Author Topic: Swing Axle To Irs Conversion  (Read 2423 times)

Offline pittwagen

Swing Axle To Irs Conversion
« on: August 30, 2007, 09:47:14 PM »
Has anyone done the conversion with the body in place?  

Is it possible to catch the welds on the top front of the pivot bracket?  

If I didn't want to do the work myself, any recommendations as to what shop might be able to weld in the brackets?  Can it be done with the motor and trans in place?

Car is a 73 standard beetle.

Thanks for your comments.

Offline buggy1

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 07:12:42 PM »
I replied to you on the samba,my project is a 58 baja.
I'm trying to decide whether to stay with the reduction box trans or go to the bus irs.
Still also trying to decide between air-cooled or go to a deisel but I have concerns over rev speed with either trans.
'65 buggy
'58 baja in progress
Sunset Buggy Club

Offline Rob DVKK

• http://
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 09:32:17 PM »
I pretty sure it can't be done with the body in place - unless you want to start cutting up the package tray. The top of the bracket needs to be fully welded.

Is there any reason in particular that you want an IRS set-up?

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 06:04:05 PM »
I want to raise the car (keeping the body dead stock) and with the swing axle you are limited in how much you can play by adjusting the torsion bars - too much positive camber is something the swing does not like.  

I have Thing spindles for the front which will give me 2 1/2 -3 \" (with 165R15 tires) and I need to raise the rear as much or slightly more.  28\" tires ( that will fit in the rear wheel well) will give me about 1 1/2\" and I am not sure that I can raise the torsion bars enough to give me the rest without affecting the handling.  I don't believe there are a lot of skinny 15\" tires out there any more other than 700/15 which tend to weigh a lot more than say a P215/75R15 snow.  I don't know if the 700/15 would fit but if someone can tell me otherwise that would be great.

On an IRS car, adjusting the outer spine by one notch will likely bring the car back level with stock or slightly larger rear tires.

Thoughts and comments are welcome.