Author Topic: Dual Carb Question  (Read 1697 times)

Offline beetleboy

Dual Carb Question
« on: August 08, 2007, 11:44:53 AM »
oooookay...I hope nobody is drinking milk whilest they read this thread because it s likely to poor out of your nose from laughing at my stupid questions. I have a dual port 1600 engine ..it s an AH code, and am looking to put on some dual carbs.  My first question is what is the biggest dual carb setup that I can use that will run smoothly?  I basically would like to just bolt on without haveing to bore bigger holes or get bigger heads..etc etc.  not looking for insane fast.....just looking to be able to go up hills aka (the malahat) as I will be in uvic this year.  also, I guess it would be nice to get disc brakes as well as drop spindles for the front end for better handleing and stopping power? and last question please...when I want to purchase all this stuff...does airspeed have all the gear in stock? or do i have to pre order?..ok I guess that was two last questions. any help would be much appreciated. thank you

Offline Cameron

Dual Carb Question
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 03:28:25 PM »
The best bang for your buck will be a Kadron / Solex carb kit. The kit includes two carbs, manifolds, and linkage.

You will also need a mechanical advance distributor, like a Bosch \"009\".  And header system with a single quiet muffler (QP).

All these items come up for sale, in the classified section, once in a while. Or if you want to buy new, check out www.acvw.net . They should be able to get the parts for you.

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline beetleboy

Dual Carb Question
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 11:14:55 PM »
cool cameron thanks....should I go with 34 carbs or 40 carbs?

Offline Cameron

Dual Carb Question
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 08:32:23 AM »
should I go with 34 carbs or 40 carbs?
The Kadron kit originally only came in one size. 40mm

But I see California Import Parts now offers Solex kits in 40 and 44mm sizes.

http://www.cip1.ca/SearchResults.asp?Searc...ch=ACC-C10-5474
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 08:33:18 AM by Cameron »

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline beetleboy

Dual Carb Question
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 10:01:51 AM »
will I not have to change the stock heads on that? If I use the 40s?...will it run ok?....just bought the 009 distributor...gonna wait and see what everyone has at the gcvw for carbs and exhaust. and thank you again

Offline GRK

• http://
Dual Carb Question
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 10:26:38 AM »
will I not have to change the stock heads on that? If I use the 40s?...will it run ok?....just bought the 009 distributor...gonna wait and see what everyone has at the gcvw for carbs and exhaust. and thank you again
Before I up graded my sandrail engine I had a stock 1600 with dual kadron 40's never touched the heads. They made a big diffeerance to the rail.

Gary

Offline dannyboy

Dual Carb Question
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 10:54:58 PM »
once you get dual carbs theres a bit of a learning curve, but once they are dialed in you will never want to go back to a single carb, the throttle response, the bark and the power increase, even on a 1600 make your car a hell of a lot more fun to drive..