Author Topic: Saftey Inspection  (Read 2502 times)

Offline tanman

• http://
Saftey Inspection
« on: March 08, 2006, 04:30:48 PM »
hey im trying to get my restored (not fully finished, you know how it goes) 67 bug registered. because it was a \"salvage\" vehicle, it needs to have a saftey inspection before i can insure it. i dont really want to have to pay for a bunch of tows, so im wondering if anyone knows a place that does the inspection AND repairs neccesary to pass?

so like, if it needs something to pass, i dont want to have to tow it somewhere and then tow it back to get it re-tested. you guys know of a place that does both?

right now its at dales getting a ton of front end work done, but he doesnt do saftey tests.

and i cant put day insuranse on it, or even an A to B until its passed the test, because its a salvage vehicle.

thanks!!
tanner

Offline jonny

Saftey Inspection
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 06:04:13 PM »
Have you had the structural inspection done on your vehicle? Salvage vehicles will require a structural first then a govt. safety. I have done several rebuilders in the past for my old work and a couple for myself. PM me and I will give you some contacts for a mobile structural inspector and a Govt. safety inspector i know who is on the same street as Dales. May take me a day or two to track down the no.s.
Good luck either way.
Jon.

Offline jonny

Saftey Inspection
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 08:09:22 PM »
The people you want to contact are:
-for structural inspections - West Coast Rebuilders ask for Bert Bathe 604 328 1225. thes guys are mobile and will come to you. Cost is usually around $50.

-for govt. safety inspections - Service dept at Springman Saturn of Langley of Langley 604 530 2886 (Jeff Wiesgerber) 19550 Langley Bypass.

I used to work for Springman's so i know there are two tech's that do inspections one of them is a good friend of mine. When you make your appointment let me know when it is and i will contact my friend to let him know you are coming. That way he can make sure that he gets the job and can help you along a little.
I am not saying thet he will overlook any serious safety issues it is just that some of those guys can be a littl harsh on their inspections and it is nice to know someone on the inside.

Before you go too far with this vehicle I would make some phone calls either to an insurance broker or ICBC
to check if this vehicle can actually go back on the road. The reason why I say this is because you use the word \"salvage\" in your post. Write off vehicles are typically sold in damaged condition one of two ways as \"rebuilable\" or \"dismantle only\". Dismantle only is just that and can never go back on the road. The word \"salvage\" makes me wonder a bit.

Hope this helps you out. Say Hi to Dale and the boys from Jon at Springman's (formerly) for me.
Good luck Jon.

Offline tanman

Saftey Inspection
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 04:03:33 PM »
that is awesome. thanks a lot jon. i will call those mobile guys, and i'll PM you a day or 2 before i do the saftey inspection... that would be killer. and yea i have checked with ICBC its fine. it was like, just the body was bought and redone and then everything replaced. so i just have to do these 2 checks and once it passes they will change it to \"re-built\" and i can insure it. virtually the whole front end is being replaced right now, and theres been a lot of work on it. the only thing i can think of that would fail is that my turn signals dont work.

does your buddy fix the things that are wrong]? or would i have to tow it somewhere to get them fixed
thanks
tanner

Offline jonny

Saftey Inspection
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 05:05:31 PM »
Anything that can't be fixed by the guys and gals at Springman's can be done at Duane's VW around the corner in behind IHOP. If you are careful you can probably drive your car down the back street from Dale's to the back lot at Springman's. I may know of a dude (and a damn cool one at that) who has done this a few times.  ;)
Good Luck!

Offline tanman

Saftey Inspection
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 07:33:21 PM »
that sounds like a plan. i hate paying towing fees. maybe i'll just go carefull at night or something, or push it if its that close - thanks i'll let you know before i book an appt. that would be killer if you could get your buddy to look at it
tanner

Offline rustybus

Saftey Inspection
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 09:05:04 PM »
I have a tow bar you can borrow :rolleyes:  

Offline tanman

Saftey Inspection
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 05:36:52 PM »
that would be rad...  but this is my only car right now so i cant even do that... ha! thanks though!
tanner