Author Topic: Rear Axle Seals  (Read 1546 times)

Offline OUTKAST

Rear Axle Seals
« on: June 04, 2005, 09:13:13 AM »
Help have the articles and diagrams but wich way does the 2 lipped larrge seal press into the bearing cover and does it go all the way in  :huh: reduction boxes were leaking bad replaced seals twice tore cut and wrecked large seal twice seating it flat side down put it in flat side up now it don't leak but it looked wrong . Any Ideas
THank s OUTKAST  

Offline Splinter

• 64 Van Restoration
Rear Axle Seals
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 01:36:05 PM »
I just took my trans apart today, it's a '64 bus, and on mine there are just regular seals in the bearing covers that can only go one way. They are not pressed all the way in, just past the radius on the inside of the cover. There is about a 1/4\" gap between the outide of the seal and the lip on the outside of the cover.
-= 1964 Bus =-

Offline epic3

• http://
Rear Axle Seals
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 11:50:28 PM »
Not to jack your thread but it is similar question I just drained the reduction boxes on my buggy and replaced the gear oil in them and filled it up all the way on one and almost all the way on the other the one that I filled up all the way leaked a little out right after so is that normal or is it supposed to be all the way up to the filler plug

Offline Splinter

• 64 Van Restoration
Rear Axle Seals
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 05:42:39 PM »
All 2 oil plug systems (drain/fill) are meant to be filled up to the bottom edge of the top plug hole, so it sounds like you might have stuffed a little extra in there. Just pull out the top plug and wait till it stops coming out... and you're set.
-= 1964 Bus =-

Offline Hansk

Rear Axle Seals
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 06:53:04 PM »
Outkast , I know this is a little late now but I think you have the seals in the wrong way.  If you end up changing them again here's what I do.  That axle spacer or collar that the seal actually rides on and seals to , the one you must take off to replace the o ring and tin plate behind it.  When you replace the new tin plate and o ring DON'T slip that collar back on.Instead, with a little oil carefully place the collar in the new large seal in the cover. Make sure it's the right way around ( inside chamfer meets the o ring).  Then take the whole cover, seal and collar assembly and slip it over the axle as a unit.  This way you wont kink the large seal over trying to get it over the collar and axle later .
BTW the large seal should bottom out on a shoulder inside the cover.  (Still looks like it's not all the way down from the outside.)
Big fat black fastback