Author Topic: X Files  (Read 2901 times)

Offline rustybus

X Files
« on: February 28, 2006, 07:44:35 PM »
For those of you who wondered what ever happened to the xcasper ghia. I took this project on simpley cause I felt bad for a guy that got screwed over on e-bay. What I told steve (xcasper) That I could get his car through a inspection for 2000.00 (unpainted)The final product is the ghia painted and through inspectoin for under 3000.00 all material is included in this price. The pic's will be up in a few minute. any comment and questions will be answered.  I hope to have it in for inspection at the end of the month wish us luck.

Offline rustybus

X Files
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 07:56:37 PM »
I should also thank needles for hosting picture's, Steve-o for his assistance. And anybody else that gave me a deal on ghia bits that I needed

Offline Needles

• http://
X Files
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 08:03:14 PM »
For those of you who wondered what ever happened to the xcasper ghia. I took this project on simpley cause I felt bad for a guy that got screwed over on e-bay. What I told steve (xcasper) That I could get his car through a inspection for 2000.00 (unpainted)The final product is the ghia painted and through inspectoin for under 3000.00 all material is included in this price. The pic's will be up in a few minute. any comment and questions will be answered.  I hope to have it in for inspection at the end of the month wish us luck.

Offline rustybus

X Files
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 08:23:53 PM »
something else I forgot to mention is I wish I took more progress pictures so you guys could see how much body filler I didn't use. I hope some eye witnesses might chime in on this

Offline reefreshd_jive

X Files
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 08:37:17 PM »
well. i have to agree with chris. i have been over there a couple times a week since the summer when chris and i met.  i have known this secret, and watched it along the way. floor patches, re-aligned door, hand made front end section where the hood latches.. it is just damned impressive. it is a priviledge to know chris,  to have him as a friend to help me with my 63, and have most of the parts needed to build a couple of beetle, ghias, and buses aswell...

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
X Files
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 08:41:26 PM »
good job chris. i must commend you on taking on the task of getting this ghia back on the road. i saw it at adria imports when it first arrived in bc and it was a mess. then i saw it tucked in your garage and it looked like you where making some serious progress. it looks like the final product turned out quite nice, and all for a reasonable price aswell. you're a good man.

congrats steve (xcasper). hopefully you'll be behind the wheel soon.

good luck with the inspection. i'll be crossing my fingers for you guys.  B)  

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
X Files
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 08:47:40 PM »

SWEET.

egspot

Offline xcasper

X Files
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 09:30:15 PM »
Two thumbs up Chris!  There are no words to convey how pleased I am with the final bodywork - painting product as shown here. Chris did all the work himself for me, and I will be eternally grateful to him, and his family, for taking on my project car.  Since I was dumb enough not to know just what a huge undertaking this car was when I bought it, Chris was literally Moses leading me out of the wilderness, to use an analogy that explains where he has taken me.  I don't understand my facination with this particular automobile, or aircooled VW's particuarily, just that they are the only cars I am interested in owning, period.  It was a revelation to me that other people are so attached to these cars,  and I have benefited from all the advice and knowhow of some pretty great folks here at aircooled.  

-As for the workmanship, it was amazing to see Chris's talents a bit at a time, as he turned parts of other old wrecked  cars into bits and pieces for my \"ladybug\". (As my five year old has named it.)  I understand that the floorboard now has parts of a 63 beetle, and that some of the difficult repair work around the front \"bonnet?\" enclosure where the rain channel was completely rusted out is part of a beetle door, where the window curves. Many of the parts for my new- old ghia were manufactured by my resourceful friend Chris, I am fortunate indeed to have made his aquaintance.   All the quarter panels have been replaced either with metal or fiberglass, and the workmanship on these was absolutely seamless. The interior of the front door assembly was so Bolixed up by Adria imports when they repaired it that Chris had difficulty repairing their repair, but he did the best he could under tough circumstances. In fact, I would have to say the restoration is a good as it possibly could be, with the only other alternative being a complete professional resortation in a shop with the body off, with the acid dipping and everything. Since my objective was a daily driver, and never was a show car, and since I work for a living, this was never an option.  

There was quite literally rust throughout this Ghia.  As my Pop said at one point, when the car was in Vancouver, you could shovel sand through the floorboards.  When I bought this car off ebay, there were lots of pictures, and the quarter panels and the floorboards, around the front end, had all been bondoed, with gallons of the stuff. At some point someone sprayed the undercarriage with Grey paint, so on a cold morning in 2004, when I drove down to Poulsbo, I didn't pick up on the fact that the rust was so very extensive.  The car was definately misrepresented. Yes, the door was hanging, but I felt that because I had put a bid on ebay, I was committed.  The person I bought the car from was an agent for someone else, and thus had a very high rating indeed.  It wasn't until I brought the car back across the border that I began to realize my mistake. The car sat for three months at my sister's farm, until I had it towed into a shop in Vancouver.  Their bodywork estimate of $5000 dollars changed after the car sat in their shop for a month and they had started work on it.  All of a sudden the estimate became (at least) $15,000, and they already wanted 1000 from me for stripping the car apart.  The project looked to be going into the toilet, and I had just flushed $4000 dollars.  Can anyone here spell  m-o-t-h-e-r-i-n-l-a-w?  Ouch.

At one point Chris agreed to give me an opinion on my car firsthand, and he felt that the car could in fact be restored.  That it was still safe, and the safety of the frame could be repaired.  There was no rust on the (beam)? Center part.   My '74 has a new life as a Royal blue baby, and hasn't looked this good since it rolled off the assembly line.  What a first class paint job, and a first class act.

- All of this repair work has been qoing on quietly at Chris's house, and it has been murder being patient for this last day waiting for the big painting day which was last saturday.   There is now quite graphic proof of what a talented automotive wizard RustyBus is, and he deserves and has my  respect and admiration all around.  As he mentions in his post, we hope that we will have the car back together soon, and actually on the road. As a side note, I am still married, although sleeping in the backyard.  For you married guys, you may already know that this can actually be an an improvement at times.  lol.  I intend to take lots more photos of the ladybug as it comes together, and hopefully I can get some of them on this website as a follow up.  Best of luck to all of you with project cars, and I sincerely thank Chris for his dedication, work, and support, his wife for hospitality and coffee, his son for playing with my daughter and pushing my car out of the garage, and his entire family for hosting my little car. They are just the best.  -xcasper-  

Offline Brent

X Files
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 09:56:59 PM »
Awesome work Chris,  Its amazing how much work you did since we saw it last week.  Color looks great.   :rockon:  :rockon:
Brent  

Offline ScreamnStroker

X Files
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 10:00:38 PM »
Great work Chris :rockon:
Just awesome! :rockon:  

Offline LIQUID

X Files
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 12:12:57 AM »
it sure looks alot different from when i towed it to your fathers house. like i said to you on the drive to maple ridge i didn't think it was impossible or that it would cause a divorce. mad props to chris for stepping up and helping a fellow asf member. awesome work. looks great, i like the color and steve you will have to come by and take me for a burn.

dwane
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 12:15:16 PM by LIQUID »

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
X Files
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 09:00:39 AM »
Nothing short of spectacular.
Outstanding work, Chris.

Steve, if you need a hand sorting out what goes where during re-assembly or wiring, I have Ghia expeirence.
Jason Hamilton

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
X Files
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 10:05:13 AM »
Great Job Chris! That very cool that you took on this project and helped out a fellow VW owner.
Chris is a stand up guy who has helped me locate parts many times when I was in a jam.
Congrats!

Now get over here and finish the body work on the Heb for me, Hahaha

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
X Files
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 01:35:44 PM »
Congrats to Xcasper, after all the crap you went thu you deserve it!
Hats off the chris, The only guy that could do it (for under the price of 15000) One of the best people ive met in the VW community!!
I love you man!!!...................................now paint my car !!!
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
X Files
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 03:52:09 PM »
Now get over here and finish the body work on the Heb for me, Hahaha
...................................now paint my car !!!

forget that.  :lol:

i think chris should now have some \"chris time\" and spend it getting his oval finished and on the road so we can all go cruising together.  B)  

Offline rustybus

X Files
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2006, 05:39:53 PM »

forget that.  :lol:

i think chris should now have some "chris time" and spend it getting his oval finished and on the road so we can all go cruising together.  B)
I wish as soon as this is gone I have 2 more to do one is an oval . The other one is vwjohn's thing I will be fixing it for his sons for no charge it shouldn't be to bad it was just a roll over :blink: . I hope to get them both here at the same time . Because both jobs are so different Ican move from on to another when I hit a dead end.

Don't worry I will do my best to get a car on the road asap.

As for the kind words from everybody thankyou :blush:  I didn't expect that I thought I would get The oppisite :huh:

By the way when is the spring opener swapmeet at air speed. I may need a few thing parts ;)  

Offline egspot

X Files
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2006, 05:55:53 PM »

forget that.  :lol:

i think chris should now have some "chris time" and spend it getting his oval finished and on the road so we can all go cruising together.  B)
I wish as soon as this is gone I have 2 more to do one is an oval . The other one is vwjohn's thing I will be fixing it for his sons for no charge it shouldn't be to bad it was just a roll over :blink: . I hope to get them both here at the same time . Because both jobs are so different Ican move from on to another when I hit a dead end.

Don't worry I will do my best to get a car on the road asap.

As for the kind words from everybody thankyou :blush:  I didn't expect that I thought I would get The oppisite :huh:

By the way when is the spring opener swapmeet at air speed. I may need a few thing parts ;)

Spring opener swapmeet at air speed?

WoW!

Offline surgerypending

X Files
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2006, 06:32:54 PM »
Nice job Chris!

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Offline Hansk

X Files
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2006, 07:52:10 PM »
Awesome Chris!!   Nice work and a happy ending for the story too.  
Big fat black fastback

Offline jonny

X Files
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2006, 10:10:00 PM »
Chris,
Good on you for stepping up and helping out someone who obviously got a raw deal. Nice job on the bodywork/repairs. Almost makes me miss doing bodywork, almost.

Russ

X Files
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 08:14:29 AM »
did this car ever go through inspection and become the driver xcasper was hoping for?
i was just thinking about it and wondered how it all worked out in the end
looking good

Offline Bug Maniac

X Files
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 12:20:26 PM »
Nice story, VW people salt of the earth THE BEST :rockon:  :rockon:  

Offline rustybus

X Files
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2006, 05:57:59 PM »
We got the motor in shortly after but never got it running that day. I believe due to a ground problem :blush: . Then I got attacked by a japanese car in my driveway :ph34r: . That slowed me down three weeks. Now that my shoulder is sorta healed I hope to have it running this sunday. If any one is bored they can come out and help that day :D .

Chris

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
X Files
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 07:05:13 PM »
I think i might just do that!!.................What's your adress again??
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline egspot

X Files
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006, 07:09:22 PM »
I think i might just do that!!.................What's your adress again??

I may be able to get out on good behavior and help too.

e-mail me egspot@shaw.ca

Offline rustybus

X Files
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 08:59:19 PM »
Well I guess I should have talked to the wife be fore I posted about sunday , cause she is doing our youngest boys b-day on sunday at three  :(  

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
X Files
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 09:11:17 PM »
Chris, I just come across this post... Dood, Karma gods are with you!!! Way to make the VW community look excellent once again :rockon:  
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline rustybus

X Files
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2006, 10:52:46 AM »
Went through inspection on saturday and failed due to a back brake issue . Worked on it saturday afternoon had it fixed but too late to go back.  Tracy took it in monday in the am cause I was sick as a dog .  And she is done only 4 months behind schedule .  Still needs a polish to get out some water marks and I have to change the drivers door glass (welding splater :blink: you think I would have learnt by now) Anyway I'll take care of that in the fall .  

Hope you enjoy it steve

Offline rustybus

X Files
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 11:00:54 AM »

here's a quick pic

Offline egspot

X Files
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 11:16:00 AM »

WOW! looking very good.