use light wieght composites and aluminum. Porsches 911 RS America came with no radio, no ac, no rear seats, no sunroof, NO DOOR HANDLES on the inside, just pull straps and its as much a street car as any.

If your car needs to be trailered to mission because it cant hack the 25-30kms drive then its a race car =).
1960 Volkswagen Beetle

1975 Honda CB125S
1983 Audi UR-Quattro
1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI
1998 Audi A6

Matt

My New Ride
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2007, 06:03:05 PM »
Whew!

There it is, Vancouvers very own VW Guru has spoken. Thanks for clearing up the confusion.

Offline Mike Scott

My New Ride
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2007, 06:22:03 PM »
Why do his posts make me so mad?

Josh,  that car is awesome and it sounds like youre gonna make it even better!!!! :rockon:  

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
My New Ride
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2007, 07:17:07 AM »
Bad ass!!!!!!!  :rockon:  

Offline josh

My New Ride
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2007, 03:59:51 PM »
holy shit look at all the action I missed while out in the garage.
This car WAS set up for the strip, but it is also very detailed, not like darren's oval but definatly above most race car standards. The paint is awsome, pan is powder coated, it has all brand new wolfsberg west rubber, running boards, stainless trim, wiring harness so on and soforth.

My plan is to make it more streetable by changing the gear stack (I don't have the exact ratios yet but he said you can't get much tighter :wacko:) think I might try and drive it with the spool, but change the solid mounts. Full stock interior and carpet is in order, those seats make it feel like someone is giving me a serious bear hug to the ribs......Anyone have a set of oval lowbacks and rear? just frames and springs are fine, i'm thinkin tan seats with oatmeal carpet.

As for motor i'm gonna drop the comp on the 2332 and run it with the IDA's and comp eliminators this year, cause the turbo and header I built for my other car is a little small for this monster ( T3 and 1 1/2 header :angry:)

stay tuned and be nice to each other now

josh

55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
My New Ride
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2007, 06:52:28 PM »
Josh, I drove teh Hulk for 4 years with a spool... just stay out of the rain.. ;)
Talk to TJ if you want to turbo he may have the set up for you

FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline josh

My New Ride
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2007, 08:18:52 PM »
yeah in high school my buddy had a 10 second valiant with a spool, the slow speed chirpies around corner make people look at you kinda funny.

55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline amishrabbi

• http://
My New Ride
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2007, 08:33:24 PM »
that mean the turbo system can be throw into a deal for the 63  :D  
1963 Beetle, 2017cc Stroker

Offline Lanny

My New Ride
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2007, 08:36:40 PM »
Dropping the compression might be a bit of a task, those chambers will be pretty small. K-Roc is the man to ask. Go 5 speed and leave that tight stack.. :D  Great car, congrats.

Offline josh

My New Ride
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2007, 11:37:54 PM »
we could see about that
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Art Gumpfer

• http://www.artgumpfer.com
My New Ride
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2007, 11:59:45 PM »
Very nice car. Hard to believe Jeff sold it. I'm with Lanny on the tight gear stack and a 5 speed. With the big IDA's of course!!  
Art Gumpfer Racing

Offline josh

My New Ride
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2007, 07:54:29 AM »
I haven't cc'd them yet but jeff seemed to remember them being around 50. they had a .060\" copper gasket, couldn't I just shim em up a bit more? to drop it to around 9.2-9.5
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline jeff lovell

My New Ride
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2007, 12:59:13 PM »
a little less then i thought. 40.4 cc . Don't worry about it. run them with what ever deck it takes. Don't out think it with internet hype. It will make more of a diffrence on the tune up you give it then anything else. Put it together, get it up on the two step and dump the the clutch and drive it like you stole it.  :mullet:

race car / street car ha ha ha thats funny stuff.  I myself think its a street car that you can also race and win with .

Offline Darren

My New Ride
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2007, 01:01:13 PM »
Dropping the compression might be a bit of a task, those chambers will be pretty small. K-Roc is the man to ask. Go 5 speed and leave that tight stack.. :D  Great car, congrats.
5 speeds are expensive trannies to blow up drag racing ain't they Lanny....... :o

I'd leave it the way it is and Run it N/A as it was a very good combo.

N/A will be more streetable in the long run.

Offline Darren

My New Ride
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2007, 01:02:28 PM »
a little less then i thought. 40.4 cc . Don't worry about it. run them with what ever deck it takes. Don't out think it with internet hype. It will make more of a diffrence on the tune up you give it then anything else. Put it together, get it up on the two step and dump the the clutch and drive it like you stole it.  :mullet:

race car / street car ha ha ha thats funny stuff.  I myself think its a street car that you can also race and win with .
Yup a lot of deck on a Turbo is no problem at all.

Offline jeff lovell

My New Ride
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2007, 01:58:15 PM »
put in .140 deck will come out around 9.5 comp. 40.4 cc in the heads at least 4 cc in pistons is what you have , need to recheck cc in pistons if you really care . Add some timing into it and it will rip anything up in the street you come across. :rockon:  make sure to hook up the head temp gauge  :rolleyes: .  With the 3.88 r/p 4.25 2.54 1.54 1.37 . Hang on !!!!  Darren and others know there stuff .

I had a 1914cc once with no chambers in the heads. Needed to add a ton of deck to get the compression down. I thought for sure it would suck and run like crap and not make the power it should. Well it did'nt. ran stronger then others i ran with. Thrashed that engine and still running last i herd. Tight deck is by far the better way of going but it is not going to keep it from hauling ass and making good power.

Offline josh

My New Ride
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2007, 02:10:59 PM »
aaaaaaaaaaah this is gonna be fun :D  
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2