Author Topic: the vw that got you hooked on vw's...  (Read 9005 times)

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
the vw that got you hooked on vw's...
« on: November 13, 2008, 11:34:03 PM »
the "too late for this one" thread about cool old rusting vws reminded me of my first car and how i got into vw's.

so let's here the stories and see the pics of how/why/what car got you into vw's!!!

i'll start...

"the lil drop of honey"

my first car was a 71 super beetle. this car was handed down from my mom to my sister and eventually to me. i learned to drive in this car at the age of 13 (there were no cops on denman island  :o) and it got me all over the place. it was my first car to ever take cruising, i could haul my whole drum kit around in it (oversized vintage rogers kit with all the hardware), it took me and my friend sean on our first solo trip to "the big city" (vancouver) to see our first "big rock concert" (dire straits), and it was reliable as all hell (except when it broke down on my way to grad). it was a summer party machine and a winter warrior. it was frequently used for trips around the island and could handle any trail, mud bog, sand pit, and offroad adventure i could throw at it. i could fishtail this beast on miles & miles of dirt road at a time. i would beat the living piss out of this car and it would just keep taking it. airborn? no problem!! some fond memories include spinning 360 degrees in the snow and landing tail first in a deep snow and mud packed ditch so the whole rear of the car was buried from the rear apron to the b pillar...only to power out of it effortlessly. hit a fallen tree on a trail and knock out a headlight and push the front fender into the wheel..no problem...manually pull the fender out and continue on with one light.

anywho...on one particular late summers eve in

Offline RoadRunner

Re: the vw that got you hooked on vw's...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 11:43:03 PM »
Wow Silas :'(
if only this car knew how it was eulogized!

Amazing memories, and great pics!
Erin
If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad.

Offline vwboop

• Chris & Gina
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 08:28:48 AM »
Abraham was my first bus. 75 Westy. Took it to Mexico twice, Lake Louise, Cannon Beach, Tofino. How could I not get hooked :) The (six leg) middle seat from my second bus (55 deluxe) is in the back. Member that one Hans ;D (Hans owned it before me). I'm in the luggage rack on the right.

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 08:35:17 AM »
on one particular late summers eve in
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 10:24:35 AM »
Chris, I LOVE you man!!!!
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline madfrog

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 01:17:15 PM »
A lime green 1303 convertible , my first car ...

Bought used in 1978 and kept for 12 years , one of the best ride I ever had,  covering more than 130 K miles  without missing a beat.

(the front wheel is fine it is just a distortion as it is a photo of a photo)  ;D

madfrog

Moderation, even in moderation

Offline OUTKAST

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 04:18:53 PM »
Lawrence mings Yellow oval lowered with spun discs Sorry no photo So my frist car was a 67 standard beetle

1986 I see shawn , snapper ,grocott ,Jeff sprauge ,peirce Big chris

Fell in love with buses and got my firt one next year lowered dual sunroofs

The one I should never have sold

Another 8 or 10 differet models and the current ride 22 years later

Great thread Silas and good story

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 04:59:27 PM »
The year was 1973. I used to pass by a house that had this 1962 blue bug with no fenders on four wheels. One day I knocked on the door and ask if it was for sale. The fellow sold it as it was for $100.00 ( Shelby was 4,000.00 brand new at the time.) The car actually was under someone else name and being 17 years old at the time, there was a chance that I would not be able to put it under my name. Well, I was young and had the World by the B___s (rimes with halls) with my very big C_____s (rimes with calsones) So, I tracked the guy on the registration and walked into a Notary Public and got it transfered.

That was the easy part as now, I was about to figure out how to install brakes, figure out the lights and fire-up my 1200ccs of raw power. I remember my brother in law pumping the brakes as I (shirtless) pushed my self on top of brake fluid garage floor, from the far rear right tire to the rest of them wile trying to blead them. I Remember cutting class and getting two of my buds and six girls in the car for a trip to the beach in Puerto Rico. It seem at the time that my mission was to collect parts for future plans.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 05:06:10 PM by egspot »

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 08:13:34 PM »
Great pic Eggman. Looks like your only running 3 lug nuts there. Must be Puerto Rico style.  O0 <(This guy kind of looks like you.)
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline orangecrush

• Rob McLatchy
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 09:08:34 PM »

This is what we did grad week of 1983 8)
1957 dune buggy
2002 beetle
Sunset Buggy Club

Offline orangecrush

• Rob McLatchy
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 09:17:40 PM »

My 1963 Bug that I drove to school in 1983 ;D
1957 dune buggy
2002 beetle
Sunset Buggy Club

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 09:38:14 PM »
Good story Silas!

I don't remember when I first fell in love with Beetles, but I the first thing I ever drew with a crayon was a "herbie". Amazingly, you can actually tell my blob was a bug! So yeah, I guess I was won over early.

The first VW I remember was the '75 beetle my dad prepped for my mom to drive to University. I think I was 5 when it showed up at the cottage, all freshly painted in it's mazda-blue paint.  I can remember a Toronto winter where our job was to scrape the frost off the inside of the windows, but mostly I remember the summers at the cottage after it was no longer licensed. We used to run to the general store, riding in the luggage area or on dad's lap steering. 'volki rides', as there were known, were always a highlight of the cottage. When I was 10 Dad asked me to help repair the car with him. The fuel lines were getting replaced, and my skinny little arms were perfect for reaching up inside the tunnel. I don't remember much about the actual steps for doing the job, but I do remember the feeling of getting asked to work alongside dad and help him out.

When I was 13, Dad fired up the bug and moved it out of the garage. This wasn't uncommon, we packed a lot of projects into that two-bay garage. If you wanted to work on one, you moved the others out. That particular day, however, was different. Dad had the bug idling and asked me if I wanted to drive. "Do I!?!" I learned how to drive Stick that summer, only ever into 3rd gear on that 2km cottage road...but considering I was driving unlicensed and uninsured, it was incredible!

Over the years, for as long as I can remember actually, there were suggestions made that the car should be sold. Sold to make space, sold to get something more practical...sold because I wasn't using it. I dug my heels in each time, and with the support from mom...the car stayed.

When I turned 16 I actually didn't license the bug. By that point I was pretty heavy into mountain biking, and I was racing snowboarding. In Ontario, you don't drive a car you car about through the salt-infested roads! I drove a VW rabbit, a Honda Civic and then later bought an Audi 90 quattro. With that I got into rally racing, and the bug was an 'in the future' sort of thought. When I was 22 or 23 I crashed the rally car (which was also my daily driver) into the woods pretty hard and basically wrote it off. Having a full-time job meant I needed a car, and the fastest option was to license the Beetle. I finally got to drive the bug as 'my car' for a summer, but it nearly ended in volkswagen carnage right before winter. I don't think I was paying attention, and traffic on the highway was suddenly stopping in front of me. I hit the brakes hard, and swerved, but still tagged the girl in front of me. She was in a brand new honda, and I smoked her bumper enough that it was going need some significant repairs. She must have seen the look on my face when I walked to the front of my bug, because she told me not to worry about it...my car was obviously far more important then hers.

The car was stored for the winter, rallying began again, and well...the years went by. I've moved out west, bought another bug and still my poor '75 sits in Ontario storage.

I am ->THIS<- close to getting the car over to the west coast. Next weekend is Tall Pines rally, and Pat Richard will tow my bug back to B.C. if I can get it to the finish of the rally. Dad's pulling it out of storage, and I'm desperately to try and find someone who can tow it to the rally. I'm finally in the financial position to be able to keep it on the road, do the repairs and restoration it needs and enjoy the crap out of it!

So there we go, with luck, I'll bring the first car I remember, the first car I worked on and the car I learned to drive on to GCVW this summer!

-Dave

p.s. ironically, I have no photos of it. How is that possible!?!

*Edit* Photos now up! http://airspeedparts.com/online-community/index.php?topic=14610.0
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 04:36:47 PM by owdlvr »
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline surgerypending

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 09:53:27 PM »
Well, I don't have a pic of the car that started it all..it wasn't mine. A friend of mine back east (about 1990) had a 68 beetle...nothing fancy but I thought it was a pretty unique little car. Anyway I had to have one. I came to vancouver in 1993 and stayed with my brother for a month....I needed a car to drive so I bought a 74 std beetle. At the end of the month I drove that car all the way back to St.John's and restored it. In 1994 I bought a 77 convertable ( yes...I loved a fat chic) and restored it. Anyway, from there the list grew out of controll but those where two cars that kinna got me hooked.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=497164
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=497163
Both of those cars are still alive back in St.John's. The 74 now has a white cove on the side and the 77 vert was used in one of the Great Big Sea videos where the load of nuns are driving around Signal Hill.
Gerry
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 10:03:10 PM by surgerypending »
Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 04:47:32 PM »
wow!!! those are great stories & pics from everyone. i love it!!!

let's hear some more!!

Offline dods1600

• http://
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 05:03:49 PM »
Alrighty, my first beetle was a 74 super, the shell on it was in beautiful shape... everything else was an absolute disaster
-The engine ran barely
-the heater channels were basically paper
-the floors had real holes in them
-and the brakes didnt work
But being 15 and living in Port Alberni I thought it was a great idea to drive it around the block :P

I thought that was the greatest car ever made... and the thing that gave me the bug (pun intended) was the herbie the love bug with bruce cameron, lol.

I dont have any pics, but i did a painting of it years ago, there are pics but they are hidden somewhere at my parents

I drive a fat chick

-Tristan

Offline vwshawn

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 08:49:08 PM »
The car that got me hooked on VW`s was an red oval window owned by Frank Graf, Hans K would know the car, after that I have owned many VW`s,  Red Snapper and Outcast would probably remember, here is the list in ownership:

There was also alot of cars in Thunderbugs that I liked, Hans K Fastback-Blue, Mike Waltz Beetle, Marcus Beetle, Cameron Shorey-Fritz the car,when it was red, Cam please comment on this one, Corey Dahl`s oval etc
72 Beetle (RED)
71 Super Beetle (This car was orange and got stolen)
73 Beetle (Yellow) car had black nerf bars
70 Beetle that was a porsche color
66 Beetle, white (Dwayne, you would remember this car, as it was owned by Cliff
74 Beetle (cal-look with Graffics)  That was the style, RED Snapper Remembers this one

67 Red Beetle-Should have not sold this car!
69 Beetle-painted peach,slammed with Sport Bug Rims
65 Beetle that I am currently restoring to stock
Thanks,
Shawn

Offline VW 144th

• Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 10:13:46 PM »
Ive gotta agree with you on one of your faves Shawn,Frank Graf`s red 55 oval sunroof,I got to ride down with him and the Thunderbugs one year down to the North west bug in ,back when i was 14yrs old .That was it ,road trip,cool cal bugs cruising a row ,tons of attention from all the on lookers,getting to the meet and watching Gene Berg run his black 67 with the brm's, the Sonic muffin,mac attack.
After that weekend i was a lifer....

Also must make a honerable mention to Joe Sotet's red 70 Ghia,he lived down the street from me and i had wo walk by that car every day on the way home from school(It was like i was being programmed) MUST HAVE....

It also didnt help me that Hans lived up the street multi color fast back (Pre the blue car).

Not to mention our next door neigbors Greg (lime green 57 oval )and Bernie (73 superbeetle 1776) Hoing.

Cory Dole,lived a few blocks away(73 sport bug 1776)and so did Mike Gorden

But the # 1 car and influence goes to my older brother Reese, He had a 63 notchback that everyone in the neigborhood use to come by our home and help work on it(I was the official undercoat chipper offer/remover). It took years in the garage to complete,but when it fired up and was road ready ,i was elated for my bro.

I knew then didn't need fight what was mean't to be..

Jason Evans
  vw lifer

P.S. Ive owned a few over the years to...
88 syncro doka
70 bug
62 bug

Offline vwshawn

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 10:44:13 PM »
Hi Jason,
Yes, that totally brings back memories.  I remember the Bug In's with the Berg Car, even got to meet Gene in 1987!
There was also a guy that lived in Delta, I think his name was Darrell that had a red 67 convert with Porsche Alloys and a black oval window.
Good to see that you are still into Vdubs.
Shawn
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 11:10:49 AM by vwshawn »

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 06:43:56 AM »
The car that got me hooked was Shawns 74 with some wild candy graphics. I must have been 14 at the time and thought that car was the cats ass!
There was also a guy who lived up the street from me with a 61 beetle that was slammed. His name was Morton Labo. He eventually had a nice green 73 super beetle with empis that was slightly lowered. And there was a clown that lived up the street from me by the name of Mike Gordon.  ;)

Offline vwshawn

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 10:38:50 AM »
LOL-Thats a pretty good one about the clown thing, better watch out for the karma thing!
Shawn

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 03:31:49 PM »
Since I really have no one else to report this too...I figured here was better then anywhere.

It's confirmed! I'll have photos of my '75 available soon...he's coming out west to live with me!

-Dave
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline Bruce

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 07:33:33 PM »
....,Frank Graf`s red 55 oval sunroof,...
I remember that car as being orange.  Was it kinda orange/red?
My memory also says it had a narrowed front beam in about 1984-5.  Is that right?  If so, it's gotta be the first ever.

Offline GL-Sheila

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 08:47:18 PM »
Growing up, the next door neighbours had a Kombi - we kids used to pile on in (no seats or anything) and get driven around. 

After getting my license, I couldn't wait to get my first car, but being a student, never managed to save enough.  I was hoping for some old beater - of course, a bug or an old honda civic was my ideal.  One day when I got home, the cutest little car was sitting outside.  My uncle asked me if I wanted to take it for a drive.  (Hell yeah!)  I'd never seen (or noticed this kind of car before) but instantly fell in love.  When we got back, he told me it was for me.  I was soo excited.  He'd also cleared out the old shed out back for a garage.  As I was driving it in for the very first time, I totally crunched the driver's door on the side of the garage (tight turn).  Damn!!! - other than that, my white '71 notchback was perfect!  (He'd also picked up a rolling shell of a '74 fastback for spares).  That car served me several years while going to university.  Of course it had many idiosyncracies - popping out of gear going down hill, and most notibly, because it was right-hand drive, the accelerator cable passed under the passenger footwell and whomever was seated in the passenger side could control the acceleration of the car!  (Took us a few times to figure that one out).  Anyhow, I sold the car to move to Canada, then when I went home again for a year in '97, I bought another notchback (see picture).  That car got sold to a friend of mine who now does rallies with it.

Now, after 10 years, we finally get my dream car - Karmann Ghia and now, recently, a superbeetle.  I wouldn't mind a notchback again though....
My other entrance is a porch.

Offline vwshawn

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 09:13:26 PM »
Yes, that was some time ago.
Hans K would know this about Franks old car.
Shawn

Offline vwshawn

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 09:15:51 PM »
Dwayne and Darren Dilley,
Looking forward to your stories.

I remember the blue convertible, and the black lowered beetle!

Offline vwshawn

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 09:19:08 PM »
Where should I begin, I remember back in the 80's HansK Had a shop off of Scott Rd.in Surrey, there were some cool cars I remember and always lots of parts there.  Frank Graff had his cool oval window, and I remember a guy named Darren that had a blue sunroof beetle that he used to show alot.  HansK-you probably also remember Greg , that had a Orange 71 super beetle that was a show car (I think it was Slyvesters)Later Greg had a gorgeous Green oval that Dwayne Farmer bought.  I remember driving past Darrel's house and seeing a black oval and a red vert slammed with Porsche Alloys.

For shops in the Delta Area, there was Europeon Auto (Vic) that painted many of the cars-Cal-Look Stuff and did performance engines.  Not to mention, Ed at the Bug Shop, and Corey Dahl who used to own a real clean Black Oval,that was a drag car (Now Corey runs a shop in Port Kells,but does not work on VW's anymore.

I remember when Cal Imports was in a lane next to a Performance Engineering Shop in New Westminster when Steve Stanbridge had the Race Car(dark blue) before it turned into Weird Science, and I remember the cal-look 63 sunroof i think-that had 73 fenders on it.

Darren K (Kroc) worked there, along with Clarence.
Cal Imports later moved into a new location, behind A&W off of Kingsway, Lanny used to work there behind the counter, with a guy with long hair (Jim) anyone remember.  Also Greg who I think was the Manager there.

I remember Darren K had a cool black cal-look bug with alloys that I think was sold to Steve's dad.  Thunderbugs did a show and shine in central park-burnaby, where i remember Fritz the car! it was red with a big mill in there.  Also, Markus had a green late model with a big mill too.
Not to mention Rene and Carol Lord, orange Late Model, and van, Roy, Rudy (Fast Rabbit)
This is going a long way back, also , Walt Kaiser Jr's Blue Notch that I detailed for him.
Mark Wisheart 59 and then Dwayne's old 79 Vert lowered!

Hans K-you remember Reese, Mike Walz, Brett Walker and his toys.  I also remember Randy Gadios(not sure of the spelling that had a real clean two-toned bus!

In HansK garage, was my old oval in primer who once belonged to Greg H-later sold to Mike Gordon.  This car was in Primer with Painted Fenderwalls.  The pan was sold to Paul Jones that he used for his drag chopped beetle (X-Mike Hornak's Car)

Going to the Thunderbugs meetings off of Kingsway were great , and also meeting Marty,Mike Grocott, Lawerence Ming, Jeff Boylan (who painted my low 69-peach/piink were great people.
Not to mention Shane Marriot.

Flossin, yes I do remember your Ghia, as well as the vert-before it became a magazine car, do you ever see Kelly? or Jason? or Ted)-Remember Bigsbys off of Commercial Drive-you were always in the Sandblasting booth!

And yes, there was Mike Gordon's shop in Langley, the fondest memories are when his dad opened up his house to have a show and shine there in the driveway!  Brian-you remember that!

I remember all the VW's that Mike and Marty and Brian had.
Brian,ever remember the drag car that we bought together?

Lawerence, Brian, Jeff, Rob Sterk (who owned Jeff's green car) Stephan, On-Zoom (Chris)-the guy that had a grey notch. I found him once on www.vwdov.ca.  Dwayne Farmer, Rob Algard, Pierce Owen, Ken Smith,Mike Hornak were all part of the V-Dub thing-Remember going cruisin in White Rock or down to bellingham etc-all good times!!

I could ramble on but, I will come to a close.  I will see if I can dig up some old pics.
Post some more stories like this
Shawn   

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 08:37:58 AM »
My inspiration came from my parents. Mom had a 69 semi auto hard top. Dad had a 76 convertible. So I guess I came by it honestly
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline KOOL-AID MAN

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 04:05:48 PM »
Ever since i first saw this as a kid, I've loved vws........

My first car was a 73 super that i bought for 400 bux, it was light purple, I did quite a bit of work to it but the car was very rotten, I sprayed it with dark green spray paint from canadian tire, only took about 12 cans.

Offline Randy

• Formerly Tikitime
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »
Mid 60's, traded an 8-track player and 12 tapes for this, minus engine:

After a couple of years work, this is what I created:

Had Tony Hill build an engine when he was at Westminster VW.
Spent a lot of time cruising the A&W and Dog 'N Suds, turned a lot of heads.

Late 60's I had to sell it for money for college.

Last seen several years later parked in front of an auto wrecker on Scott Rd. in poor shape, with an note saying the wreckers could do with it what they wanted. Damn, I wished I had a towbar then, I would have grabbed it and started over again!
But that's OK, I now have two others in the garage!
Randy
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 03:45:30 PM by tikitime »