Author Topic: Who Can Machine My Case?  (Read 2683 times)

Offline Boost_Retard

Who Can Machine My Case?
« on: July 28, 2005, 04:32:21 PM »
I e mailed rockey jennings..and he can do the work.. but thats allot of shipping...

i know its a tricky job..but are there any somewhat local guys that can pull this sort of thing off??

i know a WBX case would be the wise choice..but im gonna try type 1 first..

101.6X86=2789cc mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm boosted... :wacko:

it has to be done.
Cale

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
Who Can Machine My Case?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 06:37:58 PM »
i saw pictures a while ago from someone who uses a type 1 case with 4\" bore.the had to modifie the the case because when it was bored that big they cut right through the oil cooler passages as well as reweld in the case in order to resupport the head studs.they seamed to modifie that section with some external piping.
.even though i'm all for it ,best avoid type 1 case and a 4 inch bore , my 2 cents

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline James Buchan

Who Can Machine My Case?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 07:41:36 PM »
It will cost less to do it right the first time than do it twice because the first one didn't work....

101.6's won't go in a stock case.

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Who Can Machine My Case?
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 09:17:31 PM »
Even 94mm bores can cut into the oil galley.  

Offline Bruce

Who Can Machine My Case?
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 03:54:47 PM »
Cale, Rocky Jennings is talking about boring a Waterboxer case.  Like Jim said above, you can't bore out a T1 case because the oil passage is in the way.  A WBX case does not have this passage.

I've got a complete WBX long block in my garage right now with your name on it.  
It is so much easier to do that case since the head studs don't need to be altered to accomodate 4\" bore.

Cameron can machine the case for you.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 03:56:40 PM by Bruce »

Offline Boost_Retard

Who Can Machine My Case?
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 04:16:38 PM »
just got off the phone with rockey again..had a 1 hour VW power talk...
and your all right.. ditch the type 1 case.

i am in no hurry to build this motor..but i would like to get the ball rolling soon..

what i need is a 2.1L WBX block...1.9L will not work for my application..

how much of the machine work can Cameron do?

and Bruce...if your block is a 2.1L..how much $$ you looking for..i have a nice AS41 pauter case that is no longer needed  ;)

i was planning on pulling one at a wrecker..but if you have what i am looking for..please let me know.

the entire WBX conversion really is not all that expensive..its the autocraft 910 heads that get ya.
Rockey gave me the low down on allot of head options..mild to wild..
i am looking for something rather mild i suppose..i would like to run my rockers..on 2 stud shafts..with K8 valves...i figure it should be good for the spring pressure i will be working with and the valve size required..

another option is the C-D heads..but they come second place to the auto crafts...

is there any VW style head that uses VW style parts that can be run with a 4\" bore? no split ports..

let me know about that case Bruce.

thanks
Cale

Offline Cameron

Who Can Machine My Case?
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 11:43:42 PM »
Hi Gang!
A type one case could be converted to use 101.6 cylinders, but there is a lot of welding, and modifications required. Head stud positions have to be welded up and relocated. The area forward of no.3 cylinder needs to be filled in. The original oil gallery is plugged, and moved outside the case. Besides boring the case for the bigger cylinders, these are just a few things I can think of, off the top of my head. IMO way too much work! It's faster and cheaper to cut off the water jacket, and bore a WBX case.  I think the studs are already in the correct place. I'm sure Bruce will comment, if they need to be moved.

Other things to consider also:
What are you going to do for WBX cooling/ fan housing/ charging system?
You need a crank for a WBX case! Why 86mm?

I can do most of the machine work. Sorry, no T4 align bore.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 11:48:33 PM by Cameron »

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline Boost_Retard

Who Can Machine My Case?
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 08:35:01 AM »
Hey Cameron.

thanks for the info..

I will be running upright type 1 cooling with finned 101.6mm cast iron cyls and type 1 style alternator.

i have the crank shaft already. a pauter rev true 86mm. the 86mm crank/rod/cam combo that i have will drop inside a WBX case with very little work...if i did not already have this crank i would be going with a 90mm crankshaft. anyone have a new revtrue 90mm crank with type 1 journals (or type 4 main type 1 rod) that they want to trade? flanged or wedgemated?

no matter what i need to run a cooling system. and i need to stay with finned cyls..otherwise i might as well go with 103.124mm bore...

PM me your # cameron..i can give you a call and we could talk this out.

ttyl
Cale

Offline Tom H.

• http://home.att.net/~drsowatt/index.html
Who Can Machine My Case?
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 09:07:07 AM »
A 90 with VW journals won't fit unless you run a tooth pick for a cam and don't mind putting a new top on the case.

Big plates attached to the sides of the block and put the head studs in it maybe........ could allow the bore spacing to then be \"massaged\". I still see heads as a problem for \"street\" use.

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
Who Can Machine My Case?
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2005, 06:29:57 PM »
All that ENGINE and you will still not beat the HULK  :P  
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline Bruce

Who Can Machine My Case?
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005, 01:34:55 AM »
Cale, why do you think the 2.1 case is better suited over the 1.9?  Since you aren't using the 76mm crank from the 2.1, there's not much else different between the 2 cases.

Offline Boost_Retard

Who Can Machine My Case?
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2005, 11:01:47 AM »
LOL you just keep racing and soon there will be no more hulk to beat...or you will need to build 4 engines at a time just so you can have a good day at the track..maybe you can get a machine shop to make up quick release bolts so you dont have to waste time undoing nuts while swaping motors inbetween passes?
good thing you have a trailor

but honestly Shane..as im sure you have noticed..i dont actually have a whole lot of interest in drag racing.
i just like building power...in new ways..

never the less..i will have to spank you at least once.. the time will come.

and bruce..i was told that i needed a 2.1L case because of the main bearings it uses..i will have to look into this more...i was just saying what rockey said..once i figure it out..i will get back 2 you..
there was a whole lota bearing talk going on when i made the call 2 him..i cant really remeber wich was wich..but there was a reason for the 2.1L

and heads are a problem for a street motor..this is not gonna be anything close to a street motor though.

Cale

Offline Tom H.

• http://home.att.net/~drsowatt/index.html
Who Can Machine My Case?
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2005, 05:02:09 PM »
The 2.1 has a slightly raised top for the bigger stroke, but the cam location is the same as t1. The 2.1 's thrust brg. is  a 3 piece arrangement while the 1.9 uses a t4 derived but 1mm narrower brg.

I'm using a 1.9 in my street engine with all t4 mains, 84x95 and probably dry sumped

Offline Boost_Retard

Who Can Machine My Case?
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 10:34:28 AM »
95mm bore? are you staying water cooled?

the idea of water cooled is a great one IMO...
i just dont know how long of a stroke is possible if your working withing the length of the water jackets.

water cooled would leave allot of room for turbos and such :D  

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
Who Can Machine My Case?
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 11:44:41 AM »
LOL you just keep racing and soon there will be no more hulk to beat...or you will need to build 4 engines at a time just so you can have a good day at the track..maybe you can get a machine shop to make up quick release bolts so you dont have to waste time undoing nuts while swaping motors inbetween passes?
good thing you have a trailor

but honestly Shane..as im sure you have noticed..i dont actually have a whole lot of interest in drag racing.
i just like building power...in new ways..

never the less..i will have to spank you at least once.. the time will come.

and bruce..i was told that i needed a 2.1L case because of the main bearings it uses..i will have to look into this more...i was just saying what rockey said..once i figure it out..i will get back 2 you..
there was a whole lota bearing talk going on when i made the call 2 him..i cant really remeber wich was wich..but there was a reason for the 2.1L

and heads are a problem for a street motor..this is not gonna be anything close to a street motor though.

Cale
Cale, It is nice to build BIG Fast motors... but if you never use them whats the point????
As for Blowing the engines up...whatever , I am trying to get a grip on this.... Wait till the new one is done...
Yes I am building a New engine , However I am trying something different this time around... ;)
And I will wait with my pants down for this spanking you talk about... :P

Kidding aside, I admire what you are doing.. And you will have a fast motor one day soon...

FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline James Buchan

Who Can Machine My Case?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2005, 12:26:54 PM »
And you will have a fast motor one day soon

But we'll never know cause he never runs them.....  ;)  

Offline kirin

Who Can Machine My Case?
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2005, 03:33:52 PM »
Its a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast rather then a fast car slow.
Think about it.
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline Boost_Retard

Who Can Machine My Case?
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2005, 09:26:42 PM »
No Kirin i dont agree with you at all..

all my slow junker cars i had got beat like a read headed step child...beaters are boring 2 drive..slow cars are boring 2 drive IMO..i found myself rat baggin all my slow cars..

now i have had a few fast cars..and rolling them slow is way way more fun then rolling a beater..
i dont even need to drive my bug fast to have a good time..i just like knowing that you can haul ass if need be...the merge out onto the free way..the ocasional brake stand at a red light followed by a high speed row from 1st to 3rd...scare off the ricers..then keep on rolling slow..

personally..i find myself driving way slower in cars that CAN haul ass when ever i choose..VS trying to keep my momentum up just so i can possibly make a pass while going uphill..

i know all you guys dig the drag racing..dont get me wrong..i like it..but i have never really had any desire to drag race..i never built my car for drag racing, altho its slowly making the conversion..
i like messing with stuff..firing the motor up..tweak it some more..add some new high tech stuff..see what it does..i dunno..i coulda buit a drag racer a long time agao..but i never spent my money on the drag tires or things like that..cuz i never needed them..
i dont like to screw around either..im not gonna go racing to come in second place.
im sure to everyone its a good time at the track. but im not really like that..i dont like loosing..i dont feel that my car can really represent what im all about at this point in time..i dont wanna have to make excuses why this guy beat me and i got all this fancy shit on my motor and he is running NA with a set of carbs..
Really..it has nothing to do with anyone other then myself...

Moral of my story, i aint racing untill i can beat what i have set out to beat..and it has nothing to do with any other drag cars out there..not even yours shane :)

Cale

Offline Bruce

Who Can Machine My Case?
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2005, 03:17:50 AM »
Its a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast rather then a fast car slow.

Keep telling yourself that.

Offline Pipes

• http://
Who Can Machine My Case?
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2005, 03:40:28 AM »
Well said Cale!  I can see your view on every point.  I also can attest to the fast car = slower driving effect.

I'm sorry Kirin but I gotta dissagree with you strongly on this one.  I too have had (still have) plenty of slow/average cars and beating them to death isn't even 1/16th of the fun that I had just rolling in the VR6.  Its not just knowing you have the power but being able to deliever yourself from average to maniac in just a squeeze of the trigger.  In my stupid 1.8L K2 if I want to push thru a few upcoming corners I have to plan about 10 km's ahead of time and start to build some speed, and if I get into any hairy situations i'm screwed so I have to take it a little easier than i'd like.  While with the VR I find myself aproaching a quick few turns just hammer the go button and I'm going way to quick, if trouble uccurs I have more than capable breaks and plenty of power should I need to toss the cars momentum around abit.

When it comes to driving Well build fast cars ] anything else.
Trying for low, show & go

1967 Beetle