Author Topic: Best Engine For A Wheelie?  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Silverblade

Best Engine For A Wheelie?
« on: May 02, 2005, 09:17:32 PM »
I was just wondering what would be the cheapest/easiest/most efficient way to be able to pop wheelies in a sand rail

Big stroker(2.0+?)
or smaller and turbo'd (1.6?)
or N/A 1.8???

What kind of price ranges would I be looking at?

Thanks in advance

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 09:20:16 PM »
Strong transmission :rockon:  
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline ScreamnStroker

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 09:43:42 PM »
We run an 1835cc with dual 44 webbers, with a strong tranny (superdiff, close3&4th) and it wheelie's easy.Steal front beam and pushbar too!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 09:49:07 PM by ScreamnStroker »

Offline GRK

• http://
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 03:47:44 PM »
I have a long wheel base,heavy rail tool box up front, steel floor, 48 litre fuel tank, push bar and I can wheelie . I don't do it to often as I have a stock swing axle tranny, and when the paddle's grab lot's of torque spiders break! I run a 1914 mild port, 110 cam, kadron carbs (thanks Hansk). If you shorten your wheel base,you'll wheelie easier , lighten the front most of all get strong tranny. Oh ya my 1914 is a great stump puller pulled lot's out Ford Explorer, Lot's and lot's of rails ( up some nasty hills  to Right Hansk!)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 03:51:06 PM by GRK »

Offline ScreamnStroker

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 04:23:07 PM »
Oh ya my 1914 is a great stump puller pulled lot's out Ford Explorer, Lot's and lot's of rails ( up some nasty hills  to Right Hansk!)
Gary's Dune Towing...price: Free.. get a sandshower too :)

Offline Silverblade

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 05:01:44 PM »
Would it wheelie easier in the sand with paddles or on cement? I am thinking of making one street legal for summer and it would be fun to leave the beach on 2 wheels B)  

Offline Hansk

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 06:12:08 PM »
It's kinda tacky but , you can hang some kind of cast iron , water pumping , bastard motor on it and do wheelies by just breathing on it. :P

Seriously though , you should really plan out what you want and what your budget is . Talk to alot of people and ask lots of questions . You can end up with a really nice motor.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 06:12:58 PM by Hansk »
Big fat black fastback

Offline GRK

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 09:28:30 PM »
I've wheelied on the pavement with my big heavy ugly dirt tires on. Still think about it, what's it's main purpose. If for the road you don't want something too snaky . Have a friend who had a short wheel base and rotary in the back he could drive all day on the skid plate looking up at the stars!
Like Hansk say's could have a  big cast iron water pump bastard  on the back wheelie all day just cuz of the weight on the back!
Remember ain't no water in the Desert ! :D  

Offline ScreamnStroker

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 09:43:10 PM »
Have a friend who had a short wheel base and rotary in the back he could drive all day on the skid plate looking up at the stars!
UMP1, here on the forums had this rail rotary powered.He would Wheelie up the hill turn around with the hand break still on 2 wheels and wheelie down the hill!!! :rockon:  :rockon:  

Offline GRK

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 07:48:31 PM »

UMP1, here on the forums had this rail rotary powered.He would Wheelie up the hill turn around with the hand break still on 2 wheels and wheelie down the hill!!! :rockon:  :rockon:  

[/quote]
 Seems to me I recall that trip ! A certain purple rail tried the hand brake on that same hill and went for a tumble on their LiD!

Offline ScreamnStroker

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 08:26:34 PM »
Quote from: ScreamnStroker,May 3 2005, 08:43 PM

Seems to me I recall that trip ! A certain purple rail tried the hand brake on that same hill and went for a tumble on their LiD! [/quote]
 Yeah I recall that trip like yesterday, I got pictures of that roll too... but there not comming out  :P  :ph34r:  :P  :ph34r:  

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 10:24:11 PM »
It's kinda tacky but , you can hang some kind of cast iron , water pumping , bastard motor on it and do wheelies by just breathing on it. :P

Hey I resemble that remark......
But I guess if you could catch me then you could talke smack chicken boy :rockon:  
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph