Author Topic: 34-3 / Fuel Pump Questions  (Read 1151 times)

Offline ArsenicPants

• http://
34-3 / Fuel Pump Questions
« on: May 12, 2006, 05:10:44 PM »
you know that little hook shaped spout looking thing that sits inside the carb, just under the butterfly?
is it ok if that thing comes out?
because i took it out, and now i can't get it to snug back in, it just sits there loosely

also, how do i know if my fuel pump is working?
i took it off yesterday and hand pumped it with my finger over the intake spout, and it blew a bit of air at me when i took my finger off, so i figure it's working
but then why isn't there any fuel getting into my upper hose to my carb?

there's fuel in the car, my gas gauge doesn't work but when i shove the car back and forth i can hear it sloshing around in there, i even jacked up the front in case it was only a tiny little bit
and i can see fuel in my fuel filter, which is connected to a brand new hose before my fuel pump

any help'd be much appreciated
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 05:15:22 PM by ArsenicPants »
Original SBC Member #16

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 05:47:43 PM »
The little brass hook shaped thing is the accelerator pump nozzle and it should tighten up if you tap it down with a screwdriver on the little flange near the base. It's tapered so you need to set it down into the hole, make sure it's aimed directly at the rear edge of the throttle plate especially if you are running a 009 distributor or the flat spot / hesitation will be severe.
As far as the fuel pump goes are you sure you have the inlet line on the inlet for the pump? if you pumped it and it blew air at you I'm thinking that might be the outlet. If it's a late pump with the kinda rounded smooth top that may or may not have a screw in the middle the inlet is the top line and the outlet is the bottom one.
Try reversing the lines and see what happens, you won't be the first to make that mistake.
When you had the top off the carb did you make sure the needle and seat were opening?  sometimes they get glued shut. Try putting the end of the fuel line to the carb in a pop bottle and see what comes out.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline dannyboy

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 06:18:35 PM »
your fuel line from the tank could be clogged aswell...

Offline ArsenicPants

• http://
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 06:33:26 PM »
if you pumped it and it blew air at you I'm thinking that might be the outlet.

sorry, i meant i put my finger over the inlet spout, pumped it, and it blew air out the outlet spout when i took my finger off

i have the lines connected correctly, i've already gotten that one wrong ;)

thanks for the help with the accelerator pump nozzle, i was afraid i had broken my carb
and i'm gonna try sticking some kind of bottle on the end of the fuel line and see what comes out
i mean, the pump wither works or it doesn't right?  it's not like it could just have really lousey suction?
if i can feel it sucking against my finger and feel a pretty strong puff of air come out of it you'd think it'd be working just fine

when i opened up my carb there was nothing at all in the bowl
i'm not so sure it's a clogged fuel line, because a few weeks ago before i had the motor in, i rolled the car outside my garage to wash and paint my firewall, and fuel started flowing out of my fuel line, because of the slight incline of my driveway

anyways, i'm blabbering, thanks guys
back to the garage
Original SBC Member #16

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 08:11:23 PM »
Any chance you pinched something putting the motor back in?

Good luck, it sound's like you are on the right track, as a last resort put in a couple of gallons of fuel and see what happens.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS