Author Topic: Catastrophic Failure..  (Read 4498 times)

Offline Lanny

Catastrophic Failure..
« on: August 16, 2004, 09:31:14 PM »
Great weekend..Nice dinner after the show Sunday, cruising home..BANG! The Berg 5 is now a special 2 piece model..The diff exploded at 65 MPH on the highway,breaking the tranny in half, no warning. Hopefully Cameron can post the photos he shot last night while waiting for the tow truck..It's ghastly..Oh well, I counted 48 passes on that diff.  :D  

Offline James Buchan

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 09:38:19 PM »
CHa-CHing wow that really sucks! Get your checkbook out!

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 10:00:43 PM »
now you got me worried,but at least i now know to stop at 47.
sorry too hear this lanny,hopefully its reparable,fingers crossed

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline Lanny

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 10:31:33 PM »
I'll pull it apart very soon. This type of thing will keep me awake at night, especially with 6 weeks of summer driving left. I suspect a new diff, R/P,case and possibly a mainshaft..argh. Luckily, I have a fresh 5 spd 'O' type R/P and an extra 5 mainshaft in my toolbox. Wish me luck.

Stephan Schmidt

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 12:07:18 AM »
Sorry to hear that lanny.

thats 48 HARD passes on that tranny, along with LOTS of street driving.

that is awesome for any tranny.

Stephan

PS: Cameron..post up some pics!

Offline Black-Back

• http://
Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 12:13:07 AM »
Dam.......48 passes, and how many years?? lets hope the next one lasts as long!!

Mike
GOIN' STROKIN' FOR THE SUMMER[/size][/font]

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 06:29:19 AM »
I'll pull it apart very soon. This type of thing will keep me awake at night, especially with 6 weeks of summer driving left. I suspect a new diff, R/P,case and possibly a mainshaft..argh. Luckily, I have a fresh 5 spd 'O' type R/P and an extra 5 mainshaft in my toolbox. Wish me luck.
Pull up a seat beside me on the bench brotha... We can cruise in da Ford!!!
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline Cameron

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 09:24:15 AM »
Gavin and I were going home from the GCVWShow, when we saw Lanny at the side of the highway. Gavin was driving, and pulled over almost immediately. We backed down the highway and stopped just in front of Lanny's car. The beetle had a big stream of gear oil running out from underneath.

I stuck my camera under the car, and took some really good photos of Lanny's exploded gear box, right there at the side of the road. I tried to post the pics on Sunday night, but Samba is not letting me on right now. Stay tuned, photos will be posted eventually.  

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline Black-Back

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 01:55:52 PM »
As sad as it is, I can't wait to see them!!!

Mike

Offline Tom H.

• http://home.att.net/~drsowatt/index.html
Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 03:30:19 PM »
wonder if its the \"pin falling out syndrone\", and we were just talking aboot that, Cameron.

well, ya got your pass that beat Geoff............

dang, Lanny, I coulda loaned ya my 5 but its in pieces now too, R&P time.

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 05:36:46 PM »
\"Hi\" My name is Lanny and I just blowed up my tranny real good like!

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 05:41:44 PM »
[\"well, ya got your pass that beat Geoff............\"]

Ummmm, was that some sort of goal to beat me on friday????? News to me?

Still a ways away from my 12.22 and i'm a long way away from getting close to Allans 11.95. Maybe next year i'll catch up to Allan but by then he'll probably be a 11.70. When will it all end?!?!?!? :D

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 05:44:35 PM »
\"takin a dump\".

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_pag...hp?pic_id=84379

sorry to here about the casualty, lanny. best of luck. i'm sure you'll have it up and running low 12's in no time.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 05:45:33 PM by silas »

Offline Hoosier Daddy

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 05:56:15 PM »
Sorry to hear about the tranny, but buck up man! Theres lots of racing left :rockon:  

Offline OUTKAST

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 07:52:06 PM »
48 passes and alot of smiles your the man to put another together in no time  :) Good to see you run on the weekend and talk abit will see you at the next shindig
Later outkast

Offline Lanny

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2004, 08:18:57 PM »
Yo Geoff..\"The pass that beat Geoff\" line..news to me..apples and oranges..I'm surprised the trans lasted that long launching my tank..

Offline Cameron

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2004, 09:19:30 PM »
Yo Geoff.."The pass that beat Geoff" line..news to me..apples and oranges..I'm surprised the trans lasted that long launching my tank..
Okay all you owners of high performance VW's. Read this.
It's not a question of \"if\" your transmission is going to fail, it's a matter of \"when\". Lanny's car regularly runs 1.58 to 1.60 sec sixty foot times (Is this correct Lanny?). Anybody who runs the same sixty foot times can expect limited trans life also. Lifespan is inversely proportional to weight of the car, horsepower, and traction.  Something to think about, for all you guys who want to hotrod your motors.

Geoff, thanks for posting the pics!

Offline Hansk

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2004, 10:48:16 PM »
So that was a 4.12 r&p ?   and was it the r&p that broke or was it the pin thing as Tom H suggested ?  Either way it seems that it could have been a lot worse had the trany actualy locked up at speed on the hwy.  Has this ever happened to anyone?

ps , sorry to hear this Lanny
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 10:58:15 PM by Hansk »
Big fat black fastback

Offline silas

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2004, 11:51:08 PM »
Something to think about, for all you guys who want to hotrod your motors.

and yet, friday night at mission, a certain someone (see above) and another certain someone *cough*gavin*cough* were trying to talk me out of building my 1776 mouse motor and going for a stroked 2275? ;)  :lol:  

Offline Island bugs

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2004, 12:41:27 AM »
No Doubt! EVERY time you get \"on it\" it's like rolling the dice! Weight IS the enemy and sooner or later every R&P let's you down. Sorry to hear of your misfortune Lanny! been there, done that, DIDN\"T LIKE IT EITHER! Wayne

Offline Trevor P

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2004, 02:02:21 PM »
That sucks Lanny. Well looks like the shifter is the least of your worries now. Hope you get it back in action before the end of the season.
Hmmm... my 5 speed looks all nice a purdy sitting in my shop in one piece...do I really wanna install it and roll the dice? :D... Hells yeah!
'53 Barndoor single cab
'57 Cal-look oval 2332cc / Berg 5
'70 911T

Offline Lanny

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2004, 11:54:27 PM »
Trevor..It's looks like we are doing a show(Winston) in Sakatoon around the 22nd of Sept, I'll keep you posted. You think I'm giving up on the Berg 5?..Hell no!

Offline Bruce

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2004, 12:19:54 AM »
Okay all you owners of high performance VW's. Read this.
It's not a question of "if" your transmission is going to fail, it's a matter of "when". Lanny's car regularly runs 1.58 to 1.60 sec sixty foot times (Is this correct Lanny?). Anybody who runs the same sixty foot times can expect limited trans life also. Lifespan is inversely proportional to weight of the car, horsepower, and traction.  Something to think about, for all you guys who want to hotrod your motors.

Adding to this, I've heard that the guys in Calif who are deep into the 12s with their heavy street cars view an aftermarket cast iron superdiff as a consumable, to be replaced annually.

The bores for the pins pound out, allowing the pins to wiggle around, suspended only by the roll pin.  The roll pin quickly gets mangled then the pin falls out.

The market really needs an affordable steel superdiff, just like the one Weddle used to make about 10 years ago.  Darren's lucky enough to be an owner of one of those gems.

Offline Cameron

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2004, 07:59:39 AM »
The bores for the pins pound out, allowing the pins to wiggle around, suspended only by the roll pin.  The roll pin quickly gets mangled then the pin falls out.

Good points Bruce. I've noticed that the newer super diffs that ERCO sells have the rolled pins running perpendicular to the axles. These pins should not shear off like the old super diffs, where the rolled pins are installed parallel to the axles. Hopefully, we won't see as many catastrophic failures. Diffs will still be consumable, but spider shafts won't be falling out, messing things up.  

Offline Lanny

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2004, 08:09:01 AM »
Hmm, the last time I put the Ercos on, there seemed to be more slack in the diff than usual. As it was working fine, I didn't think any more of it. I'll find out this evening how bad it really is.

Offline Black-Back

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2004, 10:36:59 AM »
Hope there's more to salvage than there is to throw away!!

Mike

Offline silas

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2004, 02:05:54 PM »
It's looks like we are doing a show(Winston) in Sakatoon around the 22nd of Sept,
you guys playing at the wash-n-slosh, lanny?

trevor probably knows what that is. laundry mat/bar in saskatoon. despite what peoples first impression may be, when the band i was in played there, we had a great time. the bartender/manager was a guy named terry. he set us up really good w/ a sweet place to stay, plenty of grub and massive amounts of beer. and we got to do our laundry aswell.

good times on the road. :rockon:  

Offline flat4

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2004, 02:32:54 PM »
Tough luck with the Berg 5 dude...

At least you've got the parts to fix it.

Thanks for all the linkage advice.  I'm going to the track tonight, to see if I can better my times from your show.  As a point of interest, I found an oil slick under my car yesterday evening...seem that all those times I thought the suspension was bottoming out, it was my drain plug....needless to say, it was shaved perfectly flat (probably happened on the tow home to Calgary) and was barely finger tight.  I guess it was knocked loose.  I'm just glad I caught it.
Water is for ducks
Reservoir Dubs/Der Kleiner Rennwagens
1970 No Skool Looker Beetle 13.040@101.25 MPH
1969 Retro 80's Beetle Drag Machine 12.841@104.61 MPH
1975 Super Phat Chick
Sand Rail Project

Offline James Buchan

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2004, 03:49:20 PM »
Hey Lanny if you need your case washed after disassemble let me know, got a huge industrial parts washer at work...

Offline Lanny

Catastrophic Failure..
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2004, 09:38:34 PM »
It looks like the stock 71-72 case will be the one..anybody have one for sale? Dual side cover with the late T/O bearing. The parts washer sounds great James, thanks. BTW, the spider pin slid out(broken roll pin) causing the pin to make friends with the R/P, causing the case to explode.. So far, the Berg stuff appears fine(sigh..) It will need a diff, case and the R/P. Not too bad. Cheers.