Author Topic: Country Of Choice  (Read 5600 times)

Offline el_flechador

Country Of Choice
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2006, 08:42:36 PM »
Iam someone who left England to try and find a better life for myself, i can live and work anywhere in Europe , i first went to the states then here then Australia where iam now also a permenant resident and finally back here to Vancouver i guess in the future i will go somewhere more Rural interior , plains or north? who knows. I think alot of what you are saying i have heard in all the countries i have mentioned, i think the troubles caused by these things happen in all the countries i have been ,just as often and just as violently, i have been through the imigration process several times several times and in different continents.
A line from a favourite song of mine
\"Captain cook was the first que jumper , it was imigrant labour that made this country plumper, dont want to live in England, thats f**Kin tough\"     i readily apply this to myself..............
The one thing i have noticed is that all the countries that invite new residents do so for economic reasons its part of the process, points for an education and points for cash in the bank, it invites people who it wants to survive and prosper, often people who have fought to get away from where they are often for financial well being.Mostly from countries who are politically to the right and economically to the right, it would seem that is who countries around the world want as new citizens! Me included? So maybe instead of looing at the individuals look at the people who make the laws? But do we? NO......We seem to P**S and wine good enough but do we do anything? NO........me included

Offline ehos

Country Of Choice
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2006, 09:53:51 PM »
I have posted this on my website.
Thank you for spreading the ignorance.

Offline Chris

• Car.
Country Of Choice
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2006, 09:56:00 PM »
Thank you for spreading the ignorance.
Do you think your better?

Offline ehos

Country Of Choice
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2006, 10:01:34 PM »
Silas, what about tolerance and acceptance of the way things once were, obviously change will occur but do you go to another country and bypass all there beliefs and ways of life to suit your needs?

What other countries have you lived in?

I dont, I respect there way of life.

The correct word is 'their.'  And it's obvious you don't.

You seem to be taking the defensive stance on this, obviously reading most of the original post out of context, many retailers have been told that they can no longer use Merry Christmas in seasonal advertising, why is that?

Which retailers and told by who?  Making stuff up? Tsk tsk.

What is this holiday season for? In almost every religion we are still celebrating the birth of the same figure.

No.  Only in Christianity.  You're saying almost every religion is celebrating the 'same figure.'  What a joke.

We used to say the Lords Prayer every day in school and sing the national anthem, why did we stop?

Because not everyone is Christian.  (No brainer here folks).

The prayer I can understand as we have the freedom of religion, but its still Canada, its still the national anthem,

The 'Lords' prayer isn't the national anthem.

why is it that some of them have the hardest time accepting our way of life? Your the one in the bubble, why do we have to change to fit everyone else in? What are you thinking? When in Rome do as romans do. Im tired of this lets not offend anyone crap, if you dont like the way things are you can leave, you didnt have to show up in the first place.

Let me take you out of Canada and put you in Swaziland.  Lets see how quickly you adapt.

You should take your own advice, if you don't like how Canada is turning out, leave.

Offline ehos

Country Of Choice
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2006, 10:05:41 PM »
See my point? Why can we not defend and protect OUR CANADIAN HERITAGE? Were being told to change, you even said it.

Define this 'CANADIAN HERITAGE.'

Offline ehos

Country Of Choice
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2006, 10:07:20 PM »
But if they are going to prevent me from celebrating the things I believe in do you not think it is my right to stand up and say that is wrong?
Again, for the 4th time, WHO is preventing you from celebrating things you believe in?

Come on man, spit it out.  Don't be shy.  :D

HELP HELP!  I'm being opressed!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 10:11:54 PM by ehos »

Offline ehos

Country Of Choice
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2006, 10:10:03 PM »
Do you think your better?
'Do you think you're better?'

Better!  :lol:   :D    :rolleyes:    :blink:  
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 10:11:22 PM by ehos »

Offline Chris

• Car.
Country Of Choice
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2006, 10:36:28 PM »

What other countries have you lived in?

I dont, I respect there way of life.

The correct word is 'their.'  And it's obvious you don't.

You seem to be taking the defensive stance on this, obviously reading most of the original post out of context, many retailers have been told that they can no longer use Merry Christmas in seasonal advertising, why is that?

Which retailers and told by who?  Making stuff up? Tsk tsk.

What is this holiday season for? In almost every religion we are still celebrating the birth of the same figure.

No.  Only in Christianity.  You're saying almost every religion is celebrating the 'same figure.'  What a joke.

We used to say the Lords Prayer every day in school and sing the national anthem, why did we stop?

Because not everyone is Christian.  (No brainer here folks).

The prayer I can understand as we have the freedom of religion, but its still Canada, its still the national anthem,

The 'Lords' prayer isn't the national anthem.

why is it that some of them have the hardest time accepting our way of life? Your the one in the bubble, why do we have to change to fit everyone else in? What are you thinking? When in Rome do as romans do. Im tired of this lets not offend anyone crap, if you dont like the way things are you can leave, you didnt have to show up in the first place.

Let me take you out of Canada and put you in Swaziland.  Lets see how quickly you adapt.

You should take your own advice, if you don't like how Canada is turning out, leave.
-What other countries, none. Whats your point?

-My apologies to you oh great grammar guru

-Yes I do respect there way of life, I deal with many people of many cultures every day, and I dont go around telling them they are wrong....

-Have you ever read a newspaper? Maybe you should, I did, funny the internet seems to have a lot about this very subject, take a look.

-Christians, Catholics, Protestants, and Methodists as well as Unitarians celebrate christmas and research has lead some to believe that Muslims, the Jewish and Christians all worship the same god.

- We used to say the Lords Prayer every day in school and sing the national anthem, why did we stop? The prayer I can understand as we have the freedom of religion, but its still Canada, its still the national anthem, and its still the country that provides all these freedoms that people have come to this country to enjoy

Thats what I posted, why did you split it in to two points? Is this your way of manipulating things to make yourself feel better? Obviously the Lord's Prayer is not the national anthem, are you confused?

- You pay for the trip to swaziland, I am quite sure I will adapt, Im fine with that, I feel very lucky to live in this country, and I do my best to not take it for granted. I never said I didnt like the way Canada was turning out, I just voiced my opinion in regards to how I feel about some of the things that have changed and how I would have preferred that they did not.  Maybe you should leave.

Offline Chris

• Car.
Country Of Choice
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2006, 10:39:07 PM »
See my point? Why can we not defend and protect OUR CANADIAN HERITAGE? Were being told to change, you even said it.

Define this 'CANADIAN HERITAGE.'
Our geography and built environment; our personal and collective traditions; and the physical and intangible evidence of our history. Our historic places, heritage institutions and organizations enable us to discover our diverse heritage and help us know who we are and what brings us together.

Does this work for you oh great guru of grammar?

Offline Chris

• Car.
Country Of Choice
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2006, 10:41:38 PM »
QUOTE (1976BUS @ Jan 2 2006, 09:12 PM)
But if they are going to prevent me from celebrating the things I believe in do you not think it is my right to stand up and say that is wrong? 

Again, for the 4th time, WHO is preventing you from celebrating things you believe in?

Come on man, spit it out.  Don't be shy.  :D

HELP HELP!  I'm being opressed!
a hypothetical possibility, circumstance, statement, proposal, situation, etc.; \"consider the following, just as a hypothetical\"
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 10:51:55 PM by 1976BUS »

Offline Chris

• Car.
Country Of Choice
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2006, 10:42:45 PM »

Better!  :lol:   :D    :rolleyes:    :blink:
Post whore in the making, again I beg for your forgiveness oh great guru of grammar.

Offline Chris

• Car.
Country Of Choice
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2006, 11:04:32 PM »
I am finished with this discussion, I have explained my thoughts and opinions on this subject, I do not feel that I am ignorant, I think it would be more ignorant to not discuss this and not listen to others opinions. I try to keep an open mind about life, culture, religions, and people. I have many friends that are immigrants, to me there just Canadians like myself, I just dont want the things I consider to be a part of my way of life to be forgotten. Our heritage as Canadians comes from ALL the people that live here and call it home, not just the ones who make the most noise and complain. It is not my intention to offend anyone with my point of view on this and if you are offended I apologize profusely, but I do feel I am entitled to my opinion and that I should not be afraid to speak it. If you intend to question something I have posted, do not take it out of context to suit your needs, read the whole post and thread, be aware of the discussion and then respond.

Has political correctness gone too far?

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Best Wishes in 2006!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 11:15:30 PM by 1976BUS »

Offline Bruce

Country Of Choice
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2006, 12:02:10 AM »
A lot of this discussion assumes that new immigrants of non-christian faith would be offended by the traditional holidays we have here.  Not so in all cases.
I have a neighbour who is Sikh.  Been in Canada less than 10 years.  He's a fundamentalist, always wears a turban, never cuts his hair and is a vegetarian.  As far as a christian is concerned, a big heathen.  But last month, get this---I saw him dragging a fricken tree into his house!  I asked him what's that all about, and he said the family likes the whole idea of christmas.

Offline ehos

Country Of Choice
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2006, 11:35:13 AM »

Better!  :lol:   :D    :rolleyes:    :blink:
Post whore in the making, again I beg for your forgiveness oh great guru of grammar.

a hypothetical possibility, circumstance, statement, proposal, situation, etc.; \"consider the following, just as a hypothetical\"

Says the guy with almost 3000 posts!  What a hypocrite!

So, now you're talking hypothetically?  So basically you're crying over something that didn't happen?  Thought so.  Why didn't you say that before, you could've saved your breath.

Thank you for admitting that you're huffing and puffing for no reason.  Hypothetically!

I guess you weren't being oppressed!  (You wolf cryier you!)  Tsk tsk!   -_-
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 11:40:08 AM by ehos »

Offline ehos

Country Of Choice
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2006, 11:43:49 AM »
I am finished with this discussion,

So you say you don't want to discuss this, but in the same sentence...

I have explained my thoughts and opinions on this subject, I do not feel that I am ignorant, I think it would be more ignorant to not discuss this and not listen to others opinions.

Uh, hmmm.  You are ignorant by your own definition.  You choose not to listen to other's opinions and you yourself said you don't want to discuss this further.  

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
Country Of Choice
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2006, 11:48:06 AM »
Both of you should give your heads a shake.  :blink:  

Offline kirin

Country Of Choice
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2006, 01:11:12 PM »
take it to http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/index.p...hp?showforum=16
bloody pansys.
This is an aircooled forum not a POLITICAL forum.
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline hellgti

• http://
Country Of Choice
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2006, 01:44:58 PM »
i support a diverse cultural society, not a melting pot.

i could not give 2 shits if someone says Christmas, X-mas, Winter break, holiday tree....etc.  It hasn't personaly effected me except that i get a chuckle out all the fuss.  My family practices it's own traditions.  A mix between Swedish, Italian, and North American traditions.  It's something completely unique.  Just like this country.

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
Country Of Choice
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2006, 06:16:29 PM »

So you say you don't want to discuss this, but in the same sentence...

I have explained my thoughts and opinions on this subject, I do not feel that I am ignorant, I think it would be more ignorant to not discuss this and not listen to others opinions.

Uh, hmmm.  You are ignorant by your own definition.  You choose not to listen to other's opinions and you yourself said you don't want to discuss this further.
Ehos, somebody go pee pee in your cornflakes???? ...............CCCCHHHHHRRRRRRRRRIIIIISSSSSSSS????
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
Country Of Choice
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2006, 08:24:08 PM »
Interesting thread!
Cheers for you all!!
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
Country Of Choice
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2006, 09:58:51 PM »
It is interesting, and if I'm not mistaken that's why Darren posted it in the first place.

Encore, encore!

Jason Hamilton

Offline slugbug

• http://
Country Of Choice
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2006, 11:29:06 PM »
While I believe that all people have the right to their own beliefs, they do not have the right to force those beliefs onto others. The jehovahs witnesses paid us a visit a while back, and asked me what I thought about what was happening in the middle east. I told them that most of the problems in the world are caused by religion. The lady said \" Yes there are too many religions\". \"No\" said I, \"the problem is religion in general\".
My religion is the only true religion. No, my religion is better! I kill you!. I kill you once, I kill you twice, I kill you three times!
You should have seen the look on their faces  :o  It's a good thing they didn't ask me my opinion about our origins. :rolleyes:
So did God create Adam and Eve before or after the age of Dinosaurs?
[a href=\"http://www.pricenetwork.ca/index.php?rzx=2585\"]
[img border=\"0\" src=\"http://www.pricenetwork.ca/images/linkPN_2.gif\"]
[/a]