Author Topic: Border Whoa's!  (Read 5301 times)

Offline Bruce

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2005, 12:06:43 AM »
Steiner, any update on your application for a duty refund?

I was over at Alp's place a couple of days ago and asked him to dig up his papers for the 3 old import cars he has imported in recent years.  His 1970 Datsun Roadster and his 1965 VW Type 2 single cab both came in with NO DUTY.  The HS code on both of these car's import forms was 8703.90.00.90.

Then his 1974 BMW 2002 was erroneously charged duty.    The classification # it got was HS 8703.23.00.51.

All you guys that got charged duty, check your form.  I bet they have the latter number above instead of the former.  Apply for a refund on this form here:

Duty refund form

This duty free status is bestowed upon every car 25 years old or older, regardless of where it was made.

Offline AirCooledRules

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2005, 12:29:00 PM »
I asked about the vintage car thing when I brought back the DC and it is true when it is manufactured in the US or
Canada, but the VW isn't so that is why you have to pay duty & pay your GST at the border and you pay your PST when you register in Canada.  Check your papers Lanny one of those was probably duty and not PST.
not only vintage but any car made in canada or USA is duty free, the age of it does not matter.

ill have to check if i paid duty on my 1960. i dont even know.
1960 Volkswagen Beetle

1975 Honda CB125S
1983 Audi UR-Quattro
1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI
1998 Audi A6

Offline vwboop

• Chris & Gina
Border Whoa's!
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2005, 02:17:53 PM »
I just spoke to a lady at Canada Customs. After 25 years there is no applicable duty regardless of where a car was made. THE FINAL WORD! ;)  

Offline steiner

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2005, 03:48:48 PM »
Thanks for reminding me. I have been so busy lately that I forgot to send off the forms. I paid over $ 300 in duty. I'm going to get on that tonight!
Thanx Bruce!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 03:49:45 PM by steiner »
1964 21 bus

Offline 68IIIbuggy

• http://
Border Whoa's!
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2006, 08:47:41 PM »
OK, so I'm just looking for a little clarity here: I can drive down to Washington state, buy a vintage VW, rent a uhaul trailer, and bring the vehicle back to Canada. All I need for the border is the vehicle title and a bill of sale? I know the US side needs to see the afformentioned paperwork 72 hours in advance, but is ther anything else I am missing? What about driving a vehicle back? I know the border procedure would be the same, but I've searched high and low and can't find any info on whether it is possible for a Canadian to get a temp. permit on a US vehicle and drive it back. We've all heard of someone doing it, etc, but does anybody actually have FIRSTHAND EXPIRIENCE? I'm considering the possibility of importing a vehicle, and I just want it to be as painless as possible.

Offline 68IIIbuggy

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2006, 08:48:37 PM »
OK, so I'm just looking for a little clarity here: I can drive down to Washington state, buy a vintage VW, rent a uhaul trailer, and bring the vehicle back to Canada. All I need for the border is the vehicle title and a bill of sale? I know the US side needs to see the afformentioned paperwork 72 hours in advance, but is ther anything else I am missing? What about driving a vehicle back? I know the border procedure would be the same, but I've searched high and low and can't find any info on whether it is possible for a Canadian to get a temp. permit on a US vehicle and drive it back. We've all heard of someone doing it, etc, but does anybody actually have FIRSTHAND EXPIRIENCE? I'm considering the possibility of importing a vehicle, and I just want it to be as painless as possible.

Offline Bruce

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2006, 02:40:14 AM »
To get a temp permit in WA, you get it from the US DOT.  aka the weigh scales.

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
Border Whoa's!
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2006, 06:24:04 AM »
I got my refund for teh DC
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline Bruce

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2006, 02:12:14 AM »
Pacifico or Corona, Shane.

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
Border Whoa's!
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2006, 10:38:09 AM »
When I talked to ICBC, they wanted to sell me a permit to drive the vehicle once I was the owner. I would put a temp on it, and drive it back to canada. (I ended up on the u-haul in the end)
Brian  
brian waz

Offline steiner

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2006, 11:31:50 AM »
I got my refund!
1964 21 bus

Offline shovel80

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2006, 02:18:43 PM »
bump
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Offline amishrabbi

Border Whoa's!
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2006, 12:20:56 PM »
i think border people go out of their way to be annoying to people impoting cars.

when we import our 67 cougar he border officer didnt belive that we paid what we declared for it (paid 5k american, which ill admit was a smoking deal) so he got the number of the lady we bough it off of, called her and pretended to be a buyer to confirm how much we paid for it. and all the while my dad has the bank reciet for the cashiers check for 5000 american in his hand and the guy still wouldnt belive us, added n extra hour to our trip
1963 Beetle, 2017cc Stroker

Offline rolls and pleats

Re: Border Whoa's!
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2008, 08:27:50 AM »
Have the rules changed? When we brought back our bus a few weeks back Leanne was charged duty. I just went this morning again to the truck border and spoke witha a cocky border agent and said that all cars that are not made in north america are subjest to duty which I believe he is wrong. But he also stated that it has always been that way.  I am always down to prove somebody like that wrong but without knowing what to quote (aside from that the car is 25 years or older) I came home with my tail between my legs. All of the links from other posts do not work sooooooooooooo,

Can somebody post a link to "the form" and or the rule so I can get my refund and inform the border .

Thx,
Richard

Offline Alp

• I’m not your type. I’m not inflatable.
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2008, 09:44:37 AM »
nothing has changes he is WRONG!  Now go back and get a senior officer to teach the cocky shithead something he should know.

Offline rolls and pleats

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2008, 10:24:48 AM »
nothing has changes he is WRONG!  Now go back and get a senior officer to teach the cocky shithead something he should know.

Thanks but does anybody have this in writing. I know that we are right but I need the proof plus I still need the form or form #.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 10:43:11 AM by rolls and pleats »

Offline rolls and pleats

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2008, 09:49:21 PM »
Steiner, any update on your application for a duty refund?

I was over at Alp's place a couple of days ago and asked him to dig up his papers for the 3 old import cars he has imported in recent years.  His 1970 Datsun Roadster and his 1965 VW Type 2 single cab both came in with NO DUTY.  The HS code on both of these car's import forms was 8703.90.00.90.

Then his 1974 BMW 2002 was erroneously charged duty.    The classification # it got was HS 8703.23.00.51.

All you guys that got charged duty, check your form.  I bet they have the latter number above instead of the former.  Apply for a refund on this form here:

Duty refund form

This duty free status is bestowed upon every car 25 years old or older, regardless of where it was made

Bruce

My customs form has the classification #8703.90.00.90 and I still paid duty at 6.1%. Any comment?

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 12:32:24 PM by rolls and pleats »

Offline Bruce

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2008, 01:27:29 PM »
But he also stated that it has always been that way.  
He's partly right.  The rules have not changed.  Although my memory only goes back to the 70s, even then, 25 year old cars and parts were duty free, regardless of origin.  Him babbling about made in North America suggests something to do with NAFTA, but NAFTA has nothing to do with the existing rule.

The duty free status is not attached to the HS code # like I thought.  Both parts for, and whole cars 25 yo and older are duty free.  I noticed on some of my import papers for parts that sometimes they would try to charge duty, and sometimes no, even with the exact same HS code #.  There's one guy that I kept seeing at the Pt Roberts crossing that knew his shit, and he had trouble determining the exact method to ensure duty free.  I haven't seen him for a long time, so I've been unable to follow up.  Most of the other thieves at the Pt Roberts crossing seem to be short of experience.

For now, be adamant that there's no duty on ANY car made ANYWHERE in the world as long as it's 25 yo or older.  Same goes for parts for a 25 yo car or older.  If the cockey bastard won't capitulate, ask to speak to the superintendent.  If the superintendent isn't around, just talk to another guy.  There's usually someone there that knows the rule.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 06:09:47 PM by Bruce »

Offline Orangeguy

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2008, 11:46:22 AM »
My friend the border guard (does not everybody have one), has told me that the only exception to the US rental vehicle thing is U-Haul, because every vehicle they own is registered in the US

Offline el_flechador

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2008, 09:53:26 AM »
Some people are asking for direct experience of someone who went to washington and drove a Us car back here to Canada.
Thats Me

Firstly i went to the Auto plan agent at broadway and Burrard and spoke to a lady there who has much experience of this(cant remember her name blond lady who recently 3yrs ago had a wee baby if that helps) i say this because others in the office were unsure.She was very knowledgable though.

I explained to her that i wanted to go get my split panel van and drive it back.
She issued me with a window/paper permit that was valid for 14 days, the only stipulation was that i had to drive it from where i bought it in US to Canada and then to the testing station to get it checked out, which i did , i took it to German Autohaus and they did some work and got it checked by the testing station for me. (So i guess this means no road trips before you bring it back) I still had the Us plates on it which hadexpired but i took them off and put them under the seat, so i had only the window permit while both in the states and here in Vancouver . I took it to the border at sumas, only because i had to cross at the weekend due to work. I had a sent them the docs 72hrs before, and had original title and registrations with me, also a bill of sale ;). I was asked if i had a copy of the for sale AD which i didnt i told them i bought from a friend. they were satisfied and looked the vehicle over, i showed them where the vin number was and they checked against the paperwork, shook my hand and i was off down the free way at 40mph.
 ;D Cant remember if i paid duty etc , ill see if i can still find the paper work and post up if i do. This post is mainly to do with getting a paper permit to drive in the states and Canada. Hope it helps

Offline karmann57

• Karmann Ghia Owners of Canada
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2008, 06:15:17 PM »
For those that got a refund on the duty they paid, how long did it take to get it back?  I sent my form off only last week but I'm just curious.

Shane

Offline rolls and pleats

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2008, 06:00:59 AM »
For those that got a refund on the duty they paid, how long did it take to get it back?  I sent my form off only last week but I'm just curious.

Shane

What form or fom # did you use? Is there a special heading that you have to put on this form?