Author Topic: Samba Or Ebay?  (Read 4480 times)

Offline 66split

Samba Or Ebay?
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2004, 09:19:47 AM »
71bus , you're a riot.
naming a car is gay...really gay.

Offline 71BUS

Samba Or Ebay?
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2004, 09:48:06 AM »
Am I?? Thats great! I so glad that you take a good ribbing. I only do it because you are listing your bus for so much. Truth be told it doesn't really matter to me either way, if you get it good for you. Using average depreciation figures you must have over $30,000 into it. So like I said I am all for it it looks like a beautiful bus and it is probably worth it when you compare it to other 21 and 23 windows in the same price range. So, all in good fun thanks for being a good sport

Offline 71BUS

Samba Or Ebay?
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2004, 10:16:21 AM »
Looking more at your bus I think you will get it I just think most of us in this area either a: can't afford it or b: are not used to paying what they are getting for them down south. So honestly I hope you sell it for what you are asking it is worth it to the right buyer. Good luck :rockon:  

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
Samba Or Ebay?
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2004, 10:46:44 AM »
OK Boys lets all get along!!!  :wub:
 Hey, My Dad used to sell cars, and he told me "There is an ass for every seat" and it is so true... Samba has driven up the prices, However people are buying. so it is a supply and demand. I personally think you should ask what you want... If you still have it 3 years later then you are asking too much. ;)
66 split I hope you get what you want.. and please turn up the Boost Dood

FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline 71BUS

Samba Or Ebay?
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2004, 10:54:23 AM »
Pointblank the diplomat at work, fighting the rich helping the poor! making sure we all get along. It would be bedlam without you.  :D Actually I said my peace 66split has a nice bus and like I said it is probably worth as much as the other buses in that price range. I guess my issue is with rich people getting on the samba and buying up all the nice cars. I hope the bus stays stateside as the really sweet rides are getting snatched by Japanese and English enthusiasts. I guess I will have to be content with whatever ratted out old VW I can afford  :(  

Offline hellgti

• http://
Samba Or Ebay?
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2004, 11:07:51 AM »
Pointblank the diplomat at work, fighting the rich helping the poor! making sure we all get along. It would be bedlam without you.  :D Actually I said my peace 66split has a nice bus and like I said it is probably worth as much as the other buses in that price range. I guess my issue is with rich people getting on the samba and buying up all the nice cars. I hope the bus stays stateside as the really sweet rides are getting snatched by Japanese and English enthusiasts. I guess I will have to be content with whatever ratted out old VW I can afford  :(
come to the dark side....

yanktankspeedparts.com

Offline 71BUS

Samba Or Ebay?
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2004, 11:39:54 AM »
word... just making nice, it doen't mean I agree with 30,000.00CA non 23 window buses. I guess thats the way shite is going though. I figure any money spent directly on parts should be somewhat recovered and beyond that you do it because thats the vehicle you want. I have one friend that has been trying to sell a dove blue 1960 panel with a unique history that has had extensive welding and he can't get the $4800US that he is asking. But as long as there are Randy Carlson and Drew Colomes around then buses will continue to sell for exorbinant prices. Case in point Drew Colome bought Karl's 56 single cab for a fraction of the $13,500US that he is asking for on the samba. To think VW John tried to tell us that Drew phoned Karl and complained about the quality of that bus. Those of us that saw knew that it was worth every penny of what Karl got for it but for Drew to realise a mimimum 2500US profit?? come on. I guess its the fairness in me to antagonize 66split for trying to capitalize on the inflated market. I guess $30,000.00 CA is not much to an englishman whose currency is worth more than the american dollar!

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Samba Or Ebay?
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2004, 06:04:17 PM »
fly off the handle much??

that was nothing. you dont want to see me fly off the handle. trust me. ;)

if you read the entire thread you'll see that I gave the man props on a sweet bus as I have actualy seen it in person....have you silas?

i have read the entire thread and no i havent seen the bus in person.

besides 66split shit on my thread when I was asking 6k for my bus, of which he had never seen.  and of which many people on this board had.

so that is your ticket to shit on anything that 66split sells?

again, i agree that thesamba & ebay have exagerated prices. but what is the point in whining about it. had you sold your 64 on thesamba.com you could have got a little more for it. think of it as a business opportunity.

and pointblank is absolutely correct. supply and demand. there is a way to use it to your advantage but it will also hurt you a little in the long run.

the fact of the matter is that as these cars (vw's) get older and more scarce, the cost to maintain/restore/rebuild/own/drive will go up. aswell, there are alot more people enjoying the vw's these days so finding parts/cars/etc is getting a little harder. but we are far from extinction.

i think the main problem is that alot of vw owners/lovers are cheap. they still think its the 60's and that there are og splits or ovals for sale all over the place for dirt cheap. they think that the vw can be restored or rebuilt for nothing. they whine about the cost of parts/cars/maintenance/rebuilds when in fact, it is just as costly as any other hobby. (marble collecting not included).

i have no problem with you hellgti, or anyone else on this forum. i'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular. just stating my opinion.

now back to our regularly scheduled program. :P

66split. that bus is worth every penny you're asking for it. i hope you get what you want for it and i hope it goes to someone who truly appreciates it.

Offline hellgti

• http://
Samba Or Ebay?
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2004, 06:15:28 PM »
silas, please show me where i have shit on anything 66split has sold.

Offline 66split

Samba Or Ebay?
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2004, 06:57:21 PM »
hey guys..can we all chill.  I appreciate the comments good and bad.  I knew from day one my ride wouldn't be some peoples cup o tea.  no sweat off my back.  What i can say is that in my life is that i built the vw of my dreams.  I have ALWAYS loved westies and to own a split is special.  I am proud of that.  I am also proud that since i put it up I have had more compliments from people I truly admire in the vw world that i ever could have dreamed of and quite a few europeans i admire as well.  yeah most say they'd never sell and i said that myself once, but the truth of the matter is I have a family, a wife and child.  And i robbed them of more time and quite a bit of money in the last 4 years to build this thing then i ever thought i would, you can say i became obsessed.  I would like to once again own a house and hopefully before the prices double (talk about vw;s going up,,sheesh) and have another child.  I come here (to this site) cuz i live about 1 mile from the border and I am proud to say I consider quite a few of you friends to me.  At the vintage meet i got to meet even more of you.  (BTW I ignore the canada vs the us thing ;)  ) Anyways, this is not the rants on the samba.. We all know what a few certain resellers and others have done to the hobby but lets face it.  Its not really a hobby anymore, its a huge business and most of us can thank the internet for that.  I'd really appreciate it if we can just all chill and have a brew, hopefully an american one..  ;)  

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
Samba Or Ebay?
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2004, 07:24:34 PM »
Bring those American beer on up and lets drink em!!!!
 B)  
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline James Buchan

Samba Or Ebay?
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2004, 07:36:52 PM »
Ya I'm down with that - actually bring some of that american micro brew beer I've heard about - supposed to be nearly as good as canadian....  :P  

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Samba Or Ebay?
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2004, 08:02:52 PM »
I'd really appreciate it if we can just all chill and have a brew, hopefully an american one..  ;)
hey man, i'm in.

as long as it's pabst. :lol:  

Offline 66split

Samba Or Ebay?
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2004, 06:59:44 AM »
cool..none of that canadian moose piss you call beer!  I'm buyin at the next get together...hey James, when is Cindy going to work? lol